Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

First post, so sorry if i'm doing anything wrong here...

Just wondering if anyone is able to help shed some light on this issue im having with my 2005 hilux 3.0d4d

About a week ago i left my lights on all day while at work which obviously flattened my battery. After jump starting and leaving on a charger for the day the battery was not holding a charge (or so i thought) so as the battery was probably a few years old anyway i figured id probably cooked it and needed to replace it.

Now with the new battery fitted the battery light has just come on on the dash and i didn't have enough juice to restart the car. I tested the alternator when i fitted the new battery which was putting out a reading of 12-13v then dropping to 1-2 for a second then back to 12-13 and so on.

Basically im not sure whats wrong and why this may have happened just from running the battery flat...?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Update
Have just done another test on the alternator and its giving me a reading of a constant 11.5v which is low for an alternator right..?
is it common for it to wreck your alternator just by running the battery flat..? seems unusual to me.

·
Toyota Collector
11,821 Posts
Most auto parts stores will test the alternator for free, charging voltage should be ~14 volts. 11.5 volts means the alternator is doing little to nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, have just fitted a new alternator and it would seem that all is back how it should be.
Just cant believe this is all a consequence of me flattening my battery. That said i am pretty sure the alternator was likely on its way out any way and the extra load of a fully dead battery sent it to its grave.
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts