Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I have seen a lot of good threads on here about how to change out t100 bench seats, which I want to do. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on which seats require the least fabrication? Ideally, I would like something that I do not have to offset it left/ right and minimize the amount of time I have to ask my biddy to spend making brackets to get it to line up with the steering wheel. Of course, I'll get whatever I get from a salvage yard, so something common would be nice as well. I see a few BMW seat swaps seem to be popular.

With newer Tundras and Tacos, the seats have airbags. I'm not sure if I can install those and just not have the airbags wired up?

Ideally, it would have a large range of adjustment as well as my wife is 16 inches shorter than I am!

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,249 Posts
I wanted to do the same for years and even though I have the ability and needed Buddy network to do any fabrication it just became ridiculous, buckets or bench. Comes down to a safety issue for me. I'd recommend taking all or half your seat out and start measuring and photographing what your up against and then make a mock-up. Don't forget the seat belts still need to work too. I decided it wa easier to use a single plate with the new track bolted to it and then that plate bolted in the truck. No welding and stronger than modifying one or more leg of a track. Once everything bolted up including the seat and belts I had a machine shop water-jet the excess center material out and smooth out all the edges. Very strong as one unit and all bolted together with grade 8 hardware. That was adapting T100 buckets to it. Did one side, didn't like the seat so I'm back to my 60/40 and will have my local upholstery shop build it up to my needs instead of wandering junk yards wondering "what if" . Good Luck and keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welp, I found a t100 with buckets. The same year, same SR5 trim, same color! got the buckets and they do not fit! I was hoping they'd be a bolt in swap but it looks like there is a plate welded on underneath that determines if the truck is bench or bucket compatible at the factory. It looks like I could drill pretty easily to make them fit. I was thinking of drilling holes and then using a locking nut and a steel piece between the nuts. Is there any reason not to do this and make a bracket instead?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the t100 bucket? part of me thinks that if I am going to spend all that time drilling I might as well get something super fancy from a brand new tacoma or something, provided they are in the scrapyard at a decent price. Are modern seats really any comfier though? It has been a long time since I had a modern truck! Also, I guess they would be powered, is that difficult to set up or just a quick connect to an ignition circuit ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to do the same for years and even though I have the ability and needed Buddy network to do any fabrication it just became ridiculous, buckets or bench. Comes down to a safety issue for me. I'd recommend taking all or half your seat out and start measuring and photographing what your up against and then make a mock-up. Don't forget the seat belts still need to work too. I decided it wa easier to use a single plate with the new track bolted to it and then that plate bolted in the truck. No welding and stronger than modifying one or more leg of a track. Once everything bolted up including the seat and belts I had a machine shop water-jet the excess center material out and smooth out all the edges. Very strong as one unit and all bolted together with grade 8 hardware. That was adapting T100 buckets to it. Did one side, didn't like the seat so I'm back to my 60/40 and will have my local upholstery shop build it up to my needs instead of wandering junk yards wondering "what if" . Good Luck and keep us in the loop.
You don't happen to still have that plate do you? I'd be interested in buying it if you do!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.