Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
still chuggin' along
1981 Corolla SR5
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family has had its fair share of bad luck with cars this summer. One is with my brother's old 91 rx-7, which when we were driving back from the mechanics, we saw smoke start coming from the hood, and before we got to turn it off, it turned itself off. Battery was loose for some inexplicable reason and half the wiring stuff was short-circuited. Same car, two months later, tranny fails. Can't find a cheap one at a junkyard so its a 600 rebuild(this is right when we were going to sell it).
So then my other brother's 93 camry's tranny starts to slip and has to be rebuilt too. 1000 buck job. A/C isn't working in my corolla and its around 100 degrees in the middle of summer. My dad's turbo 89 rx-7 needs an engine rebuild since the rear rotor isnt getting compression. New starter for our family van too.

So this summer we spent about $3000+ on car repairs. Anyone else have bad luck this summer?

·
Registered
188 Posts
not as bad as your bad luck..but i got rear ended and keyed on passenger side within 1 month period of time on my 2004 rollaS....d*** punks! :disappoin

·
On The Street
268 Posts
some fuck spit thier gum on my windshield and it speared in the hot sun it was a bitch to get off. and then some ladys shoppin cart hit my passenger side door and left these big white streaks. but it came off with wax.

·
Registered
Celica
49 Posts
at the beginning of the summer my water pump started to leak so I replaced it, about two weeks later, while visiting a friend out of town, one of my hoses sprung a leak and slowly drained my radiator (without me noticing) until my temperature started to spike, had to leave the car on the side of the road over night and come back and fix it the next day (the hose sucked to pull too, it was under the alternator). Anyway, about two weeks after this I was driving home for the weekend and about an hour out I check my mirror's to find I have a nice smoke screen behind me, the temp hadn't had a chance to spike yet, so I pull over and find coolant pouring from the engine compartment(It was even coming out over the grille!) I called the 'rents and waited for the car to cool, when I popped the hood everything was so drenched I couldn't tell where the leak was, so I looked at the underside of the hood, there was a huge splash mark on it, traced it to another hose, it just totally blew, I replaced all the remaining hoses after that. plus I replaced the radiator about 4 weeks ago (it was running warm). And on top of it all, after all that work, I ended up trading the car(90 loyale 200k) to my sister for an 81 celica-130k (which needs some minor fixes now aswell).

P.S. Sorry my stories so long.

·
New 2006 Corolla LE owner
1,209 Posts
2001 Neon SE- New tranny, speed sensor wire, oxygen sensor, new dopor handle now, Some other things...

Thats why im trading in for a Toyota. One problem after another with my neon and oh yea I take care ofg it! Damn cheap parts on Neons...

·
still chuggin' along
1981 Corolla SR5
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ToyotaMan1281 said:
2001 Neon SE- New tranny, speed sensor wire, oxygen sensor, new dopor handle now, Some other things...

Thats why im trading in for a Toyota. One problem after another with my neon and oh yea I take care ofg it! Damn cheap parts on Neons...
damn, a 2001 car giving that much trouble. That's why I stick with my toyota.

·
New 2006 Corolla LE owner
1,209 Posts
damn, a 2001 car giving that much trouble. That's why I stick with my toyota.

Good Idea.

Toyota= Good Parts
Neons= Cheap Parts (thats why there easy to work on)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
well.....my brother had altanater problems and he need his sterrting colomb replaced now on his 99 prelude thats about 800 my dad just got a rebuild on his 1994 astro van....about 2000...home jobe ...andmy mom main computer fried...but under warranty 2003 tribute...it was a good summer comaerd to last year

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had my licence for a day (got it at lunchtime) and at about 10:30 i blew a power steering hose, and then a week later i killed my spark plugs(yes...all for died cause its a old motor) and then another week later i had a rotor cap die, and thats about it so far and yet ive only been driving her for 2 months, lol

(its a 1991 celica ST-184R with a 3s-fe, 2.0i), lol only 301,472Km's on the clock :p

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
I part owned a hot rod shop with +100 muscle cars in it. One of my biz partners turned out to be a closet crack head on his first binge, it took the ATF, DEA, SWAT and two hostage nego. to get him out of our boiler room. We lost a handful of cars on his rampage including Chuck Berry's Caddy.
(TN search - American Graffiti Auto Museum)

...good luck?... I walked away cleared of any and all liability. :D

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Well, one of the dearly departed Cressida's lower rear control arms (right side IIRC) decided to break off one of its mounting points with 4 people in the car one time... *clunk* and the car leans to one side.

·
Registered
Celica
49 Posts
Back in highschool my first car was an 84' corolla wagon (brown), the first day driving it (on my way to highschool) the clutch stopped engaging, I drove the whole way, through like a bizillian stop lights (you think they're annoying now, try starting on a hill without a clutch:D), and finally made it to school. I ended up borrowing a wrench from the janitor, grabbed one of my buddies during lunch and bled the clutch in the parking lot of the highschool. Never had another problem (with the clutch at least, there's another story about puddles of gasoline but... that one can wait). the car cost me 200 bucks, lasted me all the way through highschool when I sold it for... 200 bucks, best deal I ever got on a car (except for maybe the subaru I'm about to buy... 88,000 original miles-$700 :cool: )

·
What the Pho?
2000 Solara
1,433 Posts
Wierd, when i first had my car, I used to take my mom shopping and shiz. (16) 3rd I was with her, guy side hit me gently. Week later, some one dinged the door, within the first year, mom drove and got rear ended. 6 months later, she drives and hits a baby dear laying in the road.

All revolving around my mom. And they say white and silver color cars are bad luck in the family!.. I think its kinda tru, although I hate believeing that kinds shiz~

·
Registered
399 Posts
I can feel all your pain. I helped my gf with her car. I forgot to change the egr valve before she went to smog the car, and it didn't pass. What was worse, was the power steering pump was leaking, the suspension had to be changed, and she had DMV problems cause they didn't ahve paper work that we sent in. Now I find that her car needs an alignment and tires are wearing out funny.

Another friend bent his valves, and we are rebuilding the head, and his gf's car was keyed by some jerk.

One other bad thing was my friends fuel pump died.

I hope things get better for all of us.

·
Relax, guy!
100 Posts
I turned on the air conditioning in my old Pontiac one day when I was going up a hill, which caused the puny little engine to die, which caused me to get rear-ended by a tailgater.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts