Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bad Black 96
96 Toyota Corolla
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a few days ago, my check engine light went on, and the next day my car wouldn't start. I can't take it to get its code read since it won't run, but I ordered a mediocre reader that's on its way. Since my car won't start, will I still be able to retrieve the code? Anyways I went outside today and cleaned off my battery terminals and checked all the wires, everything's clean and tight. I tried to start it, and I can hear the belts turning fine, it doesn't sound weak, so I don't think it's the alternator. Also, all the lights in the dash and the headlights,wipers, radio, etc. turn on, so I'm pretty sure I've ruled out the alternator and the battery. I'm thinking it's the starter...does anyone else have any suggestions? Do you think it could be the distributor and are there any tests I can do to help me rule anything else out? Thanks in advance guys.

Oh yeah...what's the diff between a 1.0KW starter and the 1.4KW starter (besides the obvious .4KW)..? Could I use either one...I have a 96 1.6L....

·
Bad Black 96
96 Toyota Corolla
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how would you think its the starter if the engine is cranking?
I might have it mixed up...I'm not sure. I apologize but my other car is a 76 Chevy and there's a big difference between the belt turning, and the engine cranking. When I turn the key in my corolla, I can just hear the belt turning, no motor. It's like the engine isn't even trying to start. If the belts turning the battery and alternator wouldn't be bad right?

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
When the starter ceases to function you will just get a click and the car won't turn over. And usually after a few times of turning the key it will eventually start. It also won't throw a code.

You probably have a bad alternator or dead battery or both now. The car can definitely have power and turn over with a dying battery or bad alternator.

Reactions: badcompany87

·
Bad Black 96
96 Toyota Corolla
132 Posts
When the starter ceases to function you will just get a click and the car won't turn over. And usually after a few times of turning the key it will eventually start. It also won't throw a code.

You probably have a bad alternator or dead battery or both now. The car can definitely have power and turn over with a dying battery or bad alternator.
Thanks man, when I get off of work I'm gonna go home and throw in another battery, hopefully it works. I'll keep you updated.

I heard that a dieing battery wouldnt kick on the check engine light, is that true? Would a bad alternator trigger a CEL? Thanks for your help man.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
I've rarely had reliable OBD readings on any cars. I know you have OBDII but I don't trust it either. A dying batt or bad alt usually triggers the Battery light and doesn't throw a CEL, but the reliability of these things is crap as far as I'm concerned. Still, your starting issue could definitely be caused by one of many ignition and fuel system components and sensors. If your stereo works and you can use your brights then you likely have something else going on...

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
I might have it mixed up...I'm not sure. I apologize but my other car is a 76 Chevy and there's a big difference between the belt turning, and the engine cranking. When I turn the key in my corolla, I can just hear the belt turning, no motor. It's like the engine isn't even trying to start. If the belts turning the battery and alternator wouldn't be bad right?
I could understand a bit if this post came from a foreign country but I have NO IDEA what its about. Belts are silent and dont make any noise.

Or is California now a foreign country? :)

-SP

·
Bad Black 96
96 Toyota Corolla
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could understand a bit if this post came from a foreign country but I have NO IDEA what its about. Belts are silent and dont make any noise.

Or is California now a foreign country? :)

-SP
This is when the car will crank, but wont start...

This is when the belts turning, but no crank...

The second link has high volume, I had headphones on and almost went deaf, so turn your volume low if it's high.

I hope this cleared up any confusion as to what I was trying to get across.

By no means is California foreign, we're just more bad-ass :D.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
That is not a belt turning. If a car doesn't crank, belts don't turn.

That sound is a possibility of many things, including the radiator fan or A/C fan if he had it on.

·
Bad Black 96
96 Toyota Corolla
132 Posts
pop off the distributor cap and check if the rotor is spinning when the engine is cranked. if its not, then odds are the timing belt broke and the code was something for ignition system.
Thanks man I'm going to try this.

That is not a belt turning. If a car doesn't crank, belts don't turn.

That sound is a possibility of many things, including the radiator fan or A/C fan if he had it on.
When I go to start my car it sounds identical to the third video, and the belts turn...man what the f*%^ is wrong with my car!...*sigh...I just got off of work so I'm going to see if anythings different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I go to start my car it sounds identical to the third video, and the belts turn...man what the f*%^ is wrong with my car!...*sigh...I just got off of work so I'm going to see if anythings different.
My battery leads are dodgey and gave me similar issues even when cleaned. Maybe it's to do with them, you could try putting tinfoil between where they connect; i aint had problems with it since putting some in.

·
Bad Black 96
96 Toyota Corolla
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you everyone...

Alright nation...

I came home from work and went out to my car, and it started right up, no hesitation, the check engine light didn't even come on. So I let it warm up, about five minutes while I turned on every possible electronic component that I can, everything works. I turn it off, then I turn the key to turn it back on and silence! I didn't hear anything, completely different then my other attempts. So I disconnect the battery, move the intake and find every damn ground that I can, they all look clean and well insulated, but I clean all the surfaces and re-insulate the tips with electrical tape, earlier in the day I had also cleaned the crap out of my battery terminals. I reconnect everything and go to start it and nothing again. I decide to give the gas two pumps and it starts...I turn it off, wait 5 minutes and turn it on again but this time I didn't have to pump the gas. I turn it off, wait 5 minutes, and I go to turn it back on but it wont start. I pump the gas twice again and it starts. I take it around the corner and gas it, everything seems normal, and it idles fine. I heard that sometimes a bad fuel pump can cause a car to cut-off at low speeds. So I slow down and creep up to a stop sign at 5mph, everything seems normal. I gas it down a straight away, everything seems fine, then I take another corner at about 15 mph, still fine. I get home and turn it on and off a bunch of times and it starts whenever I give the gas two pumps. So I did some research on fuel pumps, I don't think there's any break in the hoses, I think the units just going bad. So I plan on replacing it...if that doesn't fix it...you'll be hearing from me. Thanks again from everyone that contributed, even the sarcastic replies ;).

·
Registered
168 Posts
For some reason my computer won't play the third video. The first video is a snapped timing belt for sure. The second video is a fuel/spark issue because the cylinders are trying to fire but the issue won't give the motor enough spark or fuel.

If your starter is toast, then it will just make a clicking noise but the motor will not turn over. Or nothing will happen at all, and the starter usually will not throw a CEL.

One thing you can do and I may have missed it since I didn't read all the posts, is remove the battery and take it to a local autozone to get it tested. A weak battery will sometimes, not give the starter enough volts/amps to start.

So look over your general tune up components. Check the spark plugs, check the spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. If those look fine, check your fuel filter. If those things check out fine, then you need to look at the other potential culprits such as the ignitor. Which I believe on the 1.6 is bolted on the driver side strut tower. Then if that is fine, check your crank position sensor. That is on the lower area of the motor, on the upper left hand side of the crank pulley if you are facing it, and it is held in by one 10mm bolt.

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
Still a confusing post but I'll try.... I'm guessing that in ALL instances the engine cranks, but in some the engine wont START.

For ignition failures it seems that the distributors are the culprit.

BUT from your stories it could be a flakey ignition switch. I havent heard of any reports of these going bad on Toyota, but its common on other brands.

Go over all your electrical connections under the hood and pop them apart and reconnect them. Sometimes they arent plugged in all the way and sometimes one pin might get enough corrosion to stop electrical flow.

Badass??? In the land of fruits and nuts? Sounds like a contradiction to me! :)

-SP

·
Bad Black 96
96 Toyota Corolla
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still a confusing post but I'll try.... I'm guessing that in ALL instances the engine cranks, but in some the engine wont START.

For ignition failures it seems that the distributors are the culprit.

BUT from your stories it could be a flakey ignition switch. I havent heard of any reports of these going bad on Toyota, but its common on other brands.

Go over all your electrical connections under the hood and pop them apart and reconnect them. Sometimes they arent plugged in all the way and sometimes one pin might get enough corrosion to stop electrical flow.

Badass??? In the land of fruits and nuts? Sounds like a contradiction to me! :)

-SP
Lady Fruits and DEEZ nutz!!! Haha!!! Hey agricultures only part of it...you've heard "California Girls" and "California Love"...they didn't write those songs about our almond orchards. Hollywood Baby...and as cheesy as Fast and the Furious was...it was in LA baby!...but thanks for all your advice man, I'm definitely gonna try your suggestions, thanks :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts