Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new here and im looking into getting a MKII MR2. I did some searches and really didnt find the answers to my questions so here I go. I was wondering what the best model year is to buy in the MKII series. Im guessing the last year they made them(they had all the kinks worked out?) Mabey im wrong. Also what are some things I should look for when buying one. What is the avarage cost for the 3sgte motor and labor. Im guessing labor would be more then say a honda swap. Thanks for the help guys, Brent

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
A good low milaged 3s-gte motor will prolly cost you anywhere from 1000-1500.
Labor estimates? I'd say around edit$1000. Maybe more depending on where you go.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
CamNub said:
A good low milaged 3s-gte motor will prolly cost you anywhere from 1000-1500.
Labor estimates? I'd say around 2000. Maybe more depending on where you go.
:bullshitz

Are you looking for just a motor swap or an entire clip? My labor for an entire NA -> Turbo swap was only $800.... camnub is talking crazy talk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any diffrence between a JDM 3sgte and a USDM? Like is it the LSD. If i were to get a 91-93 turbo what thinks on the car would you recomend replacing? Anyone know any good site for MR2 parts? Thanks Brent,

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
gunmetal said:
Is there any diffrence between a JDM 3sgte and a USDM? Like is it the LSD. If i were to get a 91-93 turbo what thinks on the car would you recomend replacing? Anyone know any good site for MR2 parts? Thanks Brent,
Limited Slip didn't come until '93 on USDM and JDM. The JDM will have no egr and a ceramic turbo. You can try http://partznet.com if you are looking for OEM parts.

As for replacing stuff it really depends on the car. Generally ignition stuff goes pretty quickly... but it's nothing too big to change out.

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
Which year is better for what? They all have benefits :)

The 91/92 are cheaper and have a quicker suspension.
The 93+ have LSD as an option, better stereos and better trannies.
The 94/95s are significantly more rare and will hold their value ~ especially if they are not modified.

There are other subtle differences ... it is really a matter of what you want.

I prefer a cheap used car to have as a project ... so I bought 91s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts