Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions.

Hardest bang for the buck, while still retaining SQ, with one or two subwoofers, to fit into the space behind the seats of an 1991 MR2.

What do you guys think I should go with?

JL 10/12/W something?

Kicker Solobaric?

What subwoofer/box combination do you guys reccomend?

I need suggestions, I think I will be using a sealed box so that the bass remains 'tight.' Might go with a ported box however.

I have $300 to spend on a sub(s) and a box(es).

Thanks in advance for your input and advice!

Brandon :)

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Hey Drew, the JLW7 12" is no way near $300. I would say maybe a JLW3V2, but you'll have to search on ebay for some good deals. Or you can even go with autobahn. But before the subs can be decided, what amp are you running? Need to know how many watts its putting out.

·
TRD Guy
588 Posts
yea amp does tell u what subs u can run on it

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rockford Fosgate Punch 501-S

It's 2 Way, 1500 Watt Max Amp.

I was thinking something like the JL 12.W7 also, but I don't think that I can afford one! :(

·
Rice Eater!
177 Posts
I've been doing some research on some new subs and Soundstreams new line of subs are supposed to be really good. I hear they have great SQ and potentially could become SPL subs. Look into the Sound Stream EG-12x. It is their lowest model in their line but I hear its supposed to be pretty good. They are also cheap around 80-100 bucks shipped for 1 12 on ebay. Another sub I've been looking at is the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D. I've read some reviews and I hear they are supposed to be "perfect". I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet but I want one badly after hearing all the reviews. But one thing that you have to be careful with the Infinity is that it blows quite easily because the voice coils will burn if pushed too hard too quickly.

·
Registered
392 Posts
For the best bang for the buck I say audiobahn. Sensative with a clean bass. Gets low frequency easily. Responsive doesn't take a lot to get it to pump.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
W7 is well above 300, I have a Brahma 12 MKII, which can go into a .9 net sealed box, excellent for those small cars, you can have it for 325.00 shipped. It is very close to a W7. Otherwise you will have to drop down to a W3, W6 or IDQ12

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
eddiem67 said:
W7 is well above 300, I have a Brahma 12 MKII, which can go into a .9 net sealed box, excellent for those small cars, you can have it for 300.00 shipped. It is very close to a W7. Otherwise you will have to drop down to a W3, W6 or IDQ12
Brahma huh? Yours is in a sealed box I assume? How hard does it hit? Where can I get one of these Brahma Subwoofers? I looked on eBay with no success. :confused:

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
I had it in a ported actually, still have both, I could bounce quarters off the roof about 2"s high! Great SQ SPL sub

·
Breakin' necks since '02!
2,330 Posts
Alpine R12's are nice. I have 1 12" with shitty Alpine interior speakers and this sub makes up for it. Just wish I had about 3 more of em.

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy shit! 2 inches! Thats what I call 'hitting hard!' Damn!

I was looking at the ID Max Subwoofers, and the magnets look HUGE! I don't know if I can fit that behind my seats! :confused: :mad:

Also, where can I find one of these Brahma Subwoofers that you are talking about?

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
I am actually selling it, its in my garage, I am running an ID Max now, and now I am thinking of selling it as well, maybe I'll try a W7...anyway, you will have problems with the ID Max, 1, the depth is longer than other subs and 2. you need a larger enclosure for it, sealed requires 1.5 net, almost twice the size of what is required from a Brahma. If you go the the Adire website, they have videos of this thing moving!

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
JL's are all like 700+ USD.

2wickedtoys was telling me about some brand called Treo or something like that. He said it made his heart skip a few beats. And his friend said that it hits the highs and lows better than JL.

And they are quite cheap, i think he said around 150 a 12' sub.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Treo's are not SQ subs

·
JL Fanatik
42 Posts
Umm, definately go for a JL w6v2. Best bang for ur buck and i think you can get them off ebay new for 250ish range (12 in), but if you want the warranty and all, talk to me, there is a JL dealer around the corner from me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
eddiem67 said:
I had it in a ported actually, still have both, I could bounce quarters off the roof about 2"s high! Great SQ SPL sub
Really wow really impressive!! Just curios though whats the rms power on those and what amp where you using. Sounds like some real power.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
RMS rating is 1600 watts, I was pushing 1000 watts with an Arc Audio 2500CXL, you can run just 600 watts and it would still pound. I set the spike on my eq at around 44Hz to make quarter jump, that was just for show. Other my eq setting was flat as possible.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts