Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well after owning a 95 Toyota truck for 2 yrs now and was quick to modify it, i did alot of research and came up with this,
3vz-e = crap
5vz-fe = to much money
1uzfe = good but you gotta get the vvti = a bit expensive for the power
7mgte= dam what a bang for the buck for $3000 i can get about 470 hp and 25+ mpg
this is all based on spending $3000 on any of those engine considering you currently have a 3vz-e

now after all that anyone know why didnt toyota put the 1uzfe or 7mgte in the trucks?

i was told by a Chevy guy that a 350 SBC in a truck is different than a car because it has more bottom power for pulling and so on .................so would this be true for the 1uzfe or the 7mgte ?

and how much would you ponder i can pull? i say over 8,000+ with a stock 7M or 1uz

and how would you compare the new tundra engine 5.7L 381hp/401 Tq to the 1uz-fe vvti to 7mgte for a truck

any comments?

·
Registered
13 Posts
rotarex said:
ok well after owning a 95 Toyota truck for 2 yrs now and was quick to modify it, i did alot of research and came up with this,
3vz-e = crap
5vz-fe = to much money
1uzfe = good but you gotta get the vvti = a bit expensive for the power
7mgte= dam what a bang for the buck for $3000 i can get about 470 hp and 25+ mpg
this is all based on spending $3000 on any of those engine considering you currently have a 3vz-e

now after all that anyone know why didnt toyota put the 1uzfe or 7mgte in the trucks?

i was told by a Chevy guy that a 350 SBC in a truck is different than a car because it has more bottom power for pulling and so on .................so would this be true for the 1uzfe or the 7mgte ?

and how much would you ponder i can pull? i say over 8,000+ with a stock 7M or 1uz

and how would you compare the new tundra engine 5.7L 381hp/401 Tq to the 1uz-fe vvti to 7mgte for a truck

any comments?

three engines that are built proof are the 22r 22re or the 2.7 tacoma engine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
"three engines that are built proof are the 22r 22re or the 2.7 tacoma engine."

AMEN to that........

·
Registered
88 toyota p-up
721 Posts
22re

·
Registered
01 & 04 S-Runners
567 Posts
rotarex said:
That's pretty straightforward ...

The 1UZ was excessive (size / power / production cost) for the intended light / compact truck product line. Toyota has always resisted the notion of an 8-cylinder engine in their small trucks.

The 7M, like all Toyota inline six's, is problematically long for fitment in the compact truck engine bay. It can be (and has been ...) done, but modifications were required. To design a compact truck engine bay long enough to easily accommodate an inline 6 would have meant lengthening it to where the 4-cylinder would have been surrounded by empty space. The more compact VZ-series 6 was a better match in terms of fitting the same engine bay as an RZ-series 4.

·
Registered
01 & 04 S-Runners
567 Posts
As to the most 'bulletproof' engines ...

For ordinary use: The 22R and 22R-E are as legendary for reliability / durability as any engine ever offered by anyone. Both the 2RZ and 3RZ are probably on their way to the same legendary status. The 5VZ shows signs of becoming the first Toyota light truck 6-cylinder to earn the same regard.

For boosted applications: RZ or 5VZ. Both engines are overdesigned in terms of block / etc. strength and have been proven to handle substantial boost increases.

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
▲I think he's referring to truck engines.

"Best Toyota engine" is pretty subjective. The guy who has had a few 22R's will think they are the best, while the salesman with a 2RZ Taco will say it's the best. There are a lot of good Toyota engines!
I've owned 22R's and 22RE's, 5MGE's, 20R's, 3TC's, 3VZE's, and they have all been great.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
Another node to the 22r. I had an 82 4x4 that I bought in 86 with 50,000 miles. Ten years later and 200,000 miles, motor was still strong. I was running 35's on the truck for the last 5 of those years. I stopped changing the oil at that some point and just added a quart every other month. Still can't believe the motor ran.
Now if only they coud figure out a way to make the trans as strong.

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
i would say that mostly any toyota engine is amazing compared to any other manufacturer on the market. in the realm of toyota, the 20r, 22r, 22re are definitly unbeatable. they have been tested and tried over and over again and rarely fail.

Cam

·
Speed and Violence
2007 Tacoma DC 4x4
149 Posts
I have a 20R with around 600,000km on it....

...only around 90 - 95hp though.

·
itz a what thing?
175 Posts
I've got the 5v with 523,000km,Oil is clean as can be,compression tested spot on original specs.

·
Banned
747 Posts
8RC was the most bullet proof engine Toyota ever built.
18R was nearly as good.

·
Mini truckerrr
99 Toyota Tacoma SR5
346 Posts
Hey dont forget the 2RZ. I love mine.

·
Performance Downgrade
86 Toyota 4x4 pickup
228 Posts
22rte

22RTE...why stop at the RE!!

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
It may have been good, but not good enough to keep in production.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts