Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just washed the salt off my truck today and noticed some REALLY bad chipping in front of the rear wheel where that black thing is to prevent chipping.. I have had the truck for a month and that area looks like i bought a 10 year old truck a month ago. has anyone else noticed this on thier truck?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Jd, bummer. New truck?? Wax, wax and more wax if you haven't already! Do they cinder the roads where you are?? I remember in hi-altitude parts of CA they would put pumice on the roads--lava chips! Those things were so sharp you could cut yourself on them, but they break the ice and of course, "break" the paint too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here they sand the roads with gravel, stones the size of small marbles the only thing that helps are running boards. Toyota's answer is it's not their fault.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Some dealers will pay to have it repainted; some dealers won't. It's a tough issue.

Some trucks have the problem, some don't. All you can do is get some tube steps or running boards. So far my Tacoma hasn't had this issue.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jdsmitty10 said:
I just washed the salt off my truck today and noticed some REALLY bad chipping in front of the rear wheel where that black thing is to prevent chipping.. I have had the truck for a month and that area looks like i bought a 10 year old truck a month ago. has anyone else noticed this on thier truck?
Go back to the dealer to have it documented and try and get them to kick in running boards. If you do a search on "paint chipping" you will find lots of posts from when the 05's came out. I was one of those and ended up retaining an attorney. It cost Toyota a lot more than $300 running boards!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the same issue wtih my Tundra nearly 3 years ago. This issue is well documented on Toyota products in heavy salt/sand belt areas... Quite honestly I don't know what wax you boys use but they don't stop a pea sized peice of granite from chipping painted plastic work.

I was able to convince Toyota that they should repaint and 3M the fender flares on the rear. They balked at that request and basically told me to jump off a cliff. I then called a meeting with the Regional District Manager and I went out in the parking lot at my work and took pictures of other Tundra's and a few Taco's (who at the time had the chipping paint!!) and compiled them into a PowerPoint presentation. Most of the trucks were like mine, under a year old. I then took measurements and showed that with the TRD PKG the supplied factory mud flaps did not cover the outside 2" of the tires even while in a straight line.

With that evidence they repainted my fenders and had custom 3M done on them. Also, they touched-up the rear lower cab corner for the same issue and applied 3M to that. In the end when I traded my Tundra in a few months ago I never had anymore damage. I swear by the thick 3M they put on.

The Regional Manager knew that the switch to a "cleaner"paint process and water based primers had thinned the paint thickness and made it less durable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Same Issue on a 05 Tacoma

I had the same issue on my 2005 TRD Offroad. The front corners of the bed, both rockers on either side and also all four doors were chipped all to hell within three months of owning the truck. I Took my truck to my dealer who after a little bitching back and forth came through and painted the bed. When I picked up my truck after it was painted I made sure they were aware again on the problems with the doors and rockers. They then took the truck back and repainted the rockers and doors. When I picked the truck up the second time, (raining out) it all appeared to be fixed. The next day I looked at my truck and saw a desticnt line going across all four doors where they stopped painting. It appeared that they did not attempt to fade or blend the paint.

I took my truck back now for a third time to bitch about the paint. After getting a little fix on the doors to blend the paint better, I filed a lemon law claim with Kimmel and Silverman out of Philadelphia, PA regarding cheap paint issues. Don't let Toyota tell you paint chips are not covers under warranty, under normal driving conditions. After a few months I walked away with a good size settlement and got to keep my truck.

·
Registered
539 Posts
jadamjr said:
I had the same issue on my 2005 TRD Offroad. The front corners of the bed, both rockers on either side and also all four doors were chipped all to hell within three months of owning the truck. I Took my truck to my dealer who after a little bitching back and forth came through and painted the bed. When I picked up my truck after it was painted I made sure they were aware again on the problems with the doors and rockers. They then took the truck back and repainted the rockers and doors. When I picked the truck up the second time, (raining out) it all appeared to be fixed. The next day I looked at my truck and saw a desticnt line going across all four doors where they stopped painting. It appeared that they did not attempt to fade or blend the paint.

I took my truck back now for a third time to bitch about the paint. After getting a little fix on the doors to blend the paint better, I filed a lemon law claim with Kimmel and Silverman out of Philadelphia, PA regarding cheap paint issues. Don't let Toyota tell you paint chips are not covers under warranty, under normal driving conditions. After a few months I walked away with a good size settlement and got to keep my truck.
I love when the little guy wins!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Like a lot of people I had this problem on my 05. The dealer repainted it, but did a lousy job and left buffer holograms all over the sides of the truck. No body shop where they paint and buff by hand is ever going to be able to match the perfect appearance of the factory robot job. Even today, when the sun hits the side of the truck just right, you can still see all of the holograms.
I thought this problem was limited to the 05's because I haven't heard of anyone complaining about it since then, but apparently not. That sucks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They repainted mine last May. I washed it for the first time yesterday after a couple snows and driving over treated roads....not surprised to see it is still f*****g chipping. The whole new vehicle experience has blown. This is the last Toyota I buy............

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Matt, is that with running boards? And if so, did they make you buy toyota brand running boards to get it repainted? it sucks, they keep selling new trucks and letting it happen too. if theres a problem with the set up of the truck why not fix it so customers are happy.

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
I'd be happy is Toyota put some 3M rockfilm on the rockers where it is susceptible to chipping...or painting the truck in another state.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma AC 4x4
217 Posts
I have had two '06 Tacomas that have done that. My dealer claims that I am the only one that has complained about it to them, and that they haven't seen any other Tacomas with the paint chipping off the the front of the bed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jdsmitty10 said:
Matt, is that with running boards? And if so, did they make you buy toyota brand running boards to get it repainted? it sucks, they keep selling new trucks and letting it happen too. if theres a problem with the set up of the truck why not fix it so customers are happy.
No...I shouldn't have to put those ugly things on my truck to keep the paint on IMO. But I may do it anyway to protect it. Never had to do it with any of my previous Rangers or Broncos.

My 99 Ranger with 80K+ miles had more paint on the fenders than this POS does with 30K and repainted....

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They told me i have to buy them for them to repaint it. my 01 Ranger edge w/70000 hardly had a chip on the rear fender flares. it did have step bars on it tho. im gonna fight until i atleast get free running boards out of it. its snowin like hell here and i am afraid to take my 4x4 out because the paint will fall off it..thats pretty bad. Ill take the RSX and risk getting stuck i guess haha.

Jon

07 TRD OFFROAD w/ 1500 miles and no paint on the fenders

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know what you mean....I used to love it when it snowed. Now as I hear the paint being ripped off the sides of the truck I can't enjoy driving in it. I always have to ask my G/F to drive her Envoy....it's kinda humiliating.

Everything else about the truck is fine but ownership of it has sucked big time. That's the fun of buying a new vehicle...keeping it looking good. One good summer is all I got.

POS....

:cursin:

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
This isn't anything new - although I agree it should have been addressed on the newest generation. My '98 looked like someone sandblasted the rockers every winter. I can't vouch for the pre-Tacoma trucks, but know this problem is VERY COMMON from the 95.5 Tacoma forward. Any dealer that tells you otherwise is hitting the crack pipe too often.

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
Subaruguy86 said:
My truck has some clear plastic thing on the back fender for that.
Mine too. I'm sure it's an '07 thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ForTech said:
This isn't anything new - although I agree it should have been addressed on the newest generation. My '98 looked like someone sandblasted the rockers every winter. I can't vouch for the pre-Tacoma trucks, but know this problem is VERY COMMON from the 95.5 Tacoma forward. Any dealer that tells you otherwise is hitting the crack pipe too often.
Wish I had known.....wouldn't have bought the dern thing. Guess I should have researched it. My fault...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts