Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
11 Magnetic Gray Dbl Cab
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tried the pro-clip initially and was very disapointed.

Then I landed on the pro-fit mount, with a pro-clip device mount.

The pro-fit legacy mount, is screwed to the side wall behind the vent controls and sticks out similarly like the proclip. The pro-clip nuvi mount then screws to the pro-fit vehicle mount.

Install is simple, took about 5 minutes. All you need is a sharpie, a drill, 5/64" drill bit, and a phillips screwdriver. Just pry out the vent controls, leave them hanging. Then put the mount in place and mark the mounting holes with the sharpie. Then drill the marked holes, and screw the mount in to place.

You may want to put your device mount onto the legacy mount before you install it. The really nice part, it's screwed into the dash, but even if you decide to remove it, the holes are hidden behind the vent controls.

My next task is to hard wire power to the nuvi unit, and hide the wires best I can.

Here's what it looks like put together.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
Thats nice, but since it is a GPS unit i would rather like to have it higher up so i dont have to look down.

·
11 Magnetic Gray Dbl Cab
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The unit verbalizes directions, so there's not much of a need to look at it.

It's only really a few inches below where a double din NAV would be.

J

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the mount that mounts my satellite radio in the exact spot. I need to find another spot to mount the GPS. I have thought about fabricating another peice out of sheet metal or something and attaching it to the existing radio mount. I have to see what I am going to do...any opinions? By the way, that location is perfect for any electronic device

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
That's a nice idea !!

I'm currently using the proclip mount myself.... and I like it. However - the vent control panel can be easily pulled out - as it doesn't snap in place that well. That's my only disappointment with it.

If I would've known about your setup/clip - I would've went with that instead.

Thanks for posting!

·
1st time Toyota Owner
141 Posts
I mounted mine in the upper left hand corner & it's perfect for me.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Think a mount like this would work "above" the radio, top left corner

Maybe have it pop above the dashboard to the right of the seam between the vent and the radio, so it would show up where the electrical box on the wall is? I was gonna put a ram mount there, but hiding the holes behind the radio would be much cooler than poking holes in the radio fascia itself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Billyman

How is your GPS mounted up at the top?

I just have the suction cup that came with my TomTom One - it works for me but if the car gets really cold it will unstick from the windshield...

then I just make my girlfriend to hold it right where I want it, who needs a mount anyways ;)

·
11 Magnetic Gray Dbl Cab
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And is the cord seriously running across the top of the headliner, and then sticking out going down over the dash, to the cigarette lighter? Hardwire that badboy!

·
Taco Salad!!
2007 Tacoma DC LB
552 Posts
c0astie31 mounted his above the mirror in the center....if he comes on maybe he will post a pic...looks great there!

·
11 Magnetic Gray Dbl Cab
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the vehicle mount is from pro-fit, it's a legend. Just call their 800 number, and the device mount can be found on the pro-clip site.

John

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like your inginuity! I ended up using Ram-Mounts for all of my GPS units on all of my vehicles (bikes, too!). The windshield suction mount is very strong, and puts my garmin right where I want it--about 1/4" above the dash:

The components are modular, so I can move my street and trail GPS' from bike to truck in seconds.

~T

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
what were some of the issues you've experienced w/ proclip mount on your tacoma?
I have a proclip on the tacoma and our vette.

It's a great mount. I've noticed that the dash part doesn't clip in as good now. you can easily pull it out on that side. So - I have to be careful. I've been too busy to look at it and see if I can fix it somehow.

·
1st time Toyota Owner
141 Posts
Billyman

How is your GPS mounted up at the top? I just have the suction cup that came with my TomTom One - it works for me but if the car gets really cold it will unstick from the windshield...
That's what I use, the suction cup mount, but mine hasn't ever fallen and it's been up for quite sometime. Maybe I'm just lucky.

And is the cord seriously running across the top of the headliner, and then sticking out going down over the dash, to the cigarette lighter? Hardwire that badboy!
I thought about hardwiring it, but I want to keep the unit portable. If I luck up on another power cord one day, I will hardwire it.

·
Never Roam Alone
06 Taco
1,065 Posts
i have mine suction cupmounted to the window on the drivers side right above the inspection sticker in the botton left. i think its perfect there. easy to hardwire if i need it, and the cig reaches across the steering wheel if i ever needed it too.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
I wrote an email to pro-clip today to try and return the angled mount. I said it's defective since it doesn't allow the HVAC controls to clip securely back into place.

We'll see what happens. If they give me an RMA number I likely buy the pro-fit instead. The location is actually great. You shouldn't be staring at your GPS while driving anyway. At that spot the GPS doesn't hinder your field of vision either.

·
11 Magnetic Gray Dbl Cab
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The heating/ac controls would easily pop out while driving.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts