Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2004 Tacoma TRD 4x4 auto and my Rugged Trails are worn out and am looking for the best tire for replacement (all season). Mostly highway driving and a little 4x4 fun on the weekends and is a daily driver. I was going for an AT but will not suit my needs,looking for good ride,low rolling resistance,a good looking tire that will be mounted on TRD aluminum rims in 265/70/16 size. MPGs and comfort are important any personal input will be greatly appreciated. Im looking for first hand experience and have scanned all tire review websites and cant make a decision. thanx :D

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
Although a little pricey, the Bridgestone Revo's seem to be an awesome tire. I can't afford them or I would buy them in a second.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would stick with the highway all season category for the best ride and mileage. Some of the most popular would consist of the following: Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza, Goodyear Fortera (Silent Armor & TripleTred), and the Firestone Destination LE. Click here to search tires by size or vehicle. Feel free to contact me directly to discuss the details.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thoughthard said:
I have read reviews of MPG loss with Forteras.

Make sure to look at Michelin LTX M/S and Firestone Destination A/T
These are the two tires I was considering from tirerrack reviews and previous personal experience with Michelin LTX M&S which are all they are cracked up to be as far as balancing and long wearing great tire but they also look like a street tire and I have the offroad TRD package and want a rugged looking tire with good road manners and low resistance. I was almost hooked on Firestone Destination AT $119.00 per tire locally, great looks good reviews from customers,but again some reviewers stated a .05- 2MPG loss with them,Ive looked at the Forteras and from the specs they are a heavy tire 40lbs.? and thats why they lose MPGs,the Kevlar protection makes them heavier. My last thought would be Cooper Discovery ATR tire,they are the replacement tire for the Cooper AT and are more road friendly than the AT and the rubber weighs 37lbs. a tire stockers are 36lbs. so no weight issue there and look pretty good,if anybody has experience with the Cooper ATR please respond with your thoughts and any pics if possible. Thanx to all for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Here is a Consumer Reports rating list to mix up your choices :whatthe:

1. Goodyear Fortera HL Edition
2. Pirelli Scorpion STR A
3. Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
4. Kelly Safari Signature
5. Dayton Timberline HT
6. Hankook DynaPro AT RF08
7. Dunlop Radial Rover AT
8. General AmeriTrac SUV (Sears)
9. Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country
10. Toyo Radial Open Country M410
11. Kumho Road Venture HT
12. Firestone Destination LE
13. Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684
14. Uniroyal Laredo All Season AWP
15. Michelin XC LT4 (Sears)
16. Cooper Discoverer H/T
17. Michelin LTX M/S
18. Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051
19. Michelin Cross Terrain
20. Continental ContiTrac SUV
21. Kelly Safari SUV
22. BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A

Keep in mind they only test a narrow selection of tires, so there might be "better" out there.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thoughthard said:
Here is a Consumer Reports rating list to mix up your choices :whatthe:

1. Goodyear Fortera HL Edition
2. Pirelli Scorpion STR A
3. Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
4. Kelly Safari Signature
5. Dayton Timberline HT
6. Hankook DynaPro AT RF08
7. Dunlop Radial Rover AT
8. General AmeriTrac SUV (Sears)
9. Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country
10. Toyo Radial Open Country M410
11. Kumho Road Venture HT
12. Firestone Destination LE
13. Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684
14. Uniroyal Laredo All Season AWP
15. Michelin XC LT4 (Sears)
16. Cooper Discoverer H/T
17. Michelin LTX M/S
18. Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051
19. Michelin Cross Terrain
20. Continental ContiTrac SUV
21. Kelly Safari SUV
22. BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A

Keep in mind they only test a narrow selection of tires, so there might be "better" out there.
These consumer reports ratings state that #1 Fortera is best and the rest are numerically in order from best to worst? How did Michelin LTX make it down to #17? They must add cost(value) to thier eqaution because based on Toyota Truck owners LTX is the #1 All Season for Yota Trucks on other websites.How the heck does Pirelli always end up at the top of Tirerack and Consumer Reports rankings I had the Scorpion All Terrains and they were the worst tires I ever owned,bought them for the looks and cool name a big mistake. Im leaning towards these Michelin Cross Terrain,LTX,or XC LT4 unless I can get feedback on Cooper ATR which didnt make any lists Ive looked at.:whatwhat: Although Ill have to live with the wimpy sidewalls on the Michelins:confused: sucks. thoughthard where are you shoveling all this snow Malibu,California? Im on the North East and its like summer time I love Global warming.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051

i highly recommend that. don't let the low price of the tire fool you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
johnv said:
These are the two tires I was considering from tirerrack reviews and previous personal experience with Michelin LTX M&S which are all they are cracked up to be as far as balancing and long wearing great tire but they also look like a street tire and I have the offroad TRD package and want a rugged looking tire with good road manners and low resistance. I was almost hooked on Firestone Destination AT $119.00 per tire locally, great looks good reviews from customers,but again some reviewers stated a .05- 2MPG loss with them,Ive looked at the Forteras and from the specs they are a heavy tire 40lbs.? and thats why they lose MPGs,the Kevlar protection makes them heavier. My last thought would be Cooper Discovery ATR tire,they are the replacement tire for the Cooper AT and are more road friendly than the AT and the rubber weighs 37lbs. a tire stockers are 36lbs. so no weight issue there and look pretty good,if anybody has experience with the Cooper ATR please respond with your thoughts and any pics if possible. Thanx to all for the feedback.
I have an '04 Tacoma DC TRD. I just got a set of the Michelin X Radial LT at Sam's Club. After researching them they are basically the same as the LTX M/S but the lettering looks better and they are a little cheaper. As far as a rugged looking tire they look fine, and I have takin them offroad several times and performed great. From experience, don't buy a tire just cuz it looks rugged if you want a good ride. This tire has the best of both worlds. If you like tomorrow when I get home I can post some pics of the truck and the tires.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was researching tires for a '90 ae92 coupe and stumbled on this thread about light truck tires. I am also looking to replace the tires on our 96 explorer v8 awd that are worn out. On there now are BFG TAKOs. I like them for the three ply sidewall that reduces the lateral movement from strong cross winds and such traveling alot over the mountain pass.

Are there any other three ply sidewalls to consider or is what I have now the best choice? What ya think Kyle? Thanks KC

·
Registered
241 Posts
In regards to the all terrain C load tires(LT235 75 15) I've had good luck with the Bridgestone AT Revo and the BFG that you currently have. There are a lot of choices available. You can view all the tires here. Send me a message if I can help. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts