Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Camry
495 Posts
For what it's worth, I have Bridgestone Ecopias on one of my 2001 Camrys and Michelin Defenders (previously Michelin Premiers) on the other. I liked the Premiers and they had superb snow handling, but they wore out very quickly, which is why I went with Defenders this time around. The Ecopias are wearing very evenly and are wearing slowly, but I don't like their snow/rain traction and I think they're louder than either of the Michelins.

·
Account canceled
429 Posts
Here are some very general points:

1. Tires that are quiet and smooth aren't the best for handling, and vice-versa.
2. Tires that are narrow and have a tall sidewall have a quieter/smoother ride.
3. Tires with a lower speed rating have a quieter/smoother ride than those with a higher speed rating.
4. Tires with a low tread-ware rating (UTQG) have a quieter/smoother ride. This is probably the one category where what's good for smooth and quiet is also good for handling. Technical aside: tread formulations with low modulus tend to have high loss factor, and high loss factor means a quieter ride and usually higher static/kinetic mu. They also wear out faster, so no free lunch.

Trying to disentangle all these factors from the matter of the tire manufacturer hasn't been consistently helpful to me. I've had good and bad experiences with most manufacturers where I tried more than one of their tire models. Once I narrow-down options based on the four factors I listed above, my next step is usually to speak with one of the sales reps at the Tire Rack for further guidance. I've usually found their advice to be reliable over the years.

HTH,
Mark

·
Registered
'15 Camry XSE
57 Posts
My Camry is quiet as a mouse compared to pervious 2012 Civic, it noisy as it the windows were down all the time!

Anyway, Discount Tire has best prices and service, IMO.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts