Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that I can use either the True-2 27F with 625 CCA or TrueStart 27F with 710 CCA for this truck. Anyone have experience with this matter, please let me know.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I was told that I can use either the True-2 27F with 625 CCA or TrueStart 27F with 710 CCA for this truck. Anyone have experience with this matter, please let me know.

Thanks,
What state do you live in (some batteries are better in the south, and others in the north). You can usually do a lot better in terms of price vs quality with something other than a Toyota battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I have already been to the a Georgia dealer and they sold me the True-2 27F with 625 CCA instead of the recommended Truestart 27F with 710 CCA. The parts rep insisted this battery works for my truck but now I am concern other than the difference with the CCA anything else could cause problems on other engine components over time. I am not a mechanic and would like to see if I can get a confirmation to what the rep told me. I got different answers from different dealers.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Thanks, I have already been to the a Georgia dealer and they sold me the True-2 27F with 625 CCA instead of the recommended Truestart 27F with 710 CCA. The parts rep insisted this battery works for my truck but now I am concern other than the difference with the CCA anything else could cause problems on other engine components over time. I am not a mechanic and would like to see if I can get a confirmation to what the rep told me. I got different answers from different dealers.
All 12V Batteries all have the same minimum voltage while they are working properly, so technically any 27F will work. Vehicles with a lot of electronic equipment "may" need a battery with more reserve capacity, but the main difference is that ones with more CCA, reserve capacity, etc will last longer, or allow you to listen to your car radio with the engine turned off for a longer period of time.

If you are towing and have electronics (such as lights) on the trailer connected to your electrical system, this also requires a higher rated or bigger battery, but I think that is why the 27F is specified over the 24F on the Tacoma.

So a lower quality battery will not cause engine component problems over time, but the battery itself may fail sooner, often at an inopportune time. Buying a battery from a dealer is usually not a good idea from cost/quality perspective. The battery I mentioned above will likely last a lot longer than the one you purchased, and it probably costs less money.

The Diehard "South" battery I mentioned above is specifically designed to be more robust physically in hot weather, because the plastic cell dividers are thicker and stronger, and more resistant to sudden structural failure that affects a lot of batteries in the south when the battery is subjected to road shock and vibration over time.

In general, buying a cheap battery (even if you paid a lot for it at a dealer) is not a good investment. Same applies to a smoke detector battery, etc in your home.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Yeah, if not towing, the Tacoma comes with the 24F. Towing package gets the 27F.
But since the battery tray will fit a larger 27F regardless of whether the vehicle comes with a towing package (to the best of my understanding), I would definitely go with a 27F.

But a Gold 24F is better than a Silver 27F (Gold and Silver being the designation of the battery quality at stores like Autozone and Advance Auto Parts).

The other thing that has been discussed many times, but not in this thread, is that Toyota does not make batteries, and there are only about 3 companies in North America that manufacture them, and Toyota USA gets them from the same place as other vendors and puts a big markup on them (along with their Toyota label stuck on). Just looking at the Toyota USA battery specs above, it doesn't look like they are selling batteries with a particularly high level of quality (in terms of endurance), and I suspect they charge a bundle for them.

For vehicles made in Japan, Toyota gets batteries from Asian suppliers. The old Panasonic batteries on vehicles assembled in Japan were great, but in order to improve MPG, automakers need to decrease vehicle weight, which means less lead in the OEM batteries, and therefor OEM batteries no longer last as long as they used to.

I am all for OEM parts in most cases, but when it comes to tires, batteries, and motor oil, I don't like going anywhere near a dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know better until now and I always have the perception that OE would be better and since the price is compatible to other automotive and battery stores. In addition, if I had known that the dealer person was selling me the True-2 27F with 625 CCA instead of the recommended Truestart 27F with 710 CCA, I would not have accepted it. I give him all my truck data, engine size and paid it, then I learned that the battery it has the lower CCA. He insisted that works for my truck. I thought he would know better since he represents Toyota in a Toyota dealer. It is the after thought that got me concern and wanted someone knowledgeable to give me advise. If you have anymore update on this matter, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I thought he would know better since he represents Toyota in a Toyota dealer.
The dealer and their employees represent themselves, and they are trying to put as much food on the table as possible to feed their families. Dealerships are not allowed to be owned by auto manufacturers (by law in almost all states), and are independent businesses.

There is nothing wrong with the battery you purchased. It just may not last as long as a higher quality battery, and may have been more expensive than the equivalent battery you could have purchased elsewhere. I wouldn't worry about it, until the time comes to purchase your next battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts