Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so I have a 1993 Toyota Camry LE (Built in 1992) I have noticed that I get horrible gas mileage, I have consistant driving habits, I dont stomp on the accelerator. The car is currently getting 14.92 MPG as low as 13 MPG sometimes (last time I filled up). So far the only thing that I could think of would be changing the air filter hasn't been changed since previous owner did it in '02. I know driving in the city can really kill gas mpg, but I would think it could ever be that much. When I went onto the epa website, it said it should be getting a lil over 20 mpg. Anybody know?

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
:eek: you should change the air filter .. then get some sea foam i heard i helps alot with gas millage ... i never had one of my cars too bad so i havent got a good idea how well it works tho. also doing a tune up would help with milage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Replace the fuel filter, if it was anything like mine..... it was so clogged it took ten minutes to get half a cup of gas out of it.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
asscarracer said:
OK, so I have a 1993 Toyota Camry LE (Built in 1992) I have noticed that I get horrible gas mileage, I have consistant driving habits, I dont stomp on the accelerator. The car is currently getting 14.92 MPG as low as 13 MPG sometimes (last time I filled up). So far the only thing that I could think of would be changing the air filter hasn't been changed since previous owner did it in '02. I know driving in the city can really kill gas mpg, but I would think it could ever be that much. When I went onto the epa website, it said it should be getting a lil over 20 mpg. Anybody know?
Holy god man:eek: :eek: Why didn't you tell me. Replace your Fuel Filter and your Air filter. Also, use some sea foam or just buy some fuel injecter cleaner and use that. That should help you big time:thumbup:

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,072 Posts
Check your EGR to see if it is stuck open feeding your engine warm air all the time.
Look for loose or leaking vacuum lines.

Ofcourse do the Air, and fuel filters.

Then check fuel economy again. It may be an O2 sensor as well, but try the above first.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i looked in my matience book thingy that toyota included with the car and i cant find anything about the fuel filter, any help?
John

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,583 Posts
Toyota claims that fuel filters are good for the life of the car. Common sense should come into play here. Ask youself what a filter is supposed to do. Now do you think it needs replacing?! It's relatively inexpensive and will only make you engine happy.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
choked fuel filter givin bad milage? a slight rethink here..
Ignition and airflow are my bets. Also check your vacuum tubes.
Swap an airfilter in and change plugs, get some injection cleaner you can mix in your tand and mark milage. If you are still guzzling, a trip to a real mechanic can save you some gas $$$.
The big plus, your car will feel much nicer to drive after fixin'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts