Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Michelin Primacy MXV4 (not MXM4) or Michelin Premier A/S.

Bridgestone Turanza touring tires are also supposed to be good, but I have no personal experience with them.

Most reputable tire shops (like Discount Tire and Costco Tire) will usually offer good advice, because they offer free exchanges if you are not satisfied (within a reasonable amount of time).

For smoothest and quietest ride, avoid anything that says or implies "energy saver."

·
Registered
334 Posts
Michelin Primacy MXV4 "93V" series is listed as "OE" for my 2016 SE.
I have 2 of the original ones still on the vehicle at just over 60K miles.
The other 2 were replaced before I got the car.
I like these tires AND they are "Green X" which is Michelin's low rolling resistance designation.
At this point, I am looking at this same tire when I need replacements.

Not to be confused with their more expensive "Energy Saver A/S" tire, which I have no experience with.

I got a set of Michelin "X Ice XI3" on their own rims for winter, so I cannot comment on the MXV4 performance in snow.
While mine still have tread that is "OK", I don't know that I would trust them in winter.....as I would want near new tread level for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
pirelli p7 cinturato are my favorite tire so far on my 2012 Camry. First set went 75k. These tires are very smooth and great in rain/dry.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,454 Posts
Michelin Primacy MXV4 (not MXM4) or Michelin Premier A/S.
Both tires will get noticeably noisier after 7-8-10K miles after te quiet layer of rubber wears out and both tires have very average wet and even dry traction. Also both tires are known for premature wear, unless you go very easy on them or drive mostly on HWY.
Pirelly Cinturato P7 Plus and Cinturato Strada is by far the best all season tires on the market.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would like advise on which tires would provide the quietest ride on my 2017 Camry.
I was checking out the tires on my 2017 SE to see if I should have got the XLE to cope with Wisconsin's Ethiopia standard roads. They are 17 inch with a 55 ratio...My wife's 2008 LE has 16 inch tires with 60 ratio (so fatter /softer)...... I looked up the 2017 XLE and that has the same tires as my SE.... Now ok the 2017 XLE and SE have the same tires, but the SE has stiffer suspension so more boom boom.......When they wear out I will replace them with at least 60 aspect ratio.....

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,454 Posts
The 60 aspect tires would fit only if you go with narrower tires, like 205, but that would lower the traction and cornering stability. The tallest you can go is 225/55/17. 235/55/17 is too tall and will be rubbing rear strut plates and most likely the front wheel well shields when you turn your wheels.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The 60 aspect tires would fit only if you go with narrower tires, like 205, but that would lower the traction and cornering stability. The tallest you can go is 225/55/17. 235/55/17 is too tall and will be rubbing rear strut plates and most likely the front wheel well shields when you turn your wheels.
Excellent info and not given on tire-rack...I will save it for when the time comes... There are no bends in Wisconsin, so cornering only applies to these lovely roundabouts that keep popping up... That's why I sold my Ninja 1000 ABS this year.. The last car I had with tall narrow tires was my two Austin Devons (1947)...They were lethal on a wet descending road and I used to buy straight across caravan tires for them... Cable brakes !

·
6,178 Posts
OP, as a principle, you want to look at touring tires. Those are specifically designed for comfortable quiet ride. What you choose in that type of tires, is your call. People always praise what they bought, as they have vested interest in their purchase. This is why I do not recommend a specific tire, as I have no idea about your roads quality, driving style, weather conditions, etc. What suits Peter may be disaster for Mary.
Hence, I recommend only one thing - touring tires.

·
Registered
353 Posts
OP, as a principle, you want to look at touring tires. Those are specifically designed for comfortable quiet ride. What you choose in that type of tires, is your call. People always praise what they bought, as they have vested interest in their purchase. This is why I do not recommend a specific tire, as I have no idea about your roads quality, driving style, weather conditions, etc. What suits Peter may be disaster for Mary.
Hence, I recommend only one thing - touring tires.
ok and point taken... Wisconsin has awful rutted potholed concrete roads that are straight grid-pattern and infested by huge herds of police... (property taxes for a 5 bed 1.8 acre mansion are under 5k)... The roads are concrete because tarmac can't take minus 30 degrees F winter, to +90F in summer... I should have bought the XLE not the SE if I wanted a nice ride..even though the tires are the same ratio.... the 2018 LE had a great soft ride that was very sporty too, but that's all I liked about it so it had to go....

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Both tires will get noticeably noisier after 7-8-10K miles after te quiet layer of rubber wears out and both tires have very average wet and even dry traction. Also both tires are known for premature wear, unless you go very easy on them or drive mostly on HWY.
Having owned both tires, that is 100% contrary to my experience. It is also contrary to what most other reviewers have said about them (except those work for competing tire companies).

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,454 Posts
Having owned both tires, that is 100% contrary to my experience. It is also contrary to what most other reviewers have said about them (except those work for competing tire companies).
Don't care about reviews much, my personal experience is wa-a-a-a-a-ay more informative. Reviews are done on brand new or slightly "shaved" tired, nobody reviews 10K+ old tires. And Michelin instantly approves premature wear claims on both of these models instantly.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Don't care about reviews much, my personal experience is wa-a-a-a-a-ay more informative. Reviews are done on brand new or slightly "shaved" tired, nobody reviews 10K+ old tires. And Michelin instantly approves premature wear claims on both of these models instantly.
My assessment of the Michelin Primacy is based on about 47K miles (with lots of tread left), and it still performs very nicely, much more so than other tires I have owned.

Here is a review of the Michelin Premier A/S, which discusses the Michelin "EverGrip technology, which is the new tread design that allows the tire to maintain its high level of traction throughout its entire life":

It is true that some reviews only test new tires, but there are some who do test them longer to determine tread life and other factors as the tire ages. Consumer Reports is one such testing agency that does that.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,454 Posts
I put 27K on my first set of the Primacy MXV4 - replaced under premature wear warranty, 21K on the the second set of the Primacy MXV4 - replaced under premature wear warranty and 12K on the Defender T+H. My sister had a set of the Premiers - replaced due to premature wear and noise. At around 5-4/32 both these tires became "plasticish" on wet pavement with very poor traction. When I was replacing my Primacy, I was strongly advised by DT managers to stay away from the Premiers due to very high return/exchange/warranty rate.

The Pirelli P7+ tires with wheels were mover from one Camry to another and combined have about 55K miles on them by now. The P7+ are pretty expensive as well, but they last much longer, quieter and still provide better traction than the Primacy past 10-12K.
I went through many different tires and despite what CR says, imo newer Michelins are the most overrated and pretty overpriced tires on the market.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts