Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I punctured a dime sized hole through my Tacoma's bed.
How do I repair or patch it since it's a plastic composite molded bed?
Two part epoxy from auto supply store? Which one is the best performance for this application?

·
Offical Tacoma Driver
2008 Indigo DC LB
157 Posts
Got a pic? Shit, I would take it to the dealer could be covered by warranty?

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,160 Posts
Don't sound so surprised. Anything sharp cuts the bed. I've had a missing chunk from the top of my tailgate for years!

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma 4x4
153 Posts
its not plastic its a type of fibreglass, search google for boat repairs and go from there. If its just to fill the hole, fibreglass sheet with resin and sand smooth, paint to match.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,160 Posts
the edge of the tailgate is plastic the bed is a fiberglass composite
Now that you mention it, it does seem softer than the bed. Is just the top edge of the tailgate plastic or the whole piece? What about the top edges around the bed?

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma DC,4X4
166 Posts
you can use what we call cat hair to fill the hole. (fiberglass filler with a hardener. its green in color.) to be sure what to do , i will ask a body man exactly what to do about a hole in the bed tomorrow.

·
Registered
'06 Tacoma PreRunner
527 Posts
My bed cracked. I own and operate slot machines and one day I was too lazy to tie them down, the bed is fiberglass I got it 'reinforced' and patched.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I know it has fiberglass in the material, but not sure if it will work.
It's a leased truck, so I maybe screwed to buy a new bed for Toyota.
I've carried concrete bags, plywood, etc. on it, but a 100 pound, steel alloy brake die punctured it. I can only assume the sharp end did it.

·
TexasJiminSTX
2005 Tacoma 2WD
218 Posts
Marine-Tex is a two-part epoxy repair material that comes in grey or white. That will fix almost anything. Get it at a boat store like West Marine.

I've got some white Marine-Tex on my tailgate from a boat repair job, and I can't get it off!

Texas Jim in St Croix Like Verizon: More Bars in More Places

·
Offical Tacoma Driver
2008 Indigo DC LB
157 Posts
Can't imagine that being covered.

You are right but I know my salesman said it was indestructible. I know anything to make a sale but I didn't know if it had a warranty like the line x or rhino liner. My brother-in-law has a Titan and they re-sprayed his liner because it got jacked up.

·
Registered
2009 Tacoma TRD Crew
33 Posts
I know it has fiberglass in the material, but not sure if it will work.
It's a leased truck, so I maybe screwed to buy a new bed for Toyota.
I've carried concrete bags, plywood, etc. on it, but a 100 pound, steel alloy brake die punctured it. I can only assume the sharp end did it.

This was my only worry with a Taco composite bed.

I put a rubber mat in my composite bed ... but that will not protect the bed sides and tailgate.

I have a 2009 crew cab Taco and am looking for bed protection now (not Rhino type).

Does anyone make a "bedliner" or a "tray liner" for Taco composite beds ??

SOS

PS .. I traded in a 2007 Tundra and that metal bed ... had Rhino & bedliner & rubber bed mat.

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma DC,4X4
166 Posts
I punctured a dime sized hole through my Tacoma's bed.
How do I repair or patch it since it's a plastic composite molded bed?
Two part epoxy from auto supply store? Which one is the best performance for this application?
i asked the bodyman and ironically he was working on a fiberglass monster truck we have at the shop and he first told me to have you stop by and he would take care of it for you for a six pack. and i told him Florida is a long way from Virginia. so he told me how to go about fixing it and i took some pics for you.
this is the three part fiberglass mixture he used.

he mixed the resin and hardener in a cup and then put some on the repair area and then put the fiberglass mat down and he saturated it with more of the resin and hardener mix. and let it dry for an hour or so.

after it dried he applied some fine hair fiberglass filler to smooth and fill the area up a little more.

after that he put some bondo to smooth it even more and final sanded with 180

now ready for primer and paint.
he did tell me that if the damaged area has a crack in it you will need to drill a small hole where the crack ends to stop it from cracking more like a crack in a windshield.
hope this helps ya!! good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info yall.
I think a good solution to this problem is to use an epoxy to bond, then reinforce it with fiberglass mat from the wheel well.
To reduce probability of this occurring again, I may invest in rubber mat. Several elements contributed to this problem: I take corners too quickly, did not tie down the die, the bed has little traction (zero on metal). By simply putting a mat, it would grip most item in the bed, and I may not have to change my driving style.
I think Linex is far too expensive. Great for show and durability, but eats the wallet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts