Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i am going to put a amp in my gen 4 camry, just wondering where is the best route to go from the battery to the truck?? or any other good place to mount the amp???

i am thinkin about bring the power line from battery to around the center console, then go through the carpet, n under the read seat then to the trunk.........by doin this way, i can also bring the remote turn-on wire for the amp n the sub-woofer line to the back using the same route, but then it gonna need a big space for 3 thick wire going through.......

any suggestion would help
thx

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
The best way to run it is through your firewall, and then down the side of the car. There should be a plastic piece right where the door meet the car (when closed). You can pull this up. I will meet up with the B-pillar. You can pull the plastic out the whole way.

You'll have to remove the side pad in your backseat, but you can then run it into the trunk from there.

If you need more, I can get some pics. I did it for a blue neon I use to have on my rear deck.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do what SmokingTiresV6 said to do. I drilled a hole in my firewall, ran the wires down through the side paneling. I also ran 4gauge, rem wire, and 2 sets of rca cables through there with no problems. Good luck

Shuluke

·
Registered
361 Posts
I4 to V6 Swap said:
I would do the same, but pull the wire through the hole where the hood release it. It is cleaner, and no drilling is involved. The hole is already there. Plus it is insulated with the rubber grommet.
4gauge will definately not fit. :) I think it matters what size gauge you will be running for your car. You can also buy rubber grommets.

But if you can go through the hood release, it will be much less work.

Shuluke

·
Did somebody say "Nachos"
1992 Toyota Camry
550 Posts
I heard you should run the power down the driver's side and then run signal down the pass side. Less chance of interference with your sound signals from the power lines.

Someone like PHI really knows this stuff too :)

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
shuluke said:
4gauge will definately not fit. :) I think it matters what size gauge you will be running for your car. You can also buy rubber grommets.

But if you can go through the hood release, it will be much less work.

Shuluke
It will too fit!

I ran my 4 gauge through there along with some other wires. The rubber is like 2" in diameter. If you take off the wheel well cover you'll have easy access to it, then just poke a hole through the 2 layers of rubber with a coat hanger or something similair, tape the wire to the coat hanger, and push it through from the front. Go under the dash, pull it out a bit, untape it, and string it down the driver's side doorjamb as SmokingTiresV6 said. On the engine bay side of the rubber grommet, push the wire up through the hole into the engine bay that has the plastic grommet. It's about 1" around and has another wire running through it.

CamryKen, you're correct as far as running the power and signal lines seperate. The signal lines don't need to be on the passenger side, but they should be 18" or more away and if they cross it the power wire it should be at a right angle. If you run them side by side with poorly shielded wires, you'll have some nasty alternator whine.

I have my amps under my front seats, for a few reasons:
1) Shorter power wire runs, less voltage loss.
2) Shorter signal wire runs, less chance of interference.
3) It saves trunk space.
4) I didn't want to run signal, power, and speaker outs to the back for my component amp when the speakers are in the front. It just seems illogical.
I may soon be moving my sub amp to the back to make room for a computer though :D

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
run it down in back of the whole front console to the left where your pedals are...then you have to take all the carpeting and shit out all the way to the back seat...take the back seat out and you will find a nice little room to run the wires through....lay the wires down, connect to your head unit and battery...put all the stuff back together and...there you go...hidden wires

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
^
That would take hours! The way I suggested takes 5 min to do (minus the drilling of the firewall)

CamryKen said:
I heard you should run the power down the driver's side and then run signal down the pass side. Less chance of interference with your sound signals from the power lines.

Someone like PHI really knows this stuff too :)
That's just wasting time them. As long as you don't have cheap wires that are going to tear even with lack of movement, they shouldn't break open and touch.:)

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
options include;
-drill firewall
-driverside fender liner
-clutch pedal cover
-underneath car

The cleanest option is prolly to go through the fender lining. Run 4 guage wire along the door sill to the back of the car. There's plenty of room for a wires.

As for the running pwr and signal wires at a distance or 90 degrees isn't necessary but it'd be a bitch to get interference after you spend 3hrs laying down wires.

BTW-this topic has been discussed numerous times in the audio section
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=24701&highlight=run+power

·
WHAT???
341 Posts
supra06 said:
noob here but the wondering anyone got pics of there fender liner? i have no idea what that is, remember im a noob. and trying to install my amp wire too.

is there any other way i can route the amp wire, what is this i hear from routing it from the HU? can i route it from the outside by the hood, will this be any problem?

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Phi said:
options include;
-drill firewall
-driverside fender liner
-clutch pedal cover
-underneath car

The cleanest option is prolly to go through the fender lining. Run 4 guage wire along the door sill to the back of the car. There's plenty of room for a wires.

As for the running pwr and signal wires at a distance or 90 degrees isn't necessary but it'd be a bitch to get interference after you spend 3hrs laying down wires.

BTW-this topic has been discussed numerous times in the audio section
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=24701&highlight=run+power
*clears throat*

Thank you Phi, for pointing out how right I was:D In the seond post!

Once again I prove my endless amount of knowledge!

I can post some pics of the liner later today, if I wake up in time.

*Supra06, please do not double post. There is an edit button. Thank you:)

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
There definately is enough space from the grommet behind the fender liner for 4 guage... We ran 2 4 guage wires in my friends 94 v6 camry. Boy was that a bitch cause it's hard to get to the right whole cause the ebrake assembly and everything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.