Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a battery last fall to replace a 10 year old one. I was going to sell the car in March after I had some flickering when I was driving *(swapped out the ignition switch and battery terminal was replaced). I drove it maybe once a week since March. It wouldn't start recently so I had it towed to the shop. It was being fixed for a few things. They said it needed a new battery, I asked specifically if they did a load test after a trickle charge to which they mentioned it would only hold around 250cca when it's rated for 500. I go then to start the car in the parking lot and said I'll take the battery back to the place I bought it from as it's under warrenty. By the time I drive there, cca is up to 376 even though I only drove 7 miles. I drive it home and then to work (roughly 1/2 hour / 20 miles). It starts up OK but definetly 'not right' at work and I drive 1/2 hour - 20 miles home. I let it sit 20 minutes until after dinner, and drive it back up 'to town' about 2 miles away to have them test the battery load again. This time it's reading 488CCA. I"m not sure what to do, I'm expecting the battery to barely turn on the car tomorrow morning the way it did after work - but by the time I get 'to town' they're going to read a "good" rating for battery and won't replace it.
What's causing this? Any ideas - I'm pretty sure there isn't some type of drain or anything

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts
Surface charge, sit there for a few minutes with the headlights, HVAC blower on high, and the rear defrost on. That'll drain it down and they'll get a test of the REAL battery state of charge.

Or just sit there till it gets low like that, then have them test and replace it. :lol: But if the car isn't getting driven often it'll just happen again, you need to have the battery on a float charger for extended periods of time sitting idle like that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.