Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dash in my sr5 is really messed upi have cracks on both left and right side near the a/c vents, and 2 major cracks down the middle of the dash, anyone know of a good way to fix it up?

i read on a place online that i should:
1) Sand off ALL the texture bumps...
2) Blow dust off, then clean with VINYL THINNERS three times...
3) Apply filler, and Shape with RASP, WITHOUT FLEXING THE PATCH
4) Apply filler to the underside of the patch...
5) Sand without flexing the patch...
6) Seal the underside of the patch with paint...
7) Brush paint the dash...

what do u guys think?

ill get a pic of my dash on here soon

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
1) get in car... drive to junkyard
2) get tools out, pull good dash from junkyard car
3) drive home with new dash
4) install new dash

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fiberglass your dash..That would look alot better

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i went to another junk yard, found a dashboard from a gts, looks the same except the color is off and theres already a crack in it but its a lot smaller than mine

heres a pic of my crack

on the dashboard silly.. not that

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Make a fiberglass mold of your dash and make it out of CF of Fiberglass, that would be hot :D

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
woah there.. don't be posting pics of your crack. :lol:

I would get my phone book out first and look for other scrapyards nearby.. come on man! you live in Cali.. I'm sure there's a few SR5's by now that must have failed cali emissions and got thrown into junkyards. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i cant tell, is flashman serious about making the filberglass dash or is he yanking my dong?

at that junk yard the guy was asking $50 for the dash that was cracked

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
he's serious... make your own..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cann't believe no one has suggested recovering with vinyl. I redid a custom van's dash with a simulated leather that looked fantastic. Cover the cracks with duct tape, then use a outdoor carpet adhesive as it will with stand the heat and moisture. Carefully apply the viynl rolling the edges underneath to hide and secure them using contact cement. Will look awesome and fairly inexpensive.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
i cant tell, is flashman serious about making the filberglass dash or is he yanking my dong?
Serious as a heart attack, and no I dont go pulling guys dongs, not my type of activity :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my dash has a lot of curvature and i was curious, would i be able to get that material to cover it and will it look good with all the curves?

u ever try wrapping a sheet of paper around a ball? yea, will it look like that?>

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
:disappoin God.. I can imagine when your window roll up handle breaks.. will you fabricate one at a cost of $100 or will you go to a JY and buy one for $5. :confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts