Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Corolla 2010 automatic (178 000 km). Recently, a new problem just started. When my car is running for the first 15 minutes, I hear a belt noise from 1nd to 2nd and 2nd to 3nd. If I accelerate harder, the belt noise will be shorter (probably because I don't let the time to my car for shifting smoothly). But the noise occurs between the changing delay of the gears. After about 30 minutes, I will barely hear the noise, or the noise just disappear.

Is it something wrong with my transmission?

·
Vendor
86 Posts
I have a Corolla 2010 automatic (178 000 km). Recently, a new problem just started. When my car is running for the first 15 minutes, I hear a belt noise from 1nd to 2nd and 2nd to 3nd. If I accelerate harder, the belt noise will be shorter (probably because I don't let the time to my car for shifting smoothly). But the noise occurs between the changing delay of the gears. After about 30 minutes, I will barely hear the noise, or the noise just disappear.

Is it something wrong with my transmission?
Hello, the belt is adjustable on the 1.8L 2ZR-FE engine. Have you tried adjusting it? Apparently, it's pretty common for the belt to come out of adjustment because there's a TSB (T-SB-0136-10) regarding belt noise and subsequent adjustment. Not sure if you have the 1.8L or the 2.4L The 2.4L is an automatic tensioner.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,412 Posts
What's the current condition of the belt? Any cracks in the ribs? The belt tensioner pulley could be on its way out.

Does the squealing occur during idling?

Reactions: Girohead

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know that much about automobile mechanic but the belt seem to be in good shape. The squealing only occurs between shifting. Never in idling

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, the belt is adjustable on the 1.8L 2ZR-FE engine. Have you tried adjusting it? Apparently, it's pretty common for the belt to come out of adjustment because there's a TSB (T-SB-0136-10) regarding belt noise and subsequent adjustment. Not sure if you have the 1.8L or the 2.4L The 2.4L is an automatic tensioner.
Thanks for the advice. I will try that tomorrow to see if it will fix the problem

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,412 Posts
I've never heard of belt squealing between shifts on an automatic. Try spraying the belt with belt spray from your local auto store to see if the noise goes away.

Can you post a video for us to help out more? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Unless it’s the transmission making the noise…. What is the condition of the fluid? Nice and pink? Dark red? Black?

·
Registered
2000 Corolla CE, 186k miles, AT
142 Posts
What's the current condition of the belt? Any cracks in the ribs? The belt tensioner pulley could be on its way out.

Does the squealing occur during idling?
At 178k km (What's that for us Yanks, a Mm?), was the belt ever replaced? It may just be time, I'd do PM before too much fixing.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Rubber shrinks when it heats up, so the cold belt is looser. Replace the belt. Save the old one for emergencies. The tension is adjustable, but why do all that work now, and probably have to go at it again after the belt gets worse, where a new belt should be trouble free for the next 1oo.ooo miles. Before you start that though, check the water pump to make sure it isn't starting to leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At 178k km (What's that for us Yanks, a Mm?), was the belt ever replaced? It may just be time, I'd do PM before too much fixing.
178 000 km == 110 000 mi ~

I don't know if the belt was replaced recently. I just got the car 3 month ago

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless it’s the transmission making the noise…. What is the condition of the fluid? Nice and pink? Dark red? Black?
The week I bought the car (from 3 months ago), I checked the ATF and it was really low. But it was red and smell sweet (so still in good condition). I topped up with atf fluid from Toyota to the max level.
The car sometimes has a hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd (I can feel it). I visited 3 transmission shops and they all said the same thing: You car shift well. I don't see anything wrong with it. And I asked to the last guy why sometimes the car shifts hard from 2nd to 3nd then. He responded: Probably because you're accelerating too hard. Your car is not designed for that. You're worrying for nothing. Stop worrying, you're car shift well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you checking the fluid level with the engine running?
Of course yes. I make sure that the car is running for at least 20-30 minutes before checking. The problem with this car is that I don't know how much time this car has been running with low fluid. I added about 800 ml (or 27 oz if you prefer) to max it up. It's been 3 months and the fluid is still at the same level on the dipstick (HOT) (so I guess there is no leak witch is weird that a car loose ATF fluid over time but ok...)

·
Registered
142 Posts
178 000 km == 110 000 mi ~

I don't know if the belt was replaced recently. I just got the car 3 month ago
I know it's 110mi, I was joking about k-km (1000km, is that a Megameter?)....Depending on how well it was taken care of, or seemed like it, it's probably pretty likely that the belt wasn't changed. I'd swap it before chasing down belt dressing, new tensioner, etc. They are inexpensive, easy to swap and should be changed. You also know what and when you put it in and will be free for another 60k (Mi, or 100k km), I'm not sure the schedule.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The week I bought the car (from 3 months ago), I checked the ATF and it was really low. But it was red and smell sweet (so still in good condition). I topped up with atf fluid from Toyota to the max level.
The car sometimes has a hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd (I can feel it). I visited 3 transmission shops and they all said the same thing: You car shift well. I don't see anything wrong with it. And I asked to the last guy why sometimes the car shifts hard from 2nd to 3nd then. He responded: Probably because you're accelerating too hard. Your car is not designed for that. You're worrying for nothing. Stop worrying, you're car shift well.
That is just how that transmission shifts. From brand new, it shifts like that when you floor it. Since the ATF was low though, look for a leak- pan leak, cooler line leak. If it wasn't leaking it may have been changed and not filled properly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That is just how that transmission shifts. From brand new, it shifts like that when you floor it. Since the ATF was low though, look for a leak- pan leak, cooler line leak. If it wasn't leaking it may have been changed and not filled properly.
How did this discussion fork into two topics? I was following the belt noise and got curious how transmission became a concern. I see that you're answering the transmission shifting and low fluid. If the initial question about belt noise is related to AT, please tell me how so I can learn something.

·
Registered
731 Posts
How did this discussion fork into two topics? I was following the belt noise and got curious how transmission became a concern. I see that you're answering the transmission shifting and low fluid. If the initial question about belt noise is related to AT, please tell me how so I can learn something.
Go back to the top and work your way down. You will see how it happened....

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,412 Posts
Hard shifting could be related to the valve body or the transmission itself. Maybe the PO did a transmission flush and the torque converter has some debris and gets stuck causing the hard shifting.

Even with the fluid being clean, a drain and pan drop might help. Change the trans filter and see if the magnets caught big pieces. Are you getting any codes for shift solenoids?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I find that the first shift or so is hard if pressing on the gas too much for the revs. if pressing lightly or full throttle it isnt a hard shift

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've never heard of belt squealing between shifts on an automatic. Try spraying the belt with belt spray from your local auto store to see if the noise goes away.

Can you post a video for us to help out more? Thanks.
UPDATE :
Ok, so I tried what you said. I sprayed a good amount of belt dressing on the belt. Nothing has changed. Still can hear the noise sometimes between shifting (especially from 1nd-2nd/2nd-3nd). Rarely, I will hear the noise from 3nd-4nd (and if I hear it, it will be really quiet and quick like 0,5 seconds).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts