Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving my 94 1.8 corolla for 2 years now. Recently I've been getting about 220-250 miles before having to fill the tank up again. Any ideas why? And what needs to be done to fix this?!?! :[

·
Registered
398 Posts
Tune up

·
Registered
398 Posts
let me rephrase this as it seems you may have missed the idea...

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter, air filter, plug wires, cap, rotor, spark plugs?

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
160 Posts
the fuel tank is 13.2 gallons
I noticed too that the owners manual says 13.2, but then it also says 11.2 IMP (Imperical).
When the low fuel indicator lights up and my gas gauge gets all the way down to E, I fill it up and it tops off just a tad shy of 11 gallons.
If the tank is 13.2, then something's has to be wrong with my fuel gauge.

I have noticed that it fluctuates. One day it will show a full tank and then the next day the needle will be half way between full and 3/4 even though I barely drove 25 miles after commuting to and from work the previous day.
I believe it is attributed to what people refer to as the fuel sending unit or something.
Very strange.

JT

·
You asked for it...
392 Posts
the owners manual says 13.2, but then it also says 11.2 IMPIJT
You are in the US, so you are using US gallons. That's 13.2 for your car.

When the low fuel indicator lights up and my gas gauge gets all the way down to E, I fill it up and it tops off just a tad shy of 11 gallons.
If the tank is 13.2, then something's has to be wrong with my fuel gauge.
IJT
Not at all. the light is supposed to come on when there are approximately 2 gallons still in the tank, to give you some reserve so you don't run out of gas. Looks like you are pretty darn close.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
My low fuel light usually comes on when there is less than a quarter of a tank left.

Yeah, I don't think I ever recall filling up all 13.2 gallons, I closest I came was a little over 12 gallons and the car already sputtered and died just as I was pulling into the gas station :eek:

·
Proud 93 Corolla owner
Corolla 93
675 Posts
hi 2 all, now that i`m back from my vacations i can share my fuel tips

A: don`t make hard accelerations or for too long "more than 3 secs is a waste of fuel"

B: Drive behind a truck or an SUV or something big enough to disrupt the air in front of your car, thus reducing Drag, reducing the power needed to maintain a certain speed, the result better MPG!!!

C: anything over 55 MPH will increase your drag to double or even quadruple values.

Quote:
Relationship to velocity

It is well known that the frictional force of aerodynamic drag increases significantly with vehicle speed.[1] As early as the 1920s engineers began to consider automobile shape in reducing aerodynamic drag at higher speeds. By the 1950s German and British automotive engineers were systematically analyzing the effects of automotive drag for the higher performance vehicles.[2] By the late 1960s scientists also became aware of the significant increase in sound levels emitted by automobiles at high speed. These effects were understood to increase the intensity of sound levels for adjacent land uses at a non-linear rate.[3] Soon highway engineers began to design roadways to consider the speed effects of aerodynamic drag produced sound levels, and automobile manufacturers considered the same factors in vehicle design.
From wikipedia

D: Drive in the correct gear when Taking-off, when cruising choose 5th gear so less RPM less fuel spent.

E: Remove Rain Guards, they increase drag, also the front Registration plate must be offset from the center or tilted downwards to reduce drag.

F: check your tire pressure. Rolling resistance is reduced if properly inflated, less force spent carriyng the tires, just weight not useless drag.

G: Weight check, remove all unused items, ALL OF THEM!!!

H: Spare tire: deflate and carry a foot pump, saves as much as 50% weight.

I: Tools, take only what you really need... more steel more power for dead weight.

J: COAST WHENEVER YOU CAN!!!!!!

K: A/C compressor is always taking power away so ON or OFF, is the same thing

thats my secret try it and comment your results

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thank you for the tips as Im sure most of these some people know and some of these are dangerous.

The mileage he is getting is too terrible but leads back to my last post in this thread? Am I being ignored here lol?

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
I wouldn't recommend drafting a large vehicle or deflating the spare tire just to save a few pennies.

But removing any excess weight you don't need and keeping a consistent vehicle speed and a low load on the engine will go pretty far in helping your fuel economy.

But keeping your car in tip-top running condition like Justin727 said is important as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree, Don't deflate your spare tire. Carrying a foot pump takes up space and really defeats the purpose of having a spare in the first place. God knows when Murphy's law comes knocking it's going to be raining when you get a flat.

Good driving habits are the key to saving gas and keeping your car in good mechanical condition plays a big part of that. keep up to schedule on maintenance and check your tire inflation on a regular basis and especially before you leave on a long trip. I've been driving 30 odd years and I've always had the attitude that If I do break down it's not going to be through lack of maintenance. Do the work at home, it's a lot easier than having to do it on the side of the road or in the dark.

I once got two flats in the space of 20 minutes in the middle of nowhere, lucky for me my dad insisted that I throw an extra spare in the back before I left. It saved my bacon that day and ever since then Ive always carried an extra spare with me on those long drives.

Saving a few bucks is one thing, being smart about it is another. Saving a couple of dollars on gas can sometimes be a big price to pay in the long run if you have to call a tow truck to come and fix a tire or a broken belt. Which reminds me, keep your old belts and put them in with the spare along with a few commonly used tools.

In 30 years I've have two mechanical breakdowns. Once an Idler pulley went out on my chevy truck, I was lucky I had a spare, the other time was a fuel pump but I managed to nurse the truck back home.

There's an old saying "Penny wise, pound foolish"

·
You asked for it...
392 Posts
If the original requester (surfer) ever comes back - try what Justin727 suggested, plus, the next time you fill up, figure out the actual gas mileage.

You say you have to fill up sooner than you used to, but unless you equate that to specific mpg, it could be that the light is coming on sooner than it used to, or the gauge is screwed.

TICAVA - I see now why you are getting 500 miles on a tank, but most people don't do all those "hypermiling" things for various reasons, so most of us get a lot less.

I won't go into what I agree with or disagree with on those techniques, but I have to ask about deflating the spare: The air in a tire supplies 50% of the weight of a spare? Is that true?

I've used that technique before, but didn't realize it until I needed the spare! :lol:

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
160 Posts
Thank you for the tips as Im sure most of these some people know and some of these are dangerous.

The mileage he is getting is too terrible but leads back to my last post in this thread? Am I being ignored here lol?
Hey! Who are you? Do I know you? LOL! :lol:
Nah! You're not being ignored.

Regularly maintaining your car's engine is definitely key to getting good MPG.
I bought my 1997 used last August and right off the bat, I got a complete tune up, changed the timing belt, water pump, water pump rear hose, crankshaft and camshaft seals, thermostat, serpentine belts, radiator hoses, and coolant. The mechanic I took it to said there was a tiny little crack in the exhaust manifold which was causing the thermostat to malfunction so he replaced that too.

My car runs great and it averages 34 MPG.
I'm currently running my tires (195/60-14) at 31 psi, but I'm going to increase it to see if that will improve MPG.

I wouldn't recommend drafting a large vehicle or deflating the spare tire just to save a few pennies.

But removing any excess weight you don't need and keeping a consistent vehicle speed and a low load on the engine will go pretty far in helping your fuel economy.
Opps! Yes. I have been guilty drafting, but have stopped doing it.

One thing I really HATE are people who cannot keep a constant speed. I don't like to be a passenger when riding with someone who does this because it really bugs the hell out of me. Those people are what I call pedal pumpers because I can feel the car accelerating decelerating accelerating decelerating constantly. This constant speeding up and slowing down is very annoying and is such a waste of fuel.

Another thing I can't stand is, while I'm driving on the interstate or highway, I see someone pass me by and then a few minutes later I pass them by and then the cycle repeats. That really annoys me and so I either have to slow down or increase my speed just to get away from them.

JT

·
Proud 93 Corolla owner
Corolla 93
675 Posts
yeap deflating the tire saves as much as 50% weight, and the or a foot pump can be placed in the jack spaces provided by toyota, there are two -2- one on each side of the trunk, one for the foot pump and one for the jack, that`s how i do it.

Drafting is Dangerous if you drive too close to the other vehicle. :naughty:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Let me tell ya. 325 miles to the tank that last me at the very least a week is pretty darn good @ $21 a pop..

I feel sorry for some of the people whom complain that they aren't @ 400 miles to the tank. I've owned my fair share of trucks from gas that I had to fill up 3 times a week at the most expensive of $95 a pop to a diesel with an 8" lift on 26's @ $128 a pop twice a week

Hopefully the OP post and tells us if he has kept up with his car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive got the same problem, ive been getting 240miles to a FULL TANK, i dont drive hard, i have a 95 1.6L 3speed,... i recently got my Fuel Filter, air filter, plugs wires etc etc ALL done... and i put on all new brakes rotors and calipers... and the car still gives me 240miles... im going to get my injectors checked out next

·
Registered
567 Posts
asside from the old thread:hammer:

you're getting the right mpg with that car so don't kill yourself trying to get more.
240/ 9.5 = 25.25 mpg = average for 1.6.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts