Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, hope all is well...

I'm in the market for a "new car" and was thinking of a hybrid. I'm getting mixed feedback when I ask about them. Can anyone out there give me some info regarding the batteries? Is it true that they need to be replaced every 5 years and they cost $8k to replace? I've asked two people who own a prius and they are over 200k miles and no issues, however both owners say they commute 70 miles way to work. i'm no where near those miles. i'm sooooo much closer, would it be an issue with the charging of the batteries? Sorry for all the questions..... Between the Toyotas and the Lexus CT200H is where I'm looking btw... I test drove the Prius C and it was nice but very plain.....

Thank you for your time...

JP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Definitely not true for the most part. From my limited knowledge, I’ve owned 3 Toyota hybrids so far, first Prius I bought With 182k miles and sold it a year later with 242k. No issues. Then I bought One with 245 on it and only drove it to 260 or so before selling it no issues. My latest is a Camry with 179k and it’s got a battery issue. So I’ve been doing a lot of research on the problem and there are several solutions far cheaper than going to Toyota and having them sell you a new pack. I think For my car they are $4800 new. There are tons of companies out there offering refurbished batteries for anywhere from $1100-2000. If you’re a DIY kinda guy like me, you can actually disassemble the battery, and replace only the cells or modules that are weak which puts a bandaid on it for anywhere from a few thousand to 20k miles from what I’ve read. There are some shops that will do this sort of repair for you as well. A good hybrid repair shop will also be able to discharge / recharge all your modules and balance the pack, essentially revitalizing the pack for longevity. This can also be done by yourself but will take time and patience and research.
Start by searching your area for hybrid repair guys or shops. Make sure they’re readily available in your area. I initially found a car dealer, who sold a lot of hybrid cars and had a mechanic on staff that worked on them. I bought My first Prius from them and it was trouble free. I later Found a Prius that was dead in a guys driveway for $300. I took it to that dealer, he hooked up a scan tool and in minutes told me I’d need 2 new battery cells, and an abs pump and it would cost me $900 to fix. So I had $1100 in the car and sold it for $3500 :)

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Changing out or maintenance on a hybrid or EV battery or electrical system is dangerous, as there are very high voltages involved. I would not consider it to be a DIY repair.

Most hybrid batteries last 10 years or more, but are expensive for an OEM replacement. With a hybrid, when the battery starts to go, the car still works, but the gas mileage stinks. Like any battery, the life depends a lot on how many times the battery is drained and recharged, rather than the number of miles driven.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts