Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 99 Avy, and My Die Hard Gold just plain Died!!! anyway... Does anyone who is cheap like me just try to top off with fluid to avoid getting a new battery? I charged it last night but I don't know if it will hold the charge.... :disappoin
 

·
Registered
'00 XLS, '05 XLS
Joined
·
372 Posts
i'm not sure that i understand what you mean by top off with fluid. if the battery has removable caps, then yes, you should remove the caps and top up with distilled water on a regular basis (every 3 months or so). if the water gets too low, the plates will sulfate faster, which kills the battery.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,403 Posts
If the battery will not hold a charge or ran out of water chances are it is shot. See how it holds up after being recharged, a dieing battery might be able to hold a charge for a few hours or a day, but not overnight.

Pickup a low cost digital voltmeter. A battery with a 100% charge will have a voltage of 12.6-12.7V. 50% 12.2, 10% 11.9V. Check the charging system with the voltmeter. Should be something like 13.1-13.8 when the battery is charging.

The battery may still have some of the warranty left.
 

·
'07 Avalon Limited
'07 Avalon Ltd
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
Take it to a local auto parts store and ask if they'll test it for you. Usually they'll do that for free. You'll know right away if you need to replace it - and coincidentally - you'll be at a place that can sell ya one!
 

·
TomC
Joined
·
49 Posts
Jagalag,

My advice is to buy a replacement battery immediately. :)

A battery going bad means low voltage/high amperage strain on your charging and starting systems including alternator, starter, battery cables, ignition switch, engine computer, etc.

Tom
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top