Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In some of my cars in the past, I've added accessories that required power by just pulling a fuse and sticking a stripped wire in with the fuse blade. I know that's not the best way to do things and definitely not what I want to do on my new car.

So what are some of the approaches you guys have taken? For reference, I'm looking at installing fogs, autodim mirror and a backup cam if I spring for the navigation head unit folks have been buzzing about.

One of the things I noticed was the fuse box in the engine bay has a few empty spots - I'd like to tie in from battery to those and use fuses for an "as stock" kind of install. Anyone try this or is it more work than is reasonable?

·
2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,543 Posts
Fogs, relay to battery power and signal with headlamp low beams.

Autodim mirror, uh, maybe find a 12V accessory somewhere along your dash, meaning, turn car on and use a test light to any nearby wires in headliner or along the side, maybe even ignition 12V

Backup camera, should be able to connect straight to your head unit without needing anything else, signal and power comes from your head unit if you get matching brands.

Getting power from empty fuse locations is a bit cleaner, but works the same if you find any ACCY 12V power, not constant ones.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
When pigtailing into another circuit, just be mindful of the added amperage draw of the new equipment and don't tie to wiring that is undersized for the task and could overheat, fail or cause a fire.

Reactions: seazer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When pigtailing into another circuit, just be mindful of the added amperage draw of the new equipment and don't tie to wiring that is undersized for the task and could overheat, fail or cause a fire.
No doubt - this is what lead me to the idea of putting in a new circuit at the fuse block. I was thinking of creating two - one relayed off of acc and one that's constant power. I really don't like the idea of slicing and dicing the existing wiring.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,715 Posts
the best way to get power under hood-"hot plate". if you'll open fuse box right in the middle you'll see 10mm nut and metal plate under it.
Put circle or u-shaped contact under nut and you got perfect connection.
You’ll get power only when ign. key in on and accs position.
The best place inside of the car- accs wire under steering column. most likely thick yellow wire going in the bundle to ign.lock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the best way to get power under hood-"hot plate". if you'll open fuse box right in the middle you'll see 10mm nut and metal plate under it.
Put circle or u-shaped contact under nut and you got perfect connection.
You’ll get power only when ign. key in on and accs position.
The best place inside of the car- accs wire under steering column. most likely thick yellow wire going in the bundle to ign.lock.
Hey, I like that! Good idea. I can't believe I didn't even notice that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts