Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Celica
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 93 celica gt. this car has a 5s-fe 2.2 motor, i'm planning on swapping with a 3sge 2.0 Beams motor! but why go n/a when i can go with the 3sgte and have turbo, i have not seen this swap before! should i go 3sge beams with vvt-i or 3sgte?

·
Registered
205 Posts
the 3sgte is the most common swap, there are tons of people who have done this including me. you'll find it a lot easier to do a 3sgte rather then a Beams 3sge just because you'll have a lot more resources to help you. plus a 3sgte is a lot easer to come by and a hell of a lot cheaper then a Beams. I haven't seen a Beams 3sge into a 5th gen Celice before but it would be one bad ass car. i think the celica trannys should bolt on to the 3sge, but i think the hardest part is the wiring.

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
I believe there is BEAMS ecu being sold on TN in the parts for sale section. About a year ago I saw wire harness. There was a BEAMS redtop 3SGE on sale on TN also, not sure how much it was going for but with that combo I just told you your on your way to getting BEAMS in your car. Just wonder which BEAMS are you looking for redtop 3SGE or blacktop 3SGE?

·
Registered
446 Posts
TTercel said:
I believe there is BEAMS ecu being sold on TN in the parts for sale section. About a year ago I saw wire harness. There was a BEAMS redtop 3SGE on sale on TN also, not sure how much it was going for but with that combo I just told you your on your way to getting BEAMS in your car. Just wonder which BEAMS are you looking for redtop 3SGE or blacktop 3SGE?
His only choice is the redtop. Unless he decides to go with the blacktop in the rav4, but then again he's better off with the redtop from the celica anyways.

celtrac said:
i own a 93 celica gt. this car has a 5s-fe 2.2 motor, i'm planning on swapping with a 3sge 2.0 Beams motor! but why go n/a when i can go with the 3sgte and have turbo, i have not seen this swap before! should i go 3sge beams with vvt-i or 3sgte?
If you are having any trouble debating between the two engines you might as well go with the 3sgte. Either one you decide on you will be very happy with. But, if you seek more power then you'll find that the BEAMS will be limited to its stock form. Upgrading parts will be very hard to find for the BEAMS.

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
TubRog5 said:
His only choice is the redtop. Unless he decides to go with the blacktop in the rav4, but then again he's better off with the redtop from the celica anyways.
/quote]

Wait didnt the Rav4 have the redtop as well, and the Altezzas have blacktop?

Why does Japan get the best cars and motors:disappoin:lol:

·
Registered
Toyota Celica
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input! yeah i would be going with the red top Beams! finding the motor wasn't that hard, i know a seller that is selling it to me for cheap but it has no ecu or harness just the motor! but a couple weeks ago i met a toyota fanatic that has the ecu and harness, for a good price, so finding what i need wasn't that much of a challenge as coming up with the money will be, but i'm working on that! everything should pretty much just bolt on, i can use my stock transmission, but i would like to get one with LSD, it would be nice!

·
Registered
7th Gen Celica GT
11 Posts
celtrac said:
The BEAM engine is N/A because of its high compression ratio. You cant put a turbo or SC on it or you'll just blow everything out from under ur hood. However, for a N/A - the BEAM is by far a fuckins sweet engine.

Think about it; A 1.8 4 cyl VVTL-i with a little bit over 200 HP... impressive. :clap:

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
First off, you CAN turbo the BEAMS 3SGE.
It has been done.
High C:R does NOT mean no boost. It means careful tuning...

Also, the BEAMS engine he is interested in is a 2.0[3SGE], not a 1.8[1/2ZZGE].

1 - 10 of 10 Posts