Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, glad to be here. My first Toyota and I'm expecting it to stick around a while so here we go.
Got an 02 used and in really good shape but it had that clicking sound when going over uneven territory or bumps that told me the ball joints could stand replacing.
This is the American made model and I went to Oriellys and got the proper ball joints. Looked exactly like the old ones.
Got them put on a few hours ago and somehow the toe is wildly out and I mean out, not toed in. As in the tires look like they are holding arms out wanting to give me a big hug.
The car had no issues with alignment at all before the new ball joints. I called a guy at Oriellys who is a Toyota expert and cannot figure out why this happened. He checked the vin and found out it is US built, checked the parts I bought and they are for US builds.
I thought at first I pulled the axles out when I was pulling the knuckles out of the way to get the old ones off and new ones on but I figure I would be loosing fluid if I somehow yanked them out of the transaxle.
I didn't mess with the tie rods at all. All I did was replace the ball joints. It's too dark to take a picture to show how far out the toe is.
The old ball joints weren't really that bad. I figured I'd be able to pull on the shaft and feel movement but there isn't any.
Thankfully tomorrow is Sunday and I have time to get back out and try and figure this out but I'd like some ideas from you all before I do that. I have to solve this tomorrow so I can drive to work on Monday.
Thanks in advance to anyone who has any ideas.

·
7,363 Posts
Ball joint is wheel center lined. It CAN NOT influence toe. Trying to picture how this could have happened.... axle is in the wheel center, so no there either. Toe is literally tie rod ends only relevant. Camber is struts or control arms.
Something happened to your tie rod and rod ends on that side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking the same thing about the axle and ball joint. I couldn't see how they would effect toe. If anything replacing them would have effected the camber.
I didn't touch the tie rods when I did this. I starting to suspect I'm an idiot actually. I have to pound the front wheels off as they fit so snug. I'm wondering now if they aren't seated all the way in but that doesn't make a lot of sense either. The lug nuts are snug. You would figure the wheels would snug back in as they were tightened and be on properly after the lugs are tightened all the way.
Looking at it fresh tomorrow should help but it's so damn cold out there.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I'm wondering before I go back out and screw with this. Yes the axle and balljoints are on the centerline but if the ball joints weren't exactly like the old ones and in my memory now they weren't because the shaft did not come up as high as the old ones through the knuckle, the camber would be way off and with that spread out on the bottom plane of the tires wouldn't that in turn also cause the toe to bleed out because of the distance in the centerline increasing but the steering line staying the same length???
Any opinions on that before I finish my coffee and go out there?

·
TWO-VEE-ZED
98 Corolla Conquest
57 Posts
Either the ball joints are the incorrect ones, or you may have unwittingly bent the tie rods during the removal stage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts