Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 Camry I just got about a month ago. I havent been driving it because I had to change the water pump and timing belt(Holy freaking cow that sucked!) Anyway I am experiancing a bad tire rub when I hit bumps go around corners etc. Its on the passenger side. I pushed the car up and down and the struts seem to be ok. The tires on it are 205/60/15's. Are these too big? what was the original size that came with the car? The wheels look stock. What else could it be? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks! Roy

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I believe the stock tire size for the 15's of that year are the 195-60-15, check your sticker on your drivers door.

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
yup ^

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That doesnt sound like the problem than, thats not that much bigger. So any ideas why the car is rubbing so bad? Strut? spring? This is my first Toy so I am not sure.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
i have a 88 camry and i'm sure we use the same wheels. it's suppose to be 185-70-r14. it could be your struts that went bad too. i recently replaced all my struts and my stock fronts didn't go back up by themself when i took them off the car. so they're pretty shot.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Check tire rub on strut:
You need to jack the car up, and spin the wheel. If the wheel doesn't move smoothly, then you have a rub. You can also try to touch the strut with your finger and or visually inspect for rub between the tire and the strut.

Check tire rub on fender:
Look at your tire and see if it has scratch marks on the sidewall. Put your hand between the fender and the tire and see if it has enough space for up / down movement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
scrub on 15's...holy goodnight.

sorry i got nothing :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bottom of the fender on the back of it looks as though it has been hit by the tire. I think some one ran over a curb or something. The bottom of the skirt under the bumper cover is bent up and the sway bar bracket on that side was bent and hanging, I dont see any other obvious damage but I was wondering if something could be bent? So whats the verdict on the tires? I've got one vote for 15's and one for 14's.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Well if it shows this much damage just by basic inspection you should take it to a shop to have it checked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts