Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
Toyota 2ZZ-GE
Designed by Yamaha, this steetbike-inspired high revver featured Toyota’s VVTL-i technology similar to Honda’s i-VTEC system. At 180hp, it also offered 100hp per liter and was also used by Lotus to power their Elise and Exige. The only gripe we have about this motor was its late entrance into the market. By the time this engine started gaining popularity, Honda had already introduced its K-series motor with the release of the RSX Type-S. Still, we love the crazy top end of this motor. This engine is pure nirvana after the needle climbs past 6000.

2ZZ-GE :loove: .... definately NIRVANA !!!! :D I have had the chance to take it to limits a few times. On High RPMS, it was a lot of fun.

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
Too bad its only motors sold in America. Most of Toyota's good compact motors are in Japan. Such as BEAMS 3SGE and 20V 4AGE...

What about the turbo Dodges from the 90s. They put out incredible power for the time they were built. They might not be the most reliable things out there though.

http://allpar.com/mopar/22t.html

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
Sorry, but the 2ZZ is kind of weak. It takes well to boost but aftermarket support is limited and expensive. True, it's a high reving beast, but it only makes 130 ft/lbs of tq at 6000 rpm. The low end grunt is more of a wimper and you really have to rev the snot out of it to have fun. With turbo, 350 hp isn't out of the question but it will cost you.

And "pure nirvana" after 6000 rpms? You only have 2200 to go before redline (rev limiter) and you get there pretty quick.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
^ and that's coming from an XRS owner, lol.

Me... As a (gutless and worthless) D15 owner, I'd put my money on the Honda B series motors. ;)

4G63 (in terms of pure power) and 3S-GTE ftw as well.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
best N/A motor Toyota ever produce for mass consumption is Atlezza's Dual VVT-IL Beams motor.... hands down...

wantin150 said:
Sorry, but the 2ZZ is kind of weak. It takes well to boost but aftermarket support is limited and expensive. True, it's a high reving beast, but it only makes 130 ft/lbs of tq at 6000 rpm. The low end grunt is more of a wimper and you really have to rev the snot out of it to have fun. With turbo, 350 hp isn't out of the question but it will cost you.

And "pure nirvana" after 6000 rpms? You only have 2200 to go before redline (rev limiter) and you get there pretty quick.
man... I'm currently working on a 2zz swap and theres alot of aftermarket support for this motor. But, people that say that havent really looked in the big picture. They've only looked locally not globally...

I've done my research and I've found enough support to handle my 210whp N/A goal

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
OT: Doesnt the 2ZZ have a aftermarket chip where you can lower the rpm in which lift is enguaged? I remember you could get as low as 5400rpm, but that was awhile ago. If you could do that and strenghten the valvetrain so you could rev higher, would be an awesome combination....

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
TTercel said:
OT: Doesnt the 2ZZ have a aftermarket chip where you can lower the rpm in which lift is enguaged? I remember you could get as low as 5400rpm, but that was awhile ago. If you could do that and strenghten the valvetrain so you could rev higher, would be an awesome combination....

theres is one that you have to make to trick the computer (by voltage ) to trip the Lift at a certain rpm... Or do what I'm doing Power FC ...

As for valve train supertech offers better and stronger valves. While Eibach offers dual valve springs. Then you Piper cams or Ragnarok or Cat Cams for the lotus that we can use...

my goal for tuning is have the lift point at 5500rpms and raise redline to 9000rpm... Theres ITB's for the 2zz from Dan's Toys and I'm getting that setup for response...

·
I don't sugarcoat!!
1995 Camry LE Coupe
393 Posts
The H22a from the Prelude is nice when swapped into a Civic Hatch.

TTercel, that Mopar Turbo III was crazy. I knew a guy back in the day who had a 1991 Spirit R/T modded up close to 300 hp. (I think he just cranked up the boost..not sure) He'd like to surprise Mustangs and Corvettes with his little 4 door. But he blew head gaskets like every 6 months. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Toys
412 Posts
They forgot to mention how often the 4g63 goes threw timing belts and likes to crank walk from 95-99. Also, to the guy who said the 2zz is weak, wtf, a honduh b series engine has the same characteristics. Honestly, a 2zz pulls stronger when not in lift than b series swapped hatches ive driven when they're not in vtec.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
TTercel said:
Yes, Hydra makes a stand alone management system that tunes 2ZZ lift from 5500 - 8700 rpm, which is being used for the XRS video below. Celica GTS mostly use Apexi PFC to lower lift to 5700 rpm or so. You don't need to change engine internals since they are already capable of handling 8600 - 8700 rpm without any problems.

2ZZ Corolla XRS with 5500 - 8700 rpm lift:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/cf17c938-3684-4900-94a3-98630172cf8d.htm

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
but if your talking about race motors there sooo much more shit toyota have that are just sick...

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
^ Hey I don't think this thread is going much further so would you like to explain ? :lol:

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
TTercel said:
^ Hey I don't think this thread is going much further so would you like to explain ? :lol:
if we are talking about race motors theres 503E, 3M, 152E, and 3K

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
These guys lists blow. buncha rice boys with a website. And what hyundai had a 4G63? thats total BS. he took crap from the other tread he started, read it wrong, and put it into a new blog. Hyundai stopped using mitsu's shitty motors in like 92, before then they used an engine based on the 4G63, but it wasnt even fuel injected, and Im pretty sure it was SOHC.

you know who used the 4G63? GEO!

And the 1.8T wasnt anything special till 2003, before then it was the budget motor in the GTi, VR6 was the top engine for VW in the mk4 GTi before then. The AWD version was in the R32, now that was an engine, but it was WAY past the 90's

AND another thing - 3SGTE hard to find??

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Kevs Toy said:
They forgot to mention how often the 4g63 goes threw timing belts and likes to crank walk from 95-99. Also, to the guy who said the 2zz is weak, wtf, a honduh b series engine has the same characteristics. Honestly, a 2zz pulls stronger when not in lift than b series swapped hatches ive driven when they're not in vtec.

They mentioned the crankwalk issue. Stop trying to bring down the engine! That motor should be at the top of the list if you ask me. Sheps Talon is 7 seconds. And its getting faster ever year.

Edit: Wait, I realized it already is at the top of the list. For its class.

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
The reason I could possibly see the 4G63 being unreliable is well...everyone beats one them. You floor it everywhere, take hard turns etc. Hell even I would do it.:lol: They take a beating. Every motor has some sort of issue, theres no such thing as a perfect motor. Some motors take the abuse better than others...Just beause something breaks often doesn't mean it's a bad motor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts