Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Highlander 4cyl 160k miles.

Long story short. Accidentally briefly touched the battery cables to the opposite poles. Car went berzerk. Horn, lights, etc.

It must have blown some fuses or something. Now it won't start. The starter won't even click to try to start. Nothing electrical works, except the headlights & door-dinger-if-open-and-key-in-ignition. Nothing else electrical seems to work... not radio, not fan, not LCD odometer, etc.

I've looked at the fuse panels under the hood over the drivers-side front wheel hub... and the one near left knee under the steering wheel. I can't seem to find any fuse that has blown.

I suspect it's probably a big main fuse somewhere. A friend said he thought there was a big 50+ amp fuse that is screwed in somewhere.

Any suggestions of where to look for this blown fuse would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Highlander fuse problems

Ok, many more problems with the fuses in my 2006 Highlander after I accidentally touched the battery cables to the wrong poles. Hopefully someone can help me out.

(1) Found the 140amp main power fuse (#59 in diagram linked below). But when I tried to pull it, it broke. Somehow, it's screwed or bolted into the fuse box even though no bolt or screw is visible. And I can't figure out how to get the fuse box detached to get to whatever screw is below that main power fuse. Any advice or suggestions on how to open up the fuse box to replace the 140amp main power fuse?

(2) Besides that main fuse, another fuse must be blown. As a quick fix to get the car home, we jammed the fuse together to complete its circuit. The car then would crank... but the accelerator doesn't work. We can't figure out what other fuse is blown that controls the gas pedal or fuel ignition or whatever is not working. Any suggestions?

(3) Also, and maybe related to question 2 above, now on the dashboard, 3 warning lights stay on: VSC, CHeck engine, and TRAC OFF. None of those should be lit up. Before my battery reversal, I had no warning lights illuminated.

Here's a great diagram of all the fuses in my Highlander:
http://www.autogenius.info/toyota-highlander-xu20-2004-2007-fuse-box-diagram/

Thanks in advance for any suggestions about these problems.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you have something like this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIT3/PAL2140BP/N1175.oap?ck=Search_N1175_1432932_-1&pt=N1175&ppt=C0172#itemDetailTab_

Did it appear blown? That fuse protects the alternator. It's bolted in from the backside.

You hopefully have other fuses blown. I would inspect each one from the top, looking for missing link or darkened window.
Thanks. Yes, the main 140amp fuse is blown. But when I tried to wiggle it and pull it, the plastic shell around it broke. (See picture attached.) Evidently, it is screwed or bolted underneath the fuse box. But I can't figure out how to remove the fuse box to see how it's attached.

Now, the fuse you show... I bought that exact same fuse in the pic you attached from O'Reilly's, but it doesn't look like my old broken fuse attaches like that... at least it doesn't look like it's screwed in like that (but then again, I can't see under the fusebox to know how it's attached).

I suspect the fuse prongs are more like this 120amp fuse I photographed at autozone. They didn't have a 140amp fuse like that though. My old broken main fuse is definitely 140amp, but I suspect underneath it's shaped like the prongs on this 120amp fuse... but I may be wrong.

Thanks for your response. Any additional advice or help is greatly welcomed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Highlander fuse problems

Ok, many more problems with the fuses in my 2006 Highlander after I accidentally touched the battery cables to the wrong poles. Hopefully someone can help me out.

(1) Found the 140amp main power fuse (#59 in diagram linked below). But when I tried to pull it, it broke. Somehow, it's screwed or bolted into the fuse box even though no bolt or screw is visible. And I can't figure out how to get the fuse box detached to get to whatever screw is below that main power fuse. Any advice or suggestions on how to open up the fuse box to replace the 140amp main power fuse?

(2) Besides that main fuse, another fuse must be blown. As a quick fix to get the car home, we jammed the fuse together to complete its circuit. The car then would crank... but the accelerator doesn't work. We can't figure out what other fuse is blown that controls the gas pedal or fuel ignition or whatever is not working. Any suggestions?

(3) Also, and maybe related to question 2 above, now on the dashboard, 3 warning lights stay on: VSC, CHeck engine, and TRAC OFF. None of those should be lit up. Before my battery reversal, I had no warning lights illuminated.

Here's a great diagram of all the fuses in my Highlander:
Toyota Highlander (XU20; 2004 - 2007) - fuse box diagram - Auto Genius

Thanks in advance for any suggestions about these problems.
Did you ever get this problem resolved? I did the same thing with my dad's 2006 Highlander (because the negative cable is painted red) and now have the same symptoms. No accelerator function and the same warning lights. Let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.