Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am driving the hybrid.

Does the new Alpin head also retain the native Toyota functions like the menu of "Setup", "Maintenance", Driver Easy Speak", etc? And the "Eco" menu is only in Hybrid models.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
7,749 Posts
There is a OBD tool to change those settings.
Not sure if its on the branded units, or just the Android Headunits that fit like the OEM, but those can use an app that even expands on the stock setup, like read tire pressure with psi and other features.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am driving the hybrid.

Does the new Alpin head also retain the native Toyota functions like the menu of "Setup", "Maintenance", Driver Easy Speak", etc? And the "Eco" menu is only in Hybrid models.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I also had those options in my factory head unit. They don’t show up on the Alpine, but honestly I never used them anyway. The driver easy speak is now Siri so whenever you press the persons head on the steering wheel Siri comes on.

·
Somewhere in the Ether...
25 Posts
Looks very good. Last time I'd looked around the forum there weren't a lot of posts about people doing HU swaps for CarPlay/Android Auto units. I've been looking and not found one that didn't look kludgy. This gives me some good ideas. Thanks for sharing.

·
7,749 Posts
Where did you end up mounting the microphone for the hu?The installer I'm dealing with says it can't reuse the Toyota built in one.
Easily mounted on the headliner. You can clip it in place behind the mirror or above your visor. BUT, you should be able to use the stock. I did not, as it was more a pain to wire. The stock mic is on the top liner by the overhead lights.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My guess why he didn't want to use the toyo mic might be because I told the installer not to cut my original harness or make it so the swap back to stock could not be done easily.

·
7,749 Posts
YEs, and it could be all wrapped up in a proprietary harness with other wires. So... Get a decent quality model that cuts outside noise, and it should work well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
maestro integration

Just a fyi to would be installers who plan to use a maestro module, as I did. The alpine 309's line-in becomes inactive when you install with Maestro. Meaning, you lose the line in 3.5mm jack. Thought it was an issue with my radio or the install, alpine support confirmed that this is to be expected (its on page 75 of the manual).

On the up side, the included microphone is good quality, callers have commented that calls sound clearer than on the original toyo mic.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just a fyi to would be installers who plan to use a maestro module, as I did. The alpine 309's line-in becomes inactive when you install with Maestro. Meaning, you lose the line in 3.5mm jack. Thought it was an issue with my radio or the install, alpine support confirmed that this is to be expected (its on page 75 of the manual).

On the up side, the included microphone is good quality, callers have commented that calls sound clearer than on the original toyo mic.
Do you wish you had wireless Android Auto or CarPlay with this?

How do you like the screen resolution? Responsive or laggy? I'm interested in this. Currently have a Kenwood DMX906S on order from Crutchfield, but I really like the UI and the esthetic of this Alpine. My wishlist was to have Miracast/Wireless Screen Mirroring as well as wireless Android Auto.

I also wish Alpine included at least a 720p screen on this considering it's 9"

·
Registered
12 Posts

How do you like the screen resolution? Responsive or laggy? I'm interested in this. Currently have a Kenwood DMX906S on order from Crutchfield, but I really like the UI and the esthetic of this Alpine. My wishlist was to have Miracast/Wireless Screen Mirroring as well as wireless Android Auto.

Honestly, the res is a little bit lower than i'd like, though its not noticeably bad or anything on waze/google maps or the radio/info screens. I do pipe in video over the hdmi and that comes out like 480p? quality (very watchable). It might be that its a larger screen and partially my imagination, but the backup cam looks a little less sharp as well.

Fingers crossed, no lag at all so far. Google assistant is pretty snappy when you enter addresses or ask questions it knows how to handle.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Honestly, the res is a little bit lower than i'd like, though its not noticeably bad or anything on waze/google maps or the radio/info screens. I do pipe in video over the hdmi and that comes out like 480p? quality (very watchable). It might be that its a larger screen and partially my imagination, but the backup cam looks a little less sharp as well.

Fingers crossed, no lag at all so far. Google assistant is pretty snappy when you enter addresses or ask questions it knows how to handle.
Despite wishing the screen was at least 720p, you just convinced me to change my order to the Halo 9. Pricey, but that form factor and UI have will me over with your feedback. Thanks. Maybe Alpine will add wireless AA in future models.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
17 Participants
drpheta
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing