Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma TC LB
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't drive the truck much in the winter, about every week and a half. After about a week of sitting, the battery is dead. This happened again last night for about the sixth time, which was the last straw.

Took it in to the dealer, and just got a call back. Everything is normal, nothing unusual drawing on the battery, and the parasitic draw JBL amp TSB does not apply.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
ask them if their trucks that sit on the lot do that? that isnt' normal.... Gees! They should have then replaced the battery.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
This might be a stupid question...but... did the dealer check your alternator?
Did they check all electrical connections/brushes ? Are they clean & tight?

After it was dead the first time (so to speak) - what did you do? Did you hook it up to a battery charger? Did you take it for a good drive to allow the alternator to charge the battery enough?

How old is the battery?

Do you have trouble starting the truck?

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma TC LB
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ask them if their trucks that sit on the lot do that? that isnt' normal.... Gees! They should have then replaced the battery.
They don't say that it is normal, just that there is nothing unusual drawing on the battery. Maybe this is a good excuse to get an Optima.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My battery went kaput after a couple of years. I bought a new battery and the trucks starts up easily after a month of sitting

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma TC LB
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This might be a stupid question...but... did the dealer check your alternator?
Did they check all electrical connections/brushes ? Are they clean & tight?

After it was dead the first time (so to speak) - what did you do? Did you hook it up to a battery charger? Did you take it for a good drive to allow the alternator to charge the battery enough?

How old is the battery?

Do you have trouble starting the truck?
Checking the Alternator - They didn't specify, but ScanGuage shows around 14v running, I think it is recharging OK.
I'll clean the battery connections, that is always a trouble spot.
I always put the charger on overnight when this happens. It seems to be fully charging the battery.

The battery is about three years old, the truck has about 10K miles.
There is no trouble starting the truck, so long as the battery has some voltage.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The battery is about three years old, the truck has about 10K miles.
There is no trouble starting the truck, so long as the battery has some voltage.
There is a reason that batteries have warranties specified in months, not miles. If it is the original battery it is probably just at the end of its life. Toyota does not put any extra money into the original batteries.

Have you had the battery 'load' tested? I would almost bet it will not pass that type of test and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma TC LB
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a reason that batteries have warranties specified in months, not miles. If it is the original battery it is probably just at the end of its life. Toyota does not put any extra money into the original batteries.

Have you had the battery 'load' tested? I would almost bet it will not pass that type of test and needs to be replaced.
I'll just stop at Les Schwab this weekend and have them drop in an Optima. (if the wife approves). Consensus here is that will address the problem.

·
Registered
'07 Access Cab
68 Posts
If the 2005's have the same feature as my 2007 and you are leaving the headlight switch in the parking or ON position this may be enough to drain a battery near the end of it's life. The owner's manual states that leaving the truck parked for long periods with the headlight switch on can cause the battery to go dead.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma TC LB
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the 2005's have the same feature as my 2007 and you are leaving the headlight switch in the parking or ON position this may be enough to drain a battery near the end of it's life. The owner's manual states that leaving the truck parked for long periods with the headlight switch on can cause the battery to go dead.
I leave the switch off when the engine is switched off. But good to know, thanks!

·
lovin my TACO
'06 Tacoma 4x4
61 Posts
i had the same problem but my truck was sitting for more than a week. the battery didn't hold a charge even after driving for 10 miles or so. my friend took my truck to work on it since i'm overseas and he just took it to the dealer and they replaced it for free.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,129 Posts
I had to swap my battery at 3 years. End of useful life. Surprised the dealership didn't load test the battery. That's the first step in a case like this.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
It's probably just a bad battery.

Do you have an aftermarket security system or remote starter?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I agree with everyone else about getting a new battery. In my experience (and advice from a mechanic) once the battery drops low enough to not start 3 times it's crap. After the 3rd time it won't hold a charge and you need to replace it.

Not sure if that's true or not, but I had a battery in my tercel that wouldn't run my headlights without dimming at idle after dieing 3 times. Also, my father in law always had problems starting his truck after leaving the plow controls on 3 times.

·
Hi-Miler
07 siver 4x2 Taco lo
308 Posts
my last toyota battery lasted 7 years

no problems

not driving your truck much
then when driving very little

STRESSES a battery
you very well may need a new one....

no doubt same circumstances .....SAME Results !!!!

just because a gauge shows adequate voltage
TIME is afactor to RENEW the RESERVE on the battery

if you dont drive it long enuf

you simply dont Renew the Reserve

good luck

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma TC LB
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my last toyota battery lasted 7 years

if you dont drive it long enuf

you simply dont Renew the Reserve

good luck
When I do drive it, I make a long trip. About 45' to work, and 60' back from work. About 70 miles round trip.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts