Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all you Echo people,

I just signed up because I'm planning on purchasing a second-hand Echo by the end of the week! I've read a lot of reviews and it sounds like a great little car, but I'm wondering what model year would be the best to purchase - 2004 or 2005? The only thing that worries me about the 2005 is the Ratings it got in Consumer Reports - a few problems were reported compared to the stellar ratings for 2004. Paint problems were frequently reported for 2005, for example. Would be grateful for any advice on this - have any of you 2005 owners experienced any problems - mechanical or cosmetic?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine is a 05 Echo hatch bought new. There is one space between the two 3M plastics factory installed on the rear fenders where road debris kinda sandblasts the paint. Gets worse if you use wider tires than originals. I don't know if the regular Echo also has these, I don't think so.

The only difference between a 04 and 05 Echo hatch is the addition of the RPM indicator and digital fuel gauge. The regular Echo was exactly the same from 04 to 05.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like there shouldn't be any more likelihood of minor problems with the '05 than with the '04. Strange that there were slightly more problems reported for '05, but I guess it could be a fluke. Have you been happy with your purchase?

·
Registered
219 Posts
My 01 just turned 200,000kms with no problems other than routine maintenance,i wouldnt worry too much about year as these cars are very durable and reliable,i'd look for something around 40 to 60000kms that was well maintained,you will probably save some money by buying private try
Craigslist=http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/search/cta?query=echo&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max
Or Kijiji=http://montreal.kijiji.ca/f-echo-cars-vehicles-cars-Toyota-W0QQisSearchFormZtrueQQCatIdZ204QQKeywordZecho

Dont get too wraptup in trying to buy a perfect showroom conditioned car,these cars are inexpensive reliable econoboxes and should be driven as such,if you want to baby the car change oil regularly,give it a coat of wax once a year ,get it oil sprayed (Krown or Metropolitan) and just drive it,dont worry about dings,dents and scratches as they will happen.

·
日産自動車パ&#
553 Posts
Best year to buy = None.

To me, the car is the ugliest thing along with the prius that has ever been produced by toyota.

But thats just me, just letting my mouth do my minds talking. :hammer:

·
Registered
219 Posts
When i first saw an Echo it didnt do much for me either but then i got a deal i couldnt refuse and the little bugger kinda grew on me,now i have the Echo and a Yaris,,As i said reliable little econobox and not much more,dont waste money on mods or performance upgrades,as you might take off the lipstick;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very satisfied about mine. With the right tires and a light foot you get a Prius' MPG without worrying about replacing batteries in a few years. My main complain is the cheap plastic interior which occasionally rattles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats my only beef with the car as well

Very satisfied about mine. With the right tires and a light foot you get a Prius' MPG without worrying about replacing batteries in a few years. My main complain is the cheap plastic interior which occasionally rattles.
I'm getting plastic rattles with mine as well...Defiantely not something to do with the suspension... anyone know of any ways to silence that issue, or maybe figure out exactly what is rattling?

·
Registered
6 Posts
rattles

Had a 2001 2drs,173k's with no rattles,just got a 2005 Hb with 63k's but with an annoying rattle that comes from the doors lock knobs rattling in theirs holes.Thinking of finding a way to stop that, may go with tape or wedging a small piece of tie-wrap in between. Other than that I just love the thing.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
what about a Yaris or Accent?

I have a 2001 Echo

annoying things for me are:

thin window glass - window needs to be rolled up twice to stop a window buzz/rattle
seat noise in cold weather
weak a/c

·
Registered
17 Posts
You might consider a Scion xA. I bought a used 2005 an am loving it. VERY similar mechanically to the Echo - only slight differences. Biggest one is gearing - hence the Scion does not get as good mileage. But still very good.

These are fun and relatively easy to work on. I have done a ton of my own work and I am only a mediocre mechanic.

BTW, paint on my '05 xA is pretty weak, too. Plenty of chips I've had to touch up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When i first saw an Echo it didnt do much for me either but then i got a deal i couldnt refuse and the little bugger kinda grew on me,now i have the Echo and a Yaris,,As i said reliable little econobox and not much more,dont waste money on mods or performance upgrades,as you might take off the lipstick;)
you sound like a Miata guy

·
Registered
219 Posts
you sound like a Miata guy
:thumbsup::chug: Great little car but due to 2 daughters getting their drivers licenses i had to sell the little roadster last spring to get something more practical like a new Yaris sedan so i thought i'd let the girls drive the Echo and i'd drive the new Yaris turns out they drive the new car and i get the Echo:headbang:
Since this topic started a year ago i traded in my 01 Echo with 220k for an 05 with 100k,damn reliable little cars.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Id go with the 04 HB base model no options. You get ABS and manual steering and on a tight track it will hold its own quite well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Best year to buy = None.

To me, the car is the ugliest thing along with the prius that has ever been produced by toyota.

But thats just me, just letting my mouth do my minds talking. :hammer:
Maybe all true....But there is something about the phrase "Fifty Miles to the Gallon" that I like.

All years seem pretty good....lack of instrumentation was a dislike, then I bought a ScanGauge 2.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Maybe all true....But there is something about the phrase "Fifty Miles to the Gallon" that I like.

All years seem pretty good....lack of instrumentation was a dislike, then I bought a ScanGauge 2.
Yeah all the while still maintaining a very competitive power to weight ratio and performance. Mine ran down my friends brand new mazda 2 haha.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
26 Participants
auntifranny
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing