Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
No performance parts

They should have a sign that says Abandon All Hopes for Performance when you buy a Highlander. While the cars are good, nobody makes any performance parts for them. The best you can do is find a manufacturer who can custom make a bar. Rumor has it that Addco can make one $$$ if you send them your bar for a template. Same goes for other easy stuff like shocks, HD springs or variable rate for towing. Sucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 that I put Eibach springs on. They lowered the Highlander about an 1" and firmed up the ride. I did the struts at the same time I am happy with the result. To find them use the 2006 Lexus RX330 search. Fit perfectly. I bought them at Tire Rack

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6 and 2019 Hybrid Rav 4 xle
779 Posts
seems there would be a lot of interest in a slightly stronger anti sway bar, especially if its a bolt on.

·
Registered
'02 Highlander V6 AWD
115 Posts
I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it, but Addco makes a performance sway bar for the 1st gen Highlander (It's for 2001-2007 4WD models only apparently, despite having the appearance of 2001-2003 4WD models). It's their model 2109 and is a nice thick powder-coated 22.2mm bar which is a nice upgrade over the flimsy 15mm OE "sphagetti sway bar" and is about half a mm thicker than the rear bar on my mom's 2014 RX350 F-Sport. The kit comes with some metal clamps for the bushings, and the 22mm bushings that are not split, so I had to split them myself. I'm not sure if it still available as it took me a long time to find one. Body roll was reduced significantly, as was the understeer - I like this neutral handling a lot more than stock. Adding H&R RX300 lowering springs was the icing on the cake, these two together make the car come to life. I believe this bar would fit an AWD RX300 as well as it shares the same rear bar with the 4WD HL. The only problem I encountered was that after a month the crappy, rusty original driver's side sway bar bracket broke. I had to design one and make it out of angle iron, needless to say it is overkill and has been working perfectly!

(Edit) - This is where I got it from: https://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/ADD2109.htm

·
Registered
'02 Highlander V6 AWD
115 Posts
I remember having to call the number that SFX Performance provided in order to actually get a request out to have one of the bars custom-made. They told me they know someone who has the jig that can still make them. I'd say it's worth a shot! 😀

Another upgrade that is helpful in general if you have an 01-03 4WD (and it's actually almost required if you do end up with the sway bar) is upgrading the rear end links to some heavy duty Moog Problem Solvers for a Nissan Versa/Cube.

·
Registered
'02 Highlander V6 AWD
115 Posts
Everywhere the Addco 2109 is listed, it's out of stock. :(
Oh, I just realized you have an '06 Highlander. There is a 19mm rear sway bar upgrade out there on eBay for AWD 2004-2009 Lexus RX330/350s on eBay. It's pricier than the Addco and isn't as thick, but it will fit because the RX and HL actually share the rear sway bar. This can be a last resort if you can't get the Addco.

The bar: 03-09 LEXUS RX350 4WD ULTRA RACING 19MM REAR ANTI BODY ROLL SWAY BAR STABILIZER | eBay

Reference: 19 mm Rear sway/roll bar on the rear of my RX - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

·
SDCA Toyota Fan
16 Posts
Oh, I just realized you have an '06 Highlander. There is a 19mm rear sway bar upgrade out there on eBay for AWD 2004-2009 Lexus RX330/350s on eBay. It's pricier than the Addco and isn't as thick, but it will fit because the RX and HL actually share the rear sway bar. This can be a last resort if you can't get the Addco.

The bar: 03-09 LEXUS RX350 4WD ULTRA RACING 19MM REAR ANTI BODY ROLL SWAY BAR STABILIZER | eBay

Reference: 19 mm Rear sway/roll bar on the rear of my RX - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Wow!

The UltraRacing website was one of the first placed I looked when I first bought this car. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
'02 Highlander V6 AWD
115 Posts
Wow!

The UltraRacing website was one of the first placed I looked when I first bought this car. Thanks for the link!
No problem! Good luck with the sway bar! ;)

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6 and 2019 Hybrid Rav 4 xle
779 Posts
if it truly does fit Highlander too then they should say that I think a lot of people would buy

·
Registered
'02 Highlander V6 AWD
115 Posts
I agree that they should. The bushings, end links, sway bar, and even the mounting brackets themselves share the same part number so they could have taken advantage of that. Same applies for other models.

Attachments

·
SDCA Toyota Fan
16 Posts
The verdict is in. The UltraRacing rear swaybar for the RX350 also fits the Kluger/Highlander.

Interestingly, the sticker on the part indicates that it also fits the Harrier.

This is the first time that I've removed the spare. For anyone that's never done this, I recommend going through the exercise in your driveway once, instead of on the side of the highway, at night, in the rain.

The UltraRacing bar is 2 mm more girthy.

Before:

And After:

For the most part this was a pretty simple job. I probably spent 30 minutes on it. But it wasn't completely free of aggravation.

Here are a few tips ...

Don't tighten anything until you've got all the nuts & bolts started.

Of these two brackets, life is a little easier if you install the left one second.

Even with all of the nuts & bolts loose, it's a challenge getting that last bracket aligned just right. So, I used a clamp to help out a little. Maybe if you have an iron grip then you wouldn't need to do this.

(Please don't laugh.)

Perhaps this might have been a little easier if I raised the body so that the suspension is unloaded.

·
Registered
'02 Highlander V6 AWD
115 Posts
Thank you for the pictures and update! I wonder why they changed the sway bar shape from my Highlander compared to 2004-2007 Highlanders? For the spare maybe?

I also had half of the sway bar bracket bolts break on me even after heat and penetrating oil - gotta love Canadian roads 😂

·
Registered
'02 Highlander V6 AWD
115 Posts
Unfortunately FWD models not only use a different bar, but also different mounting brackets. You may be able to find something from a Solara or Camry - but I’m not quite sure.

·
Squirrel Chaser Extraordinaire
2004 Highlander Base
311 Posts
The Camry is reputed to be built on the same basic chassis.

OK...that's a good start, but I am wondering if the gyrations that the bar makes to avoid rear wheel drive components amount to something that results in no interference with components present on the '04 FWD model. I'll have to get myself out to a salvage yard, to take some photos and measurements to see if they compare favorably for me.

·
Registered
'02 Highlander V6 AWD
115 Posts
I was curious and checked on eBay and all the Camry rear sway bars after 2001 and before 2012 look very similar to the Highlander FWD one, it just has a little dip in the middle to probably clear something - which looks like it would do nothing to interfere with the Highlander's setup. 1A Auto has a video of rear sway bar links being changed and the mounting looks practically identical on the two cars. This sounds very promising! Not to mention those model years of Camry and FWD Highlanders use the same rear sway bar links as well as the rear sway bar bushing #:48818-33040 - which is shared with apparently a 1996 Camry but I bet it fits more than that. RockAuto has been a huge help for me with stuff like this as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts