Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2005 Black DC Longbed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For Christmas, Santa brought me a Porter Cable polisher, some Lake Country pads, and a Zaino Bros Kit #2. (on PB2's sage advice.) Since we are not having winter here in Texas, I spent the day cleaning my Black Tacoma. It's six months old -- so I figure the paint and clearcoat are hardened and cured -- and I have 5800 total miles so far. Well guess what! This was like getting a new truck. When I got the truck new with 6 miles on it, it did not look this good.

Advice to people considering buying a new vehicle: do not let the dealership "wash" or "detail" your new truck. They do NOT use clean towels and leave swirl marks in the paint, that show up especially in dark colored paint.

I did spend some time reading other forums about the use of the Porter Cable (PC). And I was convinced that with a little care and patience, I could safely use the orbital polisher on my Black Taco.

Admittedly, I practiced on my wife's white Volvo to get the feel of the PC. It is very easy and very quick. I did use very soft, high quality foam pad and the Zaino Z2 non-abrasive polish.

Well the dealer induced swirls and imperfections are gone. And the paint feels silky smooth -- like budda! I am really happy with the results and I will report back on how long the shine lasts. This truck is an outdoor vehicle -- the Volvo gets the garage...

The Zaino kit comes with pretty detailed instructions on the specific steps to take to get the maximum shine. And I think with more practice I will get better at the process.

:whatwhat: :whatwhat: :whatwhat:

·
Lady in Red
1,515 Posts
:thumbsup: Wow, that is some nice shine! Great photos too. I'd say your truck looks better than new and I know you must be turning some heads driving around town! Does that stuff work on the stainless too? Are those Aries nerf bars or Westins?

·
my name isn't really Bob
Solara
1,887 Posts
Wow thats glossy! Nothing like a nice finish on a black vehicle. You should look into using clay bar, im not sure on its exact use, but it fills in all the little imperfections in the body, giving it a glass like smoothness.

·
2005 Black DC Longbed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
elwinna said:
:thumbsup: Wow, that is some nice shine! Great photos too. I'd say your truck looks better than new and I know you must be turning some heads driving around town! Does that stuff work on the stainless too? Are those Aries nerf bars or Westins?
Westin step bars -- I think they are offering some protection from paint chips that many here have complained about. I also can stand on them to wash the roof of my truck.

About stainless or chrome I am not sure. I do know Meguiers makes a chrome polish, but I haven't tried it yet...

:rolleyes:

·
2005 Black DC Longbed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fresco Bob said:
Wow thats glossy! Nothing like a nice finish on a black vehicle. You should look into using clay bar, im not sure on its exact use, but it fills in all the little imperfections in the body, giving it a glass like smoothness.
The Zaino kit comes with 2 clay bars. And I did clay the truck after it's wash, before polishing. The detailed instructions in the kit explained how to use clay -- also quite easy. And actually the clay doesn't fill in imperfections, its shears off stuff that is attached to the clearcoat. It works sort of like a wet eraser. It is very cool. It adds to the overall shine!

:clap:

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
Truck looks great!

How long would you say it took to complete the process from start to finish? I take my truck to detail shop that does good work, but I'm thinking about doing it myself to save some cash.

·
2005 Black DC Longbed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SilverStreak05 said:
Truck looks great!

How long would you say it took to complete the process from start to finish? I take my truck to detail shop that does good work, but I'm thinking about doing it myself to save some cash.
Probably a total of five hours; but in bits and pieces. The initial wash and clay bar process was about 90 minutes. Took a break... The first polish on phase was pretty quick with the Porter Cable -- 45 minutes. Took an hour or two off for supper. Buffing (by hand) -- about 45 minutes. Another polish on phase -- another 45 minutes. I left that coat on overnight. Removed the excess polish and buffed by hand this morning -- maybe an hour... Yup, about five hours or so.

·
Registered
05 taco
200 Posts
man , that is so sexy :licklips: heh heh just kididn but seriiously it looks great :thumbup:

·
Don't mess with the Blue
'06 DC Sport TRD
1,809 Posts
Man, that shine really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. hahaha. Great Job. It's 12:15 a.m. right now and you are making me want to go wash and wax my truck right now. Damn good job.

·
Registered
226 Posts
WOW!!! Your truck looks sexy:cool: I was going to get black also to match my bike but ended up getting silver.:)

N

·
0 Posts
Very nice job. Black always looks killer when it is just washed and waxed. Too bad it gets dirty so easy because it looks so nice when first done. I won't buy a Black truck again because of that but man that looks sweet! :thumbup:

BTW - you know the wax job is done great when you can see the reflection of the guy taking the picture in the paint! :smokin:

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
AlpineJLAudio said:
Damn.

Good labor.

I jock.

Wait until Pb2theMax sees this.
Looks sweet. I told ya that Porter Cable buffer is the shiz. And good choice with the Lake Country pads. FYI, You can wash the pads by hand or in the gentle cycle with some Woolite.

Here's some extra info for the Porter Cable. Whenever you have to polish out some swirls or scratches, Spray the pad with a quick mist of quick-detail, to add a little lubrication. Then put your polish on the pad, then pad on the paint. Turn ON to speed #2 and then speed up to #4, and then finish with speed #5. The extra speed makes the polish heat up a little and work harder. Once the polish starts to disappear, stop and repeat it all again, if needed.

For polishing scratches and other paint damage I use 4" pads. The smaller pad lets you concentrate more work on a smaller area, and produces results faster.

That Porter Cable buffer will be one of the best tools you'll ever own.

Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Here's mine the first time I waxed it. It looks even better now, now that I have polished it and really worked it over with the PC buffer.

[URL=http://img494.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tacoma13ii.jpg]
[/URL]

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
elwinna said:
Unless the chrome has some surface rust or corrosion, just wax it. But un-coated stainless and aluminum benefits from using Mother's metal and aluminum polishes.

BTW, the wheels on our Tacomas have a clear-coat over the aluminum. Do not use aluminum polish. Treat the wheels just like you do your truck hood. Polish and wax.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
PR_TACO said:
:clap: nice job, any info where i can buy the pc.
You just happened to be shopping at the right time. This is the cheapest I have seen a good kit sell for.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-upm-kit.html ($127 for the kit)

Also be sure to order a few extra pads of varying firmness. I mostly use the Sonus yellow pads for polishing and the blue pads for finishing and waxing.

Autopia is also a good site to order polish, wax, and towels. I really love their big waffle weave micro-fiber drying towels (the yellow with red trim).

Check their forums for deals and discount codes to the Autopia store.

http://www.autopia.org/

·
2005 Black DC Longbed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PR_TACO said:
:clap: nice job, any info where i can buy the pc.
Before buying anything I suggest spending some time browsing the www.autopia.org web forum. Guys and Gals like us over there -- but into detailing their rides. Many pro detailers too -- willing to share their experiences. There is a TON of great info there and like here there are a million opinions floating around. After some time in their forum, you will be able to decide for yourself the best products for your situation.

But the Porter Cable 7224 or 7336 are VERY popular with them -- especially for beginners. The cheapest price I've seen for it is at Lowe's for $99. But you will need pads and polish too.

Check out PB2theMAX's suggested polishng products at www.zainobros.com. Their products seem to be highly respected, again, especially for novice or wannabe detailers.

:)

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
outlaw704 said:
But the Porter Cable 7224 or 7336 are VERY popular with them -- especially for beginners. The cheapest price I've seen for it is at Lowe's for $99. But you will need pads and polish too.

:)
If you have the choice, get the 7424 over the 7336.

Autopia is the best. Great service and fast shipping. :thumbup:
Personally, I don't use Zaino, but it is good stuff, especially if you only want to wax your truck once or twice a year. Their products are all meant to work together. Don't mix different brands with Zaino stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts