1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
03 Camry & 06 Sienna
2006 Sienna LE
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my alternator is dead. Read the following thread to see how I got here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291523

So my battery died the other day after 2 days of battery light. I'm sure the alternator did not like having rust-laden water/antifreeze sprayed all over it. The question now is, can the alt be saved? Can I open it up and clean it out with some good elec cleaning spray? Can I just replace the brushes? Has anyone seen this problem before?

Does anyone have a DIY for alt rebuilds? The one on this forum has lost all its pix.

:headbang:

·
03 Camry & 06 Sienna
2006 Sienna LE
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What's cheap?

That was my first thought too. But I'm finding remanufactured alts for >$100 and used ones from junk dealers between $30-$60.

Some of the used ones look pretty scary!

And no, I have not replaced the batt. I put my 15A charger on it and ran it overnight. Indicator showed 100% in the morning, so I think its okay.

G

·
Its more common for the voltage regulator to fail than the brushes or windings. Just go with a rebuilt one. Getting a junkyard alternator may give you the same problem in the near future. If you really want to re-build the one you have, look around in your local yellow pages for a starter/alternator rebuilder. I had my paseo alternator re-built for about the same price as a brand new one ($130) but they replaced everything and even re-painted it.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
"look around in your local yellow pages for a starter/alternator rebuilder"

I have to agree with 96paseo. This was going to be my advice too. I have found that the local electrical rebuild shops do a better job than the mass rebuilders that do the rebuilds for auto parts stores IMHO.

As far as the battery, I wouldn't buy a new one just yet, especially if it is not that old. Try recharging it from an outside source at a slow charge, say 1-2 amps. It may be fine after that.

Mike

·
That guy.
91 240SX
54 Posts
Geez. Go to AutoZone and get a rebuilt one for 100ish bucks. Lifetime warranty and they'll replace it if it dies again... and again... and yet again.

·
03 Camry & 06 Sienna
2006 Sienna LE
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved.

So I went to Checker and bought an Autolight reman for $137 w/ lifetime warranty. All is well and both the tail light indicator and the batt light are out. Any ideas why they would BOTH have been on? As I indicated, no issues with tail lights. Maybe there was a short?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts