Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got under the hood of my newer 89 Camry. I bought it non-running for $100 and I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with it. I ran if for about 5 minutes to get the new oil moved around and to flush the engine block. It was knocking a heck of a lot so after a few minutes I shut it down.

Changed the oil, the filter had almost no oil in it.
Flushed & changed the radiator fluid, new thermostat.
Changed the ATF.
Flushed & bled the brakes.
Changed the fuel filter.
New Air filter.
Drained the gas tank.
Cleaned the throttle body.
New spark plugs.
Compression is 150psi in all 4 cylinders.

After doing all of this I pulled the valve cover off because I was worred about no oil in the filter. The head/cams were covered in chared black, dry oil. Didn't look like any new oil had come up into the head. Also while running the oil light was on. I made sure the oil pressure sensor was plugged in, all the vaccum lines look good. This sounds like a bad oil pump to me? Anyone else have any insight?

BTW, I have no problems pulling the engine & swapping the pump. I did 2 engine swaps over the summer so I just think it might be easier to pull the engine and do the timing belt and the oil pump. The only other thing I guess it could be is bad timing but I need to borrow a timing light to find out and I don't want to keep running the engine if the oil pump is out.

I'll try and throw some pictures on here tonight.

·
Grenaded piston
6,593 Posts
mk3glx said:
This sounds like a bad oil pump to me? Anyone else have any insight?
Sounds like a bad oil pump to me too.

I would also drop the oil pan and check the oil pickup.

The knocking is not good. Check the rod and main bearings while the oil pan is off.

The only other thing I guess it could be is bad timing but I need to borrow a timing light to find out and I don't want to keep running the engine if the oil pump is out.
Even if the the timing is off, the oil pump still runs. Unless the pump is bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts