Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 2gr V6 67K. Never seen this before and it's not under the common problems.
The battery light on the dash stays on right from key on and never goes out. Battery failed load test and was replaced.
Charging was 13.9V after battery replacement. No loose pulley clutch or any signs of wiring issues. No aftermarket add on's. No noises. All seems normal except the light staying on while running.
Anyone out there had this problem? Internal failure maybe??
Thanks in advance.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Alternator should not be working. Check your voltages again with the engine stopped and then running. If it is running and the alternator is charging, then a diode inside the alternator is the likely culprit. The idea is that when you turn on the key, voltage flows through the light to the S terminal on the alternator. This primes or blesses the alternator in a sense. If it isn't connected the alternator will not work. and if the light isn't grounded to the connetor it isn't going to light either. When the alternator's voltage equals or exceeds that of the battery, the diode prevents reverse flow back through the light and the light goes out. If you are good with a soldering iron and have some experience you can probably fix this for about 50 cents. Otherwise you are going to spend a fortune on a replacement alternator, or you will get to appreciate the idiot light glowing.

Reactions: Tech1984

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alternator should not be working. Check your voltages again with the engine stopped and then running. If it is running and the alternator is charging, then a diode inside the alternator is the likely culprit. The idea is that when you turn on the key, voltage flows through the light to the S terminal on the alternator. This primes or blesses the alternator in a sense. If it isn't connected the alternator will not work. and if the light isn't grounded to the connetor it isn't going to light either. When the alternator's voltage equals or exceeds that of the battery, the diode prevents reverse flow back through the light and the light goes out. If you are good with a soldering iron and have some experience you can probably fix this for about 50 cents. Otherwise you are going to spend a fortune on a replacement alternator, or you will get to appreciate the idiot light glowing.
Forgot to add this. The 7.5 ALT-S, gauge 1, and gauge 2 fuses all checked with a test light.
It was 12.56 not running, 13.9 running tested with my Fluke.
There is extended warranty for this, but want to be sure before biting the bullet. I concur with you.
You give good advice. Thanks sent.

·
Streaker
2013 Sunset Bronze T
1,804 Posts
Any strange smells? Lots of times when an alternator is on its way out you'll smell something for a few days before it burns up.

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
shouldnt the charging voltage be 14.4v not 13.9? i know mine sits at 14.4v when the car is on and i have the same 2gr engine.

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No smells. Agreed, the voltage should be more than that unloaded. With it loaded and everything on she dropped in the mid 13's.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Really 13.9 volts isn't bad and within the range or normal. The problem is the diode that popped. It will not smell. They are small and it's possible that some event triggered the failure. If in warranty the dealer is going to replace the alternator without much thought and all will be well. Good luck.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
Really 13.9 volts isn't bad and within the range or normal. The problem is the diode that popped. It will not smell. They are small and it's possible that some event triggered the failure. If in warranty the dealer is going to replace the alternator without much thought and all will be well. Good luck.
i haven't rebuilt an alternator in about 30 plus years. yes, at one time there was a "diode bridge" where a diode could be removed and replaced. but later, came diode "trio" packs that simply popped into place. so you replaced all of them at one time. i think as you say, if under warranty the dealer will replace it, done deal.

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
Glenn,

where would you find the parts to replace the diode trio?

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well. here's an update fellas. The warranty company only approved a reman NAPA alt. <Ah geez>
The OE alt was removed and the clutch pulley was found rusted and locked up. But a least not free wheeling.
The reman was installed and it's charging. But even lower voltage!!!!
13.4V idling and even lower loaded up. 13.1
The ECM is seeing about 13V on the scan tool data list and even see drops down to 12.9 (full load)
And the battery light still remains on!!

So what do you think so far? Just a crappy alt and maybe a separate charging light problem?
I myself HATE aftermarket alternators on Toyota's. Never could trust them.
I'm a bit confused on this one. Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
why is toyota giving you a rebuilt napa alt ..

shouldnt they be using their genuine toyota parts?

The alt going bad is something that is toyota's fault and nothing in your power that caused it. You dont deserve nothing less than an OEM replacement.

I hate hearing these policies ! Like cell phone companies who send off a used refurbished phone because the phone they sold you crapped out and you had nothing to do with it !!!

sorry for the rant :headbang:

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's out of Toyota's hands. (well out of factory warr)
It's these cheap a$$ extended warranty company's we have to deal with.

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
^ oh okay nvm I thought it was a factory extended warranty.

Well I Wish you the best of luck with this situation, hopefully it gets resolved properly soon.

·
&#12452;&#12522;&#12472;&#12454;&#12512;
13,506 Posts
How about letting Autozone do a charging system test. They should check both the battery and the alternator.

If the warning light's diode is working, then the electrical system is drawing more than the alternator can supply, and it's coming out of the battery. This means your new battery may be going fairly soon too.

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Posting a fix. An OE reman Alternator fixed the battery light issue.
Only took an act of congress, and 4 wisdom teeth pulled, but the problem got resolved.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts