Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Celica gt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headbang: ok so after redoing my timing belt and getting my timing correct, i get home and my car dies. check the battery with a dvom and i have 12.3 volts. jump started my car to try to let the alternator recharge and the car just dies after 5 min. i noticed that the generator ground strap that is by the alternator isnt hooked to anything so i bolted it down to the side fender. my question is could the ground strap be affecting my alternators ability to charge my battery? thanks for any help

·
new celica owner
1990 celica GT
97 Posts
:headbang: ok so after redoing my timing belt and getting my timing correct, i get home and my car dies. check the battery with a dvom and i have 12.3 volts. jump started my car to try to let the alternator recharge and the car just dies after 5 min. i noticed that the generator ground strap that is by the alternator isnt hooked to anything so i bolted it down to the side fender. my question is could the ground strap be affecting my alternators ability to charge my battery? thanks for any help
thats a possibility. take your alternator to an auto shop and have it tested

·
Registered
1990 Celica gt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tested the alternator and its still good, bought a new battery, hooked a DVOM to it while it was running and still got under 12.4 volts. anyone know where the generator ground wire bolts on to on the 1990 celica GT?

·
Registered
93 Celica GT Coupe
350 Posts
tested the alternator and its still good, bought a new battery, hooked a DVOM to it while it was running and still got under 12.4 volts. anyone know where the generator ground wire bolts on to on the 1990 celica GT?
Generator?

·
Registered
1990 Celica gt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
upon further research i found out that i blew the 100amp fuse that hooks on to the alternator. that thing is bolted under the fuse box with two screws. i ripped fuse to shreds before realising something was holding it underneath. replacing that fuse brought my battery voltage with the car running back to 14.4 volts. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
91' Celica GTS
208 Posts
My dad was experiencing a similar issue with the battery he was trying to recharge with a wall charger. I had to flip the switch from 6V to 12V. It's always something stupid, like a bolt retaining the fuse into the housing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts