Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and I am looking to buy a Solara Convertible.
I have searched and can't find any recent advice.
I am concerned about the timing belt...wear and cost to replace vs buying a 2007 or 2008 which has a timing chain.
Any other concerns or things need to know about?
Can I ask about good mechanic recommendations in North Alabama/Tenn.?

Any Advice is appreciated !!

Thank-You ....Alan

·
Registered
518 Posts
The 2.4, 4-cylinder Solara had timing chain from 2002-2008. From 1999-2001 the 2.2, 4-cylinder used a timing belt.

The 6 cylinder (both 3.0 & 3.3) used the timing belt from 1999-2008.

Timing belt was supposed to be replaced every 90K miles. Usually the water pump was replaced at the same time. First time I was quoted $840 to do the belt & water pump on my 1999 6-cylinder by a dealership, I balked and looked up how to do it on youtube. I did it myself for under $150 in quality parts. Since then, have also done same on two other 3.0's, a 3.3 and 2.2 engine.

Back in the day (when v-8's were king), many believed timing chains had a useful life of about 120K miles. After that, the wear on the chain and sprockets allow for too much slop which caused the engine to suffer in performance. However, with today's computer controlled engines, that's not really an issue.

I've been told that these chains on Toyotas, with proper engine lubrication, can usually expect a life of 300K miles.

Hope this was of some help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you like to fly down the highway with the greatest of ease, you gotta take a look at the 2nd generation Toyota Solara convertible. This is the type of car that can make you look like a millionaire at a value price.

·
TableRocked
184 Posts
My wife loves her 2008 Solara SLE convertible, owned since new, with only 40k original miles...... keep in mind the V6 is still an interference based engine, so belt replacement is critical, even with low miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts