Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
New older TN User
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what type of battery comes from the factory? 3-year, 4-year, 5-year? I'm thinking of replacing it after its rated life so my wife doesn't get stuck if it dies when I'm at work.

Thanks . .

·
Registered
92 Posts
As you know extreme temps, hot or cold, kills batteries fast. Also its location near heat sources shorten its life. Some heat shielding helps but I have learned the hard way not to gamble and replace them every 2-3 years since its not a major expense and for peace of mind. Or you might consider switching over to a dry cell type which can be more durable.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Batteries generally don't just die although they certainly can. I've had batteries last 2 months and as long as 7 years. You can go ahead and buy a new battery and feel good about it, but it can die even before the original one would have. Check the voltage after it has sat for awhile and then check the voltage as someone cranks the engine. If it is getting below 10 volts when cranked then it might be time to think about it.

·
New older TN User
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
V6 LVR said:
...but I have learned the hard way not to gamble and replace them every 2-3 years since its not a major expense and for peace of mind. Or you might consider switching over to a dry cell type which can be more durable.
I may just do that and replace it after 3 years. Dry cell?

gdanaher said:
Batteries generally don't just die although they certainly can. I've had batteries last 2 months and as long as 7 years. You can go ahead and buy a new battery and feel good about it, but it can die even before the original one would have. Check the voltage after it has sat for awhile and then check the voltage as someone cranks the engine. If it is getting below 10 volts when cranked then it might be time to think about it.
Very true. I had a 3-year battery go for almost 7 years. My wife said the battery in her new '85 Camry only lasted a year. Measuring the cranking voltage sounds like a good idea. I should measure it now while it's new so I have something to compare to . . .

·
Registered
92 Posts
WhiteCrown said:
I may just do that and replace it after 3 years. Dry cell?
The Optima batteries are supposed to be superior re heat, vibration and schock resistant, plus can be mounted numerous ways since it has no acid liquid in the cells. Google the Optima.

Very true. I had a 3-year battery go for almost 7 years. My wife said the battery in her new '85 Camry only lasted a year. Measuring the cranking voltage sounds like a good idea. I should measure it now while it's new so I have something to compare to . . .

·
New older TN User
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
V6 LVR said:
The Optima batteries are supposed to be superior re heat, vibration and shock resistant, plus can be mounted numerous ways since it has no acid liquid in the cells. Google the Optima.
I've seen Optima batteries, I never knew they were considered dry cells. Maybe more like damp cells? :) They cost a lot more, but claim up to twice the life. It may be worth it. Thanks . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts