Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'll get right to it. My 2012 Corolla S belts squeal when I have the fan turned on, but it will only last max about 5 seconds then go away. It will also squeal when I pull out my driveway as I hit the breaks, fan off and slow down resulting in a low idle. The lights dim a bit also. Then it wont do it again.
I just had my alternator replaced and new belt, recently tightened after some miles.
Not sure what's going on, could it be the old battery?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sounds like you're just short of the right tension/tightness on the belt. The squeal is from friction, friction creates heat, hot(er) rubber grabs better than cold(er). That's why you see race car drivers weaving aggressively in the laps prior to green flag -- hot tires grab better.

Gates makes something called Krickit belt tension tester sold in 2 models for 2 different tightness ranges. To use it, you have to look up the tension spec on your belt, read the Krikit directions, place it just right on the belt, and develop the hand of a surgeon, but eventually you learn to use it. $8-12. Pro tension gauges run $20-190.

Or tighten a tad more at a time until the squeal absolutely stops. If you can't get it to stop, you might have worn pulleys on the components being turned by the belt.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
The pulley is noisy. Bearings are likely failing.

The belt stretches over time and the squeal you hear is from the belt getting slack and then tightening.

Remove the belt and turn the pulleys by hand to isolate if it's the tensioner or another pulley like alternator, water pump.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also get a squeak when AC is running, or when one of the 3 settings that blow air to defog the windshield are used...

Which belt would be in use when the ac is ON (any posittion), or when its blowings any air to the windshield? I tried to find one that wasn't turning when its not doing the noise (i'm guessing the ac compressor's belt)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Which belt goes around the a/c compressor pulley? That's your answer. The belt doesn't stop turning when the a/c is off. Instead, the a/c compressor's built-in clutch disengages, allowing the pulley on the compressor to turn freely while the compressor itself isn't actuated. The a/c clutch is instantaneously engaging when you hear the CLICK (and in your case, squeal) when the compressor kicks in.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
It's only 1 belt to worry about.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
Try changing the belt first. It's very easy to change and can be done quickly. Most of the time that will solve your issue. I just changed mine this summer as it was squealing when I started my car. New belt, no more squealing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts