Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a newbie to the toyota nation, so let me say hello.
I wanted to know what some fellow Camry owners thought were the best performance upgrades for the gen 4 (2.2/auto)
I know of Intakes from Injen and Weapon R, and have seen quite a few bodykits, also plan on getting some wheels this summer and was thinking 17's.
But, I want to know what else is out there that WORKS, and is cost effective (have a limited budget) suspension, brakes, electronics, etc. or anything that adds hp.

·
Registered
1990 celica All-Trac
161 Posts
try new exhaust setup, with high preformance cat, or just without it. if you get it done locally the cost shouldn't be too bad, just shop around for a bit. don't forget your normal tuneup, and if you're feeling adventurous look into a new ignition system.

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
exhaust won't help too much on the stock internals. you'd need to do some buildup work like wraith's turbo cam for it to be any major help.

·
Registered
1990 celica All-Trac
161 Posts
you'll get preformance, yes. but is it cost effective? well, i don't think so. you'd have to swap engines or heads first, then build up, and then start forced induction. might be cheaper to just buy an mr2, not that i don't love my camry though...

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
EggBeater59 said:
try new exhaust setup, with high preformance cat, or just without it. if you get it done locally the cost shouldn't be too bad, just shop around for a bit. don't forget your normal tuneup, and if you're feeling adventurous look into a new ignition system.
what would a new ignition do for performance?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really dont want exhaust at this point, and when/if I do I want it subtle (not too loud or big)
I was thinking of a CDI type ignition, such as MSD.
Does anyone know of a kit specific for a camry? I mean rather than a universal kit, like some type of piggyback system or something that is "plug and play"?
I dont want to start splicing and dicing my wiring sysem to try and hook one up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ignition does not make more power. It prevents you from losing power. In other words msd ignition on a stock motor will not make more power (it may make the car run alil better). Changing ignition on a built motor will replace power that you are losing from running your stock ignition.

Your best bet would be to start out intake, headers, or exhaust. Those are the best mods to start out with.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
cheeba said:
what is a better first mod, headers or a flywheel swap?
FLywheel swap, I heard people getting new headers and experiencing no gains. Im pretty sure you will immediatly feel something with a new flywheel though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A flywheel swap is going to be a lot more time consuming than headers would be. To change the flywheel the tranny must be removed from the engine. I would think the parts will cost about the same but dont quote me on that. Headers is a fairly simple mod to install and takes 1/2 the time. Your best bet would to be to start out with an intake because its easy to install and cheap. It will also probably yeild you the same gains as headers will on a stock motor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would definetly like to do a brake/suspension upgrade, from what I have seen here it seems that the rear sway bar is the best first mod for handling (besides drop coils)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts