Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bad run of luck lately. First the ignition key cylinder locked up (replaced). Then the battery went bad (replaced). Now I have plenty of juice, but it won't start. 1 Click when I turn the key, that's it. Tonight I will check the fuse.

Any ideas?

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Get the rebuild kit from your local dealer; two $11 copper pieces. The biggest PITA will be getting the starter out; all else is a piece of CAKE~

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer never heard of a rebuild kit. They wanted either $80 for the Starter Armature(s) or $160 for a reman Starter Motor...

·
Registered
92 pickup xtra cab
563 Posts
you can take the starter apart and clean the contacts, that what i did with mine and its been working great. 2 hours to do the remove, clean and install.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
What you're looking for is "starter contacts" - and if you're going to all the trouble to remove the starter and open it up, don't just clean them, replace 'em - they're not expensive (and the dealer should carry them - so I would go to a different dealer than the shysters who tried to sell you a new starter.) Search the forum for starter contacts to get info on where to get the parts and how to install.

·
Registered
44 Posts
TOTALLY AGREE!!! cheap fix. search for one of Sydney's posts, he normally goes to great lengths explaining everything and he lists sites to get them. and no, the dealership WILL NOT know anything about them ... lol.. my dealership wanted $75 for just a heater hose!!!! I was appalled and will not be buying parts from them again, it was $18 at Napa (which is still alot for a bent piece of hollowed rubber!).

And yes, my truck did the same thing about 10k miles ago, replaced one of the contacts (only one normally goes bad) lubed the starter up and she's still going strong!

here's a link for replacing the contacts on a v6, should help!
linky

JT

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here are the most popular starter solenoid terminal numbers
28226-64370 list 7.15
28226-74070 list 13.43
Are these the starter contacts and if so, where do I get them from?

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Are these the starter contacts and if so, where do I get them from?

I got mine from the dealer. I think they are called "starter contact repair kits"
You will need two..

The job is really easy, remove starter (thats a beatch, but a super long extension from the front will get one bolt and removing the access panel in the fender will yeild a straight path to the other bolt (use 6" extension).

Remove the three screws, remove cover (make sure the little ball at the end where the plunger goes in stays in place, if not you will not find out till you try and start it). The repair is super obvious once you get it open, you will see how the contacts get worn.,

Give the starter a clean and pop it in. Good to go for another 150,000miles.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I think you have to get the Denso part # off the starter to order the starter contacts - there are several different types.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IThe job is really easy, remove starter (thats a beatch, but a super long extension from the front will get one bolt and removing the access panel in the fender will yeild a straight path to the other bolt (use 6" extension).
Thanks, but I hit a bit of a snag. First, the starter is definitely not original. Too clean.
Next - your procedure above implies I can get at the two retaining bolts from the front...I see the ends of the bolts in the starter housing, but the heads of the bolts I can't see. The other end is the bell housing...and the bolts appear to be buried inside. What gives? How do I access these?

·
I Piss Exellence
89 Pickup
75 Posts
check that the terminals on your battery are tight. i had the same problem. turns out my positive on my battery was a little loose

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The battery is brand new and the terminals and wire connections are tight and clean.

Still trying to figure out how to exactly remove the starter itself. How do I access the business ends of the bolts (look to be inside the transmission housing).

What are the symptoms of a burned out coil on the starter motor?

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Removing the starter is pretty easy.

Remove the access panel from the inner fender (A few 10mm bolts)
Get the first bolt (one on each side of the starter, you cannot really see the inside bolt from the side of the truck) with a 6" extension.
To get the inner side, go in from the front of the truck. I used 5 or 6 extensions ranging from 2-6". This allowed enough play in the extensions so I could snake the socket up onto the inner bolt.

remove and then finesse the starter out the access panel hole.

www.4crawler.com - check his site out for instructions and pictures on how to rebuild the starter (and craploads of helpfull info about toyotas)

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
)
Get the first bolt (one on each side of the starter, you cannot really see the inside bolt from the side of the truck) with a 6" extension.
To get the inner side, go in from the front of the truck. I used 5 or 6 extensions ranging from 2-6". This allowed enough play in the extensions so I could snake the socket up onto the inner bolt.
You're instructing me to go in from the front - the only bolt heads I can get sockets to are the covers for the solenoid and the retaining bolts for the motor. The actual housing bolts appear to be inside the bell housing and cannot be accessed from the front - only from the rear. I can't even see the bolt heads to put a wrench or socket on them at all.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update - There is no voltage at the solenoid when the key is turned to start.
No voltage at the relay connectors either.
The ignition switch tests out Ok.
What else to check?
Clutch Start Cancel does not check out, but would this keep it from starting? Where to get a replacement...or how to jury rig around it...?

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All my problems were tied to an old remote starter that stb. I yanked it out and she fired right up! 3 weeks of messing around with starter, contacts, switches and the like....and it was the remote start.

Why install this in a manual? Really. Must have been done years ago.

At least it wasn't something expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts