Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay basically on my camry, the custom downpipe that needs to be made will be EXTEREMLY close to the dipstick. I need to bend it over to the left a decent amount.

What would I use to keep it from kinking? I would use a propane torch to heat it up, but then what?

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
ok I have never done this in particualr but you should be able to remove the dipstick tube and put some kind of solid flexible material into the tube. Heat it up and bend it to the desired angle. when you are done remove the flexibel material and hopefully you are done. It would be similar to mandrel bending except you would be using heat instead of mechanical force. You would need to make suer tht you can insert and remove the flexible material from the dipstick after you are done heating and bending it. Unfotunately I am not sure what type of material you would use to make this work. I hope this helps somewhat. maybe it will spark an idea of your own that will work for you.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
You might try a tubing bender. There are several styles and come in different sizes. Know someone who's a plumber, or works on brake lines etc.?

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont, but someone on mr2oc suggseted a brake line bender. How would I go about removing the dip stick?

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
isnt there jsut one bolt that attaches a small ear to the block. You can remove this botl and then you can pull it out of the block. It has an o-ring on the end where it goes into the block. I am working off memory here so I am not sure about that but I think it is right.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If this is on a 4cyl .
Dip stick tube is pressed in the block and a Biatch to take out without ruining it.

Just hit it carefully with a hammer away from the downpipe. These tubes are pretty sturdy.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Some tubing benders are just a flexible wirewrap tube flared on at least one end. They make different sizes to just fit over your size tube. Then you hand-bend it. This is supposed to keep it from kinking. Not sure it would work for this application tho, but you wouldn't need to remove the tube. Might try googling for tubing benders to get an idea of what might work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts