Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was cleaning my rims today and when I got to my Right rear rim I discover that it was caked with this black crap and I can't get it off of my Polished lip and parts of the rest of the rim:mad: How the hell do I get this crap off?

I use Eagle one Never-Dull metal polish and it works great to get the rims really clean and shiny but it isn't working to get the crap off of my rim:mad:

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
I use greased lightning, Need to be careful around the polished part of the rims though. What ever you decide to use, It's going to need some scrubbing! My dad prefers to use dish soap, cakes it on there and scrubs! I've had faster success w/ gl but it does cost a little more.

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Hatch said:
do you have disk breaks? could it be caked on break dust? have you tried solvents?
definitely watch the polished part if you use solvents! take that shine right off. Done that before.:thumbdown

·
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hatch said:
do you have disk breaks? could it be caked on break dust? have you tried solvents?
Yes, I have disks all around but this isn't brake dust, I will take a pic of the rim so I can show you guys what I'm talking about.

·
TN Ass Man
95 Camry SE 2-door
1,179 Posts
i have used mothers tire cleaner, just a degreaser, to clean my rims before and it works great but my rims might be different from yours.

·
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the pics, it's the black spots:

In the third pic there's like a few black stains on the rim itself that I can't get out either:mad:

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Oh...
On that crap I use a polish/cleaner called Never Dull, sold in Walmart. Takes a little elbow grease. But, It'll go away with that stuff.

·
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trebor_9513 said:
Oh...
On that crap I use a polish/cleaner called Never Dull, sold in Walmart. Takes a little elbow grease. But, It'll go away with that stuff.
That's what I use and it's not coming off:(

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
dude it took me 5 mins to get off the dots on my rim. but the next one took and hour. rub, rub, rub!

·
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I have to go to work soon(I work weird hours) so I'll wake up early tomorrow and try and get that crap off

Thanks everyone:)

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Search a bit smoking tires did a write up about how to clean the brake dust. I dunno if that applies to you also though...

·
TN's Resident Goddess.
2007 Camry SE
6,090 Posts
Also a dab of baking soda may work...I use that-but it is an abrasive so you do need to be careful. Try that with Simple green which is strong...just don't dilute it! :D

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Both PS21 Gel and Sonax R2000 cleaner will clean wheels by spraying on, waiting 1-5 min and spraying off. If your wheels have *never* been cleaned properly before, you might want to do a very light burhsing with something like an OXO brush. Brushing is only needed in the worst cases. A water jet alone will clean any wheel that isn't horribly caked with brake dust. The Sonax is slightly better, but hard to find in the US even on the internet. (no US importers left)

PS21, and PS21 Gel are easier to find, work 300% better than anything else you'll find, and go great with some Autoglym tyre dressing.
Spray it on every wheel, walk around the car spraying it off and the wheels are clean. Nothing is easier.

An 11hp pressure washer works well also!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
get all purpose cleaner from home depo from driveways it cleaned my moms rims like new

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,071 Posts
Here is a wheel laquer friendly spot remover ->Turpentine on a piece of cloth.

It works well with tree sap and tar. The stuff on your wheels may be like tar... I am guessing that it is disc brake grease/antisqueal that came out.

·
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question though, is any of this stuff that you guys suggested to me save for my polished lip?

Oh and those black dots are not brake dust, it's like a tar substance

1 - 20 of 21 Posts