Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dumb or maybe not so dumb question..............

what are those little pockets (above the wheel wells)
in the truck for?

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
I think at one time we came to the conclusion that the indents were used by the factory in order to maneuver the solid composite beds during production. (edit: since the beds are made at a separate location from the rest of the truck)

They added the plastic "cubby" inserts to make them useful somehow. Haven't kept anything in there myself. Thought about adding a door to them or using them to mount some bed lights like so many others have done.

"ThyssenKrupp Budd Co. will manufacture a short and long sheet-molding-composite
box for the Tacoma at a new plant near Toyota’s facility in Tijuana, Mexico. The
automaker will finish the boxes in Mexico and ship them to its New United Motor Mfg. Inc.
final assembly plant venture in Fremont, Calif."
- http://www.autotechdaily.com/pdfs/T01-15~1.PDF

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just keep some bungee cords in them. Couldn't really come up with anything better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not sure what they are for either, but I broke the tabs off of one of them getting it out to figure out what it was for. I thought maybe there was hidden treasure back there or something.
-Mike

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
Count said:
I think they're supposed to hold cans of beans, for when you go camping.

Good thinking - I've tried to put empty beer cans in there so they wouldn't be so visible, but you can't fit many and they just blow right out into the bed as soon as you start moving anyway.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
pnueve said:
I'm not sure what they are for either, but I broke the tabs off of one of them getting it out to figure out what it was for.
-Mike
No tools are needed to remove them without breaking anything:

The pockets should have a little "play" around them. Pull straight up on the pocket, and then get your fingers underneath the bottom lip and pull the bottom out. It should come loose, and then rotate the top out and down to get the pocket out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts