Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original battery had been cranking a bit more slowly in the 10-30 degree F temps and finally called it quits Thursday morning, just a month shy of 7 years and a tick over 120k miles. That's a good lifespan in my eyes. I'm curious what others here have experienced for original battery life?

·
Registered
Highlander
178 Posts
Still on original after five years nine months and after being drained down to four volts one night. Restored and charged by a BatteryMinder charger/maintainer I've used for several years. Worth its weight in gold to me. Keeps a raft of 6 or 12 volt batteries (gel, flooded, AGM) going and usable.
Will

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
My original battery had been cranking a bit more slowly in the 10-30 degree F temps and finally called it quits Thursday morning, just a month shy of 7 years and a tick over 120k miles. That's a good lifespan in my eyes. I'm curious what others here have experienced for original battery life?
7 years is below average lifespan for a battery. I have a 25 year old battery on one of my cars.

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
671 Posts
IN many cases the OEM on Japanese cars goes a good long time. The 06 I sold last year still had the original. My daughter had an 05 Lexus ES330 she just traded in about a month ago on a 2014 Avalon that still had the OEM but the Avalon with only 65k miles does not.
As for replacement batteries my schedule is typically 3 years. My unknown is Toyota/Lexus branded batteries bought at the dealer. Are they as good as the OEM? My own 11 HL had the oem but prior to my purchase the dealer installed a new Toyota branded one. Also same dealer installed a new one in daughter's "new" Avalon
Life also depends on how well things are maintained, weather and driving conditions and so on

·
Registered
2011HL
1,313 Posts
I changed mine at 5 years whether it need it or not. I did not want to chance a no start condition due to a dead / low battery in the winter. I don't run my tires till the wear bars show either

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,175 Posts
POS OEM Panasonic batteries in both my Highlander and Avalon failed after six months. I normally change mine out at five years regardless, because after that you're on borrowed time. I agree with @Ralph6410

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
IN many cases the OEM on Japanese cars goes a good long time. The 06 I sold last year still had the original. My daughter had an 05 Lexus ES330 she just traded in about a month ago on a 2014 Avalon that still had the OEM but the Avalon with only 65k miles does not.
As for replacement batteries my schedule is typically 3 years. My unknown is Toyota/Lexus branded batteries bought at the dealer. Are they as good as the OEM? My own 11 HL had the oem but prior to my purchase the dealer installed a new Toyota branded one. Also same dealer installed a new one in daughter's "new" Avalon
Life also depends on how well things are maintained, weather and driving conditions and so on
The Toyota TrueStart or True-2 batteries are run-of-the-mill batteries manufactured in North America, similar to other batteries sold in automotive retail stores or Walmart. There are 3 companies that manufacture batteries in the North America: Johnson Controls, Exide, and East Penn.

The OEM batteries on older Toyota's often came from Japan and were excellent quality, and lasted a long time. Part of the reason for that is they had more lead inside the batteries. But now that Toyota is focused on improving fuel economy to meet government regulations coming soon, they are doing everything they can to make vehicles lighter. Lead is very heavy, and a good quality battery can weigh 10 lbs more than cheap one.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Always helps to have a manual transmission, and a light car. My battery in the Mirage is 5.5 years old (7-14 prod date) and I'm looking for a reason to replace it, but I can push start my car myself. Climate and garage kept help.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,412 Posts
Assuming mine was the original battery from the factory, 11/2007 - 05/2015. I suspect jumping two or three vehicles finally made it want to die as it did not want to die but I replaced it because upon cold start the engine spun very very very very very slowly before starting up fully. It didn't click, it wasn't just dead, it was just very very slow to start.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I was lying. Just sick and tired of people committing penalties for "unsportsmanlike conduct -- taunting," bragging about how long their batteries lasted on older Toyotas. Yes, batteries on older Toyotas were a lot better quality than current OEM batteries, but so what?
I have actually heard of a Ford battery lasting 20 years from a source I consider reliable. These days I would not expect any battery to last more than 7, but I have personally seen 17 under ideal conditions, which do not include average temperatures in most of the southern USA. It would probably be in the areas where hybrid batteries last the longest on average.

The slow cranking symptom is your best guide to "when to replace", but an old starter motor can give you the same symptoms when it is close to dying so there are other similar symptoms.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have actually heard of a Ford battery lasting 20 years from a source I consider reliable. These days I would not expect any battery to last more than 7, but I have personally seen 17 under ideal conditions, which do not include average temperatures in most of the southern USA. It would probably be in the areas where hybrid batteries last the longest on average.

The slow cranking symptom is your best guide to "when to replace", but an old starter motor can give you the same symptoms when it is close to dying so there are other similar symptoms.
Actually, my 2009 Hyundai Genesis, which has a very large H8 battery in the trunk, lasted 8 1/2 years and appeared to be in perfect condition when I replaced it just as a precaution. It might have lasted a lot longer. The battery was made in Korea and was sealed (but not an AGM).

I previously owned some Toyotas and and a Honda, all made in Japan, that had batteries that lasted about 7 years before dying.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,175 Posts
What is your secret?
Blind luck.

Now here come the stories how "my battery lasted twenty years...." or "my batter lasted fifteen years until my dog chewed it up...."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts