Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Full Throttle
6,774 Posts
I've always liked the pre-facelift 1999-2002 hatchbacks the best, as I reckon they look a lot better than the facelift models (2003-2005) that had the tear-drop headlights and revised bumpers. My Dad had a 2002 Echo T-Sport hatch (3-door) but ended up changing to a 2001 Vitz RS hatch (5-door) a year later.

Here's a photo of it:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I only wish you could by the hatch back in the US. I can hardly find used Echo sedans in the 2000 time frame.

·
srellim234
14 Posts
We had a 4 door 2003 sedan and absolutely loved the car except my wife insists on having cruise control, even though we have an '08 Prius for any long drive. So, we gave the Echo to our son and picked up an '07 Yaris sedan just for the cruise control that hardly ever gets used. Our son is up to 130k miles with only routine maintenance; the Yaris is at 115k and no problems there either.

She likes her Yaris. My son and I prefer the Echo. We're both over 6' , 200 lbs. and we're much more comfortable sitting in the Echo.

·
11,321 Posts
We had a 4 door 2003 sedan and absolutely loved the car except my wife insists on having cruise control, even though we have an '08 Prius for any long drive. So, we gave the Echo to our son and picked up an '07 Yaris sedan just for the cruise control that hardly ever gets used. Our son is up to 130k miles with only routine maintenance; the Yaris is at 115k and no problems there either.

She likes her Yaris. My son and I prefer the Echo. We're both over 6' , 200 lbs. and we're much more comfortable sitting in the Echo.
Cruise control can be added to the Echo

·
I Like Traffic Lights !!!
520 Posts
I had a red 04 Echo Hatchback and sold it with 400,000+ kilometers on it and I only replaced the normal stuff, i.e alternator, ball joints, tires, oil,
fluids etc but the Alternator and Ball joints only the one time, it was great little car that is still running around town no paint issues but I have seen
other 04 HB's with clear coat peel.

I just bought an 05 Echo HB and it does have some clear coat pealing on the roof but the rest of the car is still like new so I bought it, these are a great little cars
and I think you would be happy with either year.

I wonder if there were more 05 built that 04's?

·
520 Posts
Probably not. 04 and 05 were special order models, at least in the US.
I live in Canada and we just went to the local dealer to pick one up, my wife bought her 05 Echo right off the show room floor but there had to be 15 of them out on the Car Lot.

·
11,321 Posts
I live in Canada and we just went to the local dealer to pick one up, my wife bought her 05 Echo right off the show room floor but there had to be 15 of them out on the Car Lot.

Well, they were more popular in Canada than the US in their last years. in the US, xB easily outsold the 04 and 05, especially since an xB had standard what was optional on the ECHO. That the ECHO similarly equipped like the xB cost almost as much as the xB without the room of the xB did not help the ECHO'S cause.

·
520 Posts
asily

Well, they were more popular in Canada than the US in their last years. in the US, xB easily outsold the 04 and 05, especially since an xB had standard what was optional on the ECHO. That the ECHO similarly equipped like the xB cost almost as much as the xB without the room of the xB did not help the ECHO'S cause.
In 04/05 we couldn't get Scions, we did look for a good used XB but you paid the same price as a new Echo but no warranties or anything.
Scion came to Canada but a number of years later and now they are gone again. I was looking for a good early xb but they are still pricey up here
and my little 2door hatch fits my needs perfectly.

Kind of dumb the way the car makers do things sometimes, I think the Hatchback would have sold very well down south and the XB would have done well up here.

·
11,321 Posts
In 04/05 we couldn't get Scions, we did look for a good used XB but you paid the same price as a new Echo but no warranties or anything.
Scion came to Canada but a number of years later and now they are gone again. I was looking for a good early xb but they are still pricey up here
and my little 2door hatch fits my needs perfectly.

Kind of dumb the way the car makers do things sometimes, I think the Hatchback would have sold very well down south and the XB would have done well up here.

I know:smile: Scion came to Canada with the 2nd Gens. 1st Gens were exclusive to the US, before the NA expansion. No doubt xB1 would have done well in Canada, but ECHO hatch was still selling well. xB1 will probably still be pricey in Canada for the forseeable future.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I drove mine like a maniac today to get to my brothers job site and help him with blow in insulation. Filled the tank on the way home 44.4 MPG last tank driving normally and using AC constantly. Mine just hit 155k miles and with the 7 hole BMW mini rims and 195-60-15 Bridgestone Ecopias it eats the Interstate cloverleafs for lunch. I've owned 200+ cars and this one is a keeper. My granddaughter bought the last one I had and she loves it, had a 15 MPG Jeep that fell apart. Neither car uses any oil and her's has 200k miles.

Bought a parts car and will have replacements for every mechanical part since Toyota decided to not offer manual rack inside bushings in the US I had to get one from the United Arab Emirates. Now I have a complete replacement rack. Been a tech, both body, paint and mechanical all my life and this car will last me until I probably stop driving in my mid to lat 70's. I would not trade it for anything, not for sale. Read all the bad reviews like my 2015 Mirage, laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I searched ebay with the parts number that was no longer offered in the USA. It's been a while since I bought the part but I saved the plastic it came in so I had the part number and could search again if necessary. Now I have a complete manual rack and pinion from the parts car and it has no issues with the original bushing. I think the car had a bent rim and they kept driving it that way until the vibrations basically destroyed the bushing I had to replace. I'll try to get you a link to the Toyota parts catalog.

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com/auto-parts/2000/toyota/echo/base-trim/1-5l-l4-gas-engine/body-cat

I would think with the mileage reading on your odometer that the car should still be fine. It's about the same as my 157k miles right now. The depends on your driving environment and the previous owners following the recommended maintenance intervals. I did an oil change on my grandaughters car yesterday and it had used no oil in 6000 km (3500 miles) and was still clean at 203k miles (over 325k kilometers).

To me the Echo was the peak of quality and simplicity, a very rare combination in the US. Most people here don't like it and my wife sometimes complains about that 18 year old car and how we can afford better. I tell her "if that's the way you feel we can take your car". My granddaughter loves hers and finds that her friends don't want to take hers on trips since none of them can even drive a manual. It took me about 90 minutes to teach her. She could get another 10 years out of hers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Old Mechanic:

Thanks a million for your detailed response. Your response made me feel confident on the Echo. Like you, my kids will go bananas when I buy the Echo. It will cost me less than US$1,200 (the one mentioned above). Can get one with about 160,000 kms (100,000 miles) for US$1,600; latter looks better maintained
Does Echo reliability make any difference if the engines here are smaller; 1.3 liter 2NZ-FE?? I think you have the 1.4 and 1.5 engines. Does that affect reliability. I am not concerned about acceleration; I am a retired 70 yr old and drive slower than I used to.

Thanks and best again.
Hussein

·
11,321 Posts
I searched ebay with the parts number that was no longer offered in the USA. It's been a while since I bought the part but I saved the plastic it came in so I had the part number and could search again if necessary. Now I have a complete manual rack and pinion from the parts car and it has no issues with the original bushing. I think the car had a bent rim and they kept driving it that way until the vibrations basically destroyed the bushing I had to replace. I'll try to get you a link to the Toyota parts catalog.

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com/auto-parts/2000/toyota/echo/base-trim/1-5l-l4-gas-engine/body-cat

I would think with the mileage reading on your odometer that the car should still be fine. It's about the same as my 157k miles right now. The depends on your driving environment and the previous owners following the recommended maintenance intervals. I did an oil change on my grandaughters car yesterday and it had used no oil in 6000 km (3500 miles) and was still clean at 203k miles (over 325k kilometers).

To me the Echo was the peak of quality and simplicity, a very rare combination in the US. Most people here don't like it and my wife sometimes complains about that 18 year old car and how we can afford better. I tell her "if that's the way you feel we can take your car". My granddaughter loves hers and finds that her friends don't want to take hers on trips since none of them can even drive a manual. It took me about 90 minutes to teach her. She could get another 10 years out of hers.

So true. Coincidence (or not) that Toyota quality seemed to decline after the ECHO was discontinued

·
Registered
38 Posts
So true. Coincidence (or not) that Toyota quality seemed to decline after the ECHO was discontinued

That really IS true.

I've been disappointed in the newer cars and baffled by the style choices and quality over the past 5 years.

I was considering getting a new car but this thread inspired me to invest $1000 in my old echo and plan for another 50,000-100,000 miles on this beauty.

·
11,321 Posts
That really IS true.

I've been disappointed in the newer cars and baffled by the style choices and quality over the past 5 years.

I was considering getting a new car but this thread inspired me to invest $1000 in my old echo and plan for another 50,000-100,000 miles on this beauty.
Good for you. It is sad in the decline of quality, maybe the financial crisis may be part of the reason?

·
11,321 Posts
It seems others have found out how really good the ECHO is since it is getting harder to find a low mileage 1 owner especially in Green

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Mine is resting in the garage right now. I keep the battery charged and run it occasionally, drive the Mirage 7500 miles, then the Echo 7500 miles, about 6 months each or when the insurance renewal date comes up in mid March. Gas here is down to $1.88 last fill with my cost per mile below 4 cents for fuel. My pile of used parts just sits there waiting for a breakdown, so that almost guarantees it will not happen LMAO. The Mirage will stay under the powertrain warranty for 8-10 years and 100k miles that way, versus going off warranty in 6 years otherwise.

The old Echo even has the ancient design of metal window regulators, just about indestructible as long as you keep the guides and window channels fairly clean so they don't bind up and bend. No cables or plastic connectors or rollers to break. Even the interior door trim doesn't have any cardboard to rot. The only repair to the grandaughter's Echo was a pair of wire ties to keep the outside drivers door handle tight so it is flush when the door is closed, 30 minute repair, wire ties a few pennies each. I think 1200 miles a month for a total of $85 out the pocket for gas, insurance, tags and taxes is almost impossible to beat

I have noticed they are getting very hard to find in decent condition. I still have two gold doors and fenders. complete strut assemblies with the hubs, axles, complete, with boots uncracked. I can swap them out without even breaking the axle nuts loose.

·
11,321 Posts
Mine is resting in the garage right now. I keep the battery charged and run it occasionally, drive the Mirage 7500 miles, then the Echo 7500 miles, about 6 months each or when the insurance renewal date comes up in mid March. Gas here is down to $1.88 last fill with my cost per mile below 4 cents for fuel. My pile of used parts just sits there waiting for a breakdown, so that almost guarantees it will not happen LMAO. The Mirage will stay under the powertrain warranty for 8-10 years and 100k miles that way, versus going off warranty in 6 years otherwise.

The old Echo even has the ancient design of metal window regulators, just about indestructible as long as you keep the guides and window channels fairly clean so they don't bind up and bend. No cables or plastic connectors or rollers to break. Even the interior door trim doesn't have any cardboard to rot. The only repair to the grandaughter's Echo was a pair of wire ties to keep the outside drivers door handle tight so it is flush when the door is closed, 30 minute repair, wire ties a few pennies each. I think 1200 miles a month for a total of $85 out the pocket for gas, insurance, tags and taxes is almost impossible to beat

I have noticed they are getting very hard to find in decent condition. I still have two gold doors and fenders. complete strut assemblies with the hubs, axles, complete, with boots uncracked. I can swap them out without even breaking the axle nuts loose.
That's great that it is working out well for you.:smile:

You're so right they're getting hard to find in good condition . Most are either more than 1 owner, high mileage and/or has been in an accident.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
26 Participants
auntifranny
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing