Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that the exterior door handles commonly break on Gen 4 Camry's, as shown by ads with mismatching colors on body and door handles.

I also had an electric door switch go bad on my 2000 Camry LE with 181k miles.

An Ebay replacement switch failed after a couple of weeks (I got a full refund).

I found a new replacement door handle with a lifetime warranty that has held up (so far).

I also broke an internal door handle, but was able to repair it with Loctite.

What is/are the best source(s) for reliable door handles (exterior and interior) and switches?

Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm a pick and pull fan. For the exterior handles you can grab any color and repaint with a spray can. I also take a good one and put a layer of JB Weld under the lip to reinforce the flap at the crown. Prior to painting of course.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Ajkalian, if I may borrow one of your images. Just reinforce the area where where it says epoxy and the arrows point.

1595966723004.png

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'm disoriented with that photo. Is it driver or passenger side? Upside down or right side up? Are the three arrows and writing (to the right) over the handle?

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,141 Posts
"I'm disoriented with that photo. Is it driver or passenger side? Upside down or right side up? Are the three arrows and writing (to the right) over the handle?"

don't worry, just lift up one of the handles on your car (any of the 4) and look up into the grip from below, it will become very clear

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,020 Posts
Seems like the handles snap off on cars that are exposed in the sun a lot.

I've gotten black unpainted handles from amazon that does the trick for the outside. Inside i've used amazon for color match ones. They usually fit okay, but sometimes you may need to do some trimming on the handles to either make it fit or for it to open/close correctly.
ext Junkyard handles are probably the best if you can find them from a garage kept car if you want the best paint patch as pre-painted handles I've heard the paint job is hit and miss.

Reactions: John Gi

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other thread for Gen 4 Camrys said that Lexus ES300 outer door handles fit on Gen 3. Is that true for Gen 4? If so, what year outer door handles from Lexus and which Lexus models and model years fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
950 Posts
Cheap aftermarket one of eBay delivered painted to match (had to send seller the paint color code). Seems better quality than the original.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Is there an aftermarket brand you'd recommend?

Also, I read the other thread about using a right angle piece of metal. Last night, I went to Home Depot and asked for help finding the right angles. I only found 1" thick ones, not 4" thick. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
How hard are people pulling on these door handles lol. I never understood how people always break them. I bet I have he the most faded and sun beaten to death Camry on here and I've yet to break the handles in the last 10+ years I have owned it.

·
short-throw dipstick
6,213 Posts
It's that they get brittle after all the UV exposure. Ones on my '00 are original and good, but when I bought my '99 the driver door split within a week, and snapped off completely a few days after that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts