Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had a week of cold weather in the Yukon Territory with an average of -35C overnight. The car sits on the driveway. I have the
2015 Corolla LE Eco - Tech Package
plugged in but all I have is the block heater - no battery blanket. The car is deader than a doornail - no response whatsoever to the push button start. So I have placed in on a trickle charger for the past 3 days. In mild weather this would be enough time to recharge the battery but the trickle charger still shows a yellow LED. It would turn green if the battery were charged. So what is going on here? Will the battery simply not take a charge in cold weather (it is -30C as I write this)? Or is it just a matter of time - that it wont fully charge in 3 days but perhaps in 5 it will? And if it wont charge under any circumstances with the trickle charger, will it even start when the tow truck guy comes out to give me a boost?

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
12,077 Posts
Might try to bring the battery indoors to warm it up and throw a battery charger. Then measure the voltage to see if it takes a charge. Otherwise, your battery is dead. It is after all, a few years now. Might need a new battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am definitely not messing around with removing the battery and bringing it indoors. I haven't got anything to measure the voltage with anyway. Yes, the battery is still the one that came with the car so it's 6 years old now. I have no idea - is that the average life span of a battery? I had no problems at all when the weather was more reasonable - meaning -20C or warmer. So the question is - could the cold spell (it hit -42C one night) kill the battery once and for all so that it can't be recharged?

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
8,169 Posts
Time for a inexpensive multi-meter and a new battery.
At those temps your trying to push electrons thru molasses and the battery won't charge.
If you decide to get the battery in a warm environment it may still take a charge but how long it lasts in those temps afterwards is questionable. I don't like being stranded waiting for a tow truck in any weather let alone what your describing. Been there, done that. :(
IMHO, the fact you got 6 years out of it is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
2016 Avalon XLE Premium
12 Posts
I remember waaaayyyyy back when in the nineteen ought 80's and I was a poor college student, my old Plymouth Champ wouldn't start one particularly cold morning. I pulled the battery, brought it inside and put it in a pan of warm water. I didn't fully submerge it obviously but just enough to warm it up quickly.

After an hour or so, I re-installed it and the little Champ started and I was on my way.

But yes, 6 years is really all you can ask of a battery.

·
イリジウム
13,344 Posts
Cold weather saps battery power, and if the battery wasn't fully charged to begin with, it can freeze.

NEVER attempt to charge a frozen battery, it could explode. As others said, try slowly and safely raising its temp first. Or consider a new battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<< never attempt to charge a frozen battery - it could explode >>
Whew! Even with a trickle charger which was the way I tried to recharge? I guess I was lucky because I had the charger hooked up for 3 days and nothing happened. In the end, the crew from Toyota came out with this charger that looked like a small suitcase. The guy said that it could start a Kenworth truck and sure enough - without any hesitation - the Corolla, which had been dead for 4 days, started instantly in -30C. So they took it back to the shop and I think in all likelyhood I am going to get a new battery. Question - if we happen to have another -42C overnight low again, will the new battery suffer any permanent damage or will it start just fine when the temp rises to -20C (at this temperature, historically, I have never had any issues with the car starting)?

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
8,169 Posts
I think you'll be alright since your last battery was old and had some trying times. A charged battery won't freeze until it'sabout -76F but a "dead battery" will freeze at temps around -32F.
You might consider getting a battery blanket unless your moving to a warmer climate. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes - I already have a block heater but obviously that does nothing for the battery so I was informed by the Toyota crew that I should get a battery blanket - which I will - along with the new battery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Battery blankets have helped my past Toyota's however in a non Toyota I did have an issue where the battery actually got to hot and ruined that as well. Juts be careful with that.

Also with COVID I always start mine daily even through I am not going anywhere.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am definitely not messing around with removing the battery and bringing it indoors. I haven't got anything to measure the voltage with anyway. Yes, the battery is still the one that came with the car so it's 6 years old now. I have no idea - is that the average life span of a battery? I had no problems at all when the weather was more reasonable - meaning -20C or warmer. So the question is - could the cold spell (it hit -42C one night) kill the battery once and for all so that it can't be recharged?
6 years is pretty good for a toyota battery. i've seen them last up to 7 years and sometimes longer if taken care of and in mild climates.. typical led acid battery you get up to 5 years.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Yes, the battery is still the one that came with the car so it's 6 years old now. I have no idea - is that the average life span of a battery?
6 years is actually quite good. Longevity vary depending on many conditions : extreme hot or cold temperature, number of short vs long trips, short or long time between trips etc. all affect how it recharge fully or not overtime. The trick is a battery won't necessarily throw warning signs (unless duly tested) then one morning it can't do its job because the car is too hard to start for it (like in extreme cold). At 6 years old, mine went fine trough last winter but I took no chance and replace it before this winter (after 7 years). I'll never know if it would have make it but I have peace of mind !

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,544 Posts
We have had a week of cold weather in the Yukon Territory with an average of -35C overnight. The car sits on the driveway. I have the
2015 Corolla LE Eco - Tech Package
plugged in but all I have is the block heater - no battery blanket. The car is deader than a doornail - no response whatsoever to the push button start. So I have placed in on a trickle charger for the past 3 days. In mild weather this would be enough time to recharge the battery but the trickle charger still shows a yellow LED. It would turn green if the battery were charged. So what is going on here? Will the battery simply not take a charge in cold weather (it is -30C as I write this)? Or is it just a matter of time - that it wont fully charge in 3 days but perhaps in 5 it will? And if it wont charge under any circumstances with the trickle charger, will it even start when the tow truck guy comes out to give me a boost?
It sounds like you need a new battery. I need to replace mine on my 2017 Corolla iM 6MT too. I noticed a dead battery or a very weak start several times so I've been using my trickle charger on it too. My car is in a garage at about 45F but it wouldn't charge. I noticed today it did start the car and I drove it down to fill it up. I have a voyage gauge on a USB port that I installed last year and it showed only 11.9V when not running but was fine at 14.1V when running. This tells me that the alternator is fine but the battery is bad. The OEM battery on my wife's 2010 Prius was 9 years old when I changed it last year and it was still working just fine. I didn't want to take a chance of it dying so I replaced it anyway. My OEM battery on my iM didn't even last 4 years. That's the thing, you never know when it comes to batteries. I need a new one for my 2006 xB too so I'll swing by Costco and get 2 new ones.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It sounds like you need a new battery. I need to replace mine on my 2017 Corolla iM 6MT too. I noticed a dead battery or a very weak start several times so I've been using my trickle charger on it too. My car is in a garage at about 45F but it wouldn't charge. I noticed today it did start the car and I drove it down to fill it up. I have a voyage gauge on a USB port that I installed last year and it showed only 11.9V when not running but was fine at 14.1V when running. This tells me that the alternator is fine but the battery is bad. The OEM battery on my wife's 2010 Prius was 9 years old when I changed it last year and it was still working just fine. I didn't want to take a chance of it dying so I replaced it anyway. My OEM battery on my iM didn't even last 4 years. That's the thing, you never know when it comes to batteries. I need a new one for my 2006 xB too so I'll swing by Costco and get 2 new ones.
the prius 12v batteries are glass pack ones and we just replaced a friend's one in his prius 11 yrs old.. i was shocked how long it lasted. our iMs only have lead acid ones but i have seen them last up to 7 years if taken care of, by opening the top and topping off with distilled water or battery acid when it gets low.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,544 Posts
the prius 12v batteries are glass pack ones and we just replaced a friend's one in his prius 11 yrs old.. i was shocked how long it lasted. our iMs only have lead acid ones but i have seen them last up to 7 years if taken care of, by opening the top and topping off with distilled water or battery acid when it gets low.
I replaced the one I my wife's Prius because I didn't want her to be stranded as winter set in. I still have the old one on a trickle charger though since it still seemed okay. You never know when you need an extra battery.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I replaced the one I my wife's Prius because I didn't want her to be stranded as winter set in. I still have the old one on a trickle charger though since it still seemed okay. You never know when you need an extra battery.
i totally agree with you. being stranded somewhere always happens at the most inconvenient time or place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts