Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Highlander XLE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife went to start the vehicle (2015 XLE) this morning and zip. I tried and no lights, no dash, no nothing. Opened the hood and saw a lot of corrision on the battery terminals, especially the + side. With the exception of the vehicle being in south Texas for 2 months, it's always garaged when not in use. It started and ran fine on Monday. It's not unusual for the vehicle to sit for 5 or 6 days without being driven,
This is the original battery and the build date is April 2015.
Is 4 years an average time for a Highlander battery?

TIA!

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,847 Posts
Wife went to start the vehicle (2015 XLE) this morning and zip. I tried and no lights, no dash, no nothing. Opened the hood and saw a lot of corrision on the battery terminals, especially the + side. With the exception of the vehicle being in south Texas for 2 months, it's always garaged when not in use. It started and ran fine on Monday. It's not unusual for the vehicle to sit for 5 or 6 days without being driven,

TIA!
Does it claim to be a 60 or72 month battery on it somewhere.

I'd be Happy to get 4 years on a battery. For grins you might want to check the voltage on it prior to possibly replacing it. Have a 93' Mr2 that eats batteries regardless of brand. Took me ten years to finally accept it and put a new one in it at the 2 year mark as normal preventive maint. Don't want my better half stuck somewhere. Even the minimal # of triple digit heat waves we get it beats the tar out of batteries.

·
Registered
2016 Highlander XLE
52 Posts

TIA!
I've always found my batteries last 4-6 years. So for that reason I swap in a new one at year 5 even if I haven't had a prob. Did you check for corrosion, etc?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,390 Posts
I don't check often but when I do "annual cleaning" I will usually spray electrical corrosion cleaner on the terminals and then protector to make sure nothing happens. I'm only on my second battery in my 2008 Camry but I have never had much or any corrosion on the battery terminals. When my battery finally started dying, it never "died". It was just very slow... and very long... for the engine to start.

Normal Startup
Spin, spin, spin , ON
Dying Startup
Spin..............., Spin..............., Spin..............., ON

·
Registered
536 Posts
Id say yr done with that battery. 3 years in a warm climate is about it on a new car battery..I replace mine before it starts giving me problems

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,171 Posts

My oem batt replaced under warr. after 30 months use. Also if u wanna know more, search old threads on batt failures. Mine didn't last 4 yrs. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Sounds like the battery suffered some kind of physical failure and started leaking. In addition to the external leak, it is likely that one of the cell walls has leaked into another cell, neutralizing the chemical reaction necessary for the battery to hold a charge. This is not unusual in hot climates, especially if the vehicle has been subjected to some kind sudden shock or vibration when it is hot. This is because a battery is made from plastic, which gets weaker in the heat from the engine and climate.

I would recommend a Gold battery from Advanced Auto Parts or AutoZone, or an Everstart MAXX from Walmart.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Battery life is very much dependent on where you live. The hotter the climate, the shorter the battery life.

In the South - 4 years is pretty good for a battery.

Here in the North East - Our batteries last 7-10 years. I've even owned a battery that was 12+ years old.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Battery life is very much dependent on where you live. The hotter the climate, the shorter the battery life.

In the South - 4 years is pretty good for a battery.

Here in the North East - Our batteries last 7-10 years. I've even owned a battery that was 12+ years old.
At one time it was common for brands to have a "North" and "South" version of the same size battery.

The South battery had thicker plastic walls on the outside and between the chambers inside. But since the outside dimensions have to be the same for a given size (such as 24F), the that leaves less room for lead and acid on the inside, and the cold cranking power might be a little less than the same size North battery. But cold cranking power is not that important in warm climates, so it usually works out OK.

I am not sure about this, but I think some retailers just ship their North batteries to northern retail locations, and South batteries to their south retail locations, so at any one retail location you can only get the one they sell. I have seen one store that does this (for some batteries), but not sure about all of them.

The other option for really hot climates is to go to an AGM (absorbed glass matt) battery that is designed to be more durable and more resistant to physical damage. There are "some" questions about whether these batteries require (or do better with) special AGM charging electronics in the car, but in most cases they work fine. I would ask a battery retailer about compatibility.

·
2012 Camry SE I4
2015 HL Limited & 20
51 Posts
FYI, my 2015 HL Limited factory battery lasted about 3.5 years. Very disappointing! My other car was going on 7.5 years with no problem.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
FYI, my 2015 HL Limited factory battery lasted about 3.5 years. Very disappointing! My other car was going on 7.5 years with no problem.
In recent years, the quality or OEM batteries has gone down. This is primarily because of extreme concern about fuel mileage, and the need to reduce vehicle weight as much as possible. Every pound counts. Cheaper batteries have less lead in them, and lead is heavy.

·
2019 Le Plus
110 Posts
I wounder if the reduced battery life is due to the vehicles "smart" alternator not charging the battery to 100% along with the parasitic drain of newer vehicles?

I connect my vehicle to a 1 amp trickle charger to keep the battery fully charged, at first only during the winter months and now year around to possibility help extend the battery life.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I wounder if the reduced battery life is due to the vehicles "smart" alternator not charging the battery to 100% along with the parasitic drain of newer vehicles?
I suspect the "parasitic drain of newer vehicles" could be a problem in some cases, especially for those who store their keyfob too close the vehicle when parked.

I have been looking at house plans for some new housing developments, and the trend is to have a small "key drop" niche or area inside the house, but right next to the door to an attached garage. Very bad idea.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,171 Posts

Going by ole mem. so corrections accepted. IIRC Sometime ago pics I saw showed somekind elect part attached to batt post for "smart alt performance". My batt. doesn't have that part, so assume no smart alt. :dunno: Recall a member here did parasitic test (old threads) I personally think oem batt. is to small due to demands made on it. Hence short lifespan ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts